Woman's Own Afghans magazine

ellcrys11

I found a new magazine today called Afghans. It is from Womens's Own. It will also say Knit or Crochet.

Some of the patterns have both a knit and crochet instructions for the same item. There is a lot of crochet patterns in this book. It is well worth the cost of the magazine. I found it in my grocery store.

This may sound silly but does it have a subscription card in it somewhere? Or a phone number I can call to subscribe to it? I'm obsessed with afghans. I think they are just too cool and with 3 kids and a husband who all want one of their own I need lots of ideas......not counting what I want to do for myself :hook .

Thanks

Lisa

There is not a subscription card in the magazine. From what I have read this magazine is only published once a year. The only number(s) that are listed are 212-807-7100 and 212-463-9958. There is not any 800 numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a search, and did not see that this had been discussed before. If it has, my apologies, and mod/admin please move/delete as appropriate.

Has anyone ever heard of Woman's Own Afghans magazine? I hadn't, but I spied it in the grocery store this morning and snatched it up. (I know, I know...peruse before buying, but I didn't have time.) It says it's published once a year.

I'm really pleased, after just flipping through it (good thing, it was $7!). I can't wait to spend more time, but there were several patterns...33 super easy projects to knit and crochet. Excitingly enough, there appear to be more crochet patterns than knit patterns. Most of the patterns are for afghans, although I did see four or five for scarves and ponchos.

There is a tutorial on tunisian crochet, with two super cute patterns for butterfly pillows (I adore butterflies!). The knit afghans were so-so (there's one with fun fur!), but I really liked some of the crochet afghans. There's a crayon afghan pattern, reversible rainbow, trip around the world (looks like a quilt).

For a magazine junkie like me, this is a great fix!

Have not heard of that one, will have to see if Wally world carries it tonight when I go to work. I want it for the tunisian tutorial, if nothing else! Thanks for the heads up on that.:yay

If I'm not mistaken, this magazine used to be Country Quilt presents Country Afghans. I have 2 issues under this name (2003 & 2004),the 2005 issue says Woman's own presents Country Afghans and this year it is Women's Own presents Afghans. All the ones I have have been mainly crochet, but this year's has more knitted patterns and more non-afghan patterns.

Nice...not spectacular, but nice. I got a few ideas, althought I won't have a chance for a LONG time, since I'm drowing in projects screaming to be finished first. It's a wonder I can sleep at night with the noise from my closet.

My favorite one was the granny squares using hot pink for the border. I did a smiliar one from last year's issue using blue and it came out great. I too am a magazine junkie, the other patterns were only so-so. Really not worth the cost of the magazine. Charlene

I actually liked it. I think it's the only knit/crochet publication that I've ever seen where crochet predominated. Usually the patterns in such things are mainly knit with three or four crochet patterns thrown in as a sop. Not that I actually make afghans! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I was sorting through my stash of crochet books and magazines today and discovered something. I have 14 magazines from the same publisher as for the magazine mentioned in the above posts. These are dated 1980 through 1984 and all are called simply "Afghans." A lot of them I got from ebay. Since I love crocheting afghans, I might pursue this a little bit and call the executive publisher for more info about future publications.

• 3 years later...
Where are you finding the magazine? Grocery store? Book store? Magazine stand?

I have 2 from previous years. Right now I'm doing an afghan from the 2005 one (Texas Rose).

Thanks.

Debbi

I was reading some older sock patterns on the 'ville and getting off topic, found this thread on the ville. I found one of the old magazines listed on Ebay.

I love doing afghans and would love to be able to see some new magazines come out. I was just wondering if they still publish them..... off to check out the Texas Rose! :yes

Archived