Boring Project!

Pretty arrogant of me seeing as I am a novice ... but oh baby! Is my newest project a complete YAWN!:lol

It is called "crocheted sweater". Linked from "Another crocheted sweater" from CPC. It seemed perfect for a newbie like me...and it is but if I never crochet anothe sc it won't be too soon!

If I didn't already splurge on the Woolease sport yarn, I would reconsider...and I also need the experience but imagine, sport weight yarn, 5 mm hook ALL in sc.:eek

I am nearly half way done with the back...soon I can start the shaping thank goodness! I started the front too (I hate the chain, first row stuff and wanted to get it over with) but only have 4 rows done in front. I work on the back at work, the front at home.

Now the V-stitch poncho I began last night with Caron SS in wine is fun!:clap

Have any of you started a project that just bored the you-know-what outta you?

Yep - a sweater, in sport weight, in a boring stitch is enough to make you want to poke your own eye out, just to give you something new to think about. Does your pattern have sleeves that you do separately? If so, wait till you start on the sleeves. They take *forever*. WAYYYY longer than you think they'll take. I know just how you feel though... I felt that way about a granny square afghan I made for my MIL for christmas. It was a whole bunch of small squares... If I never see another granny square, it will be too soon...

I am making the afghan that has Taz cross stitched on the front...well , the blanket part was all in sc.That was a bore but I made it ...but.....the cross stitching part?:eek OH MY GOD!! I keep asking myself what in the world possesed me to do something like this....I WILL NEVER EVER EVERRRR AGAIN MAKE SOMETHING WITH X STITCHING ON THE FRONT.(OR BACK!:lol )

Pretty arrogant of me seeing as I am a novice ... but oh baby! Is my newest project a complete YAWN!:lol

It is called "crocheted sweater". Linked from "Another crocheted sweater" from CPC. It seemed perfect for a newbie like me...and it is but if I never crochet anothe sc it won't be too soon!

If I didn't already splurge on the Woolease sport yarn' date=' I would reconsider...and I also need the experience but imagine, sport weight yarn, 5 mm hook ALL in sc.:eek

I am nearly half way done with the back...soon I can start the shaping thank goodness! I started the front too (I hate the chain, first row stuff and wanted to get it over with) but only have 4 rows done in front. I work on the back at work, the front at home.

Now the V-stitch poncho I began last night with Caron SS in wine is fun!:clap

Have any of you started a project that just bored the you-know-what outta you?[/quote']

Could be worse. At least it's a 5mm hook. I made a baby dress once that was all in sc (to be fair, the skirt was sc, ch 1) with a 4.25mm hook, and the original pattern called for a 3.75 mm hook! Sport weight yarn, of course. This is the dress. Beautiful, but it took forever!

Single crochet irks me because it takes so long, but I find myself using it often because it is unparallelled when it comes to sculpture crochet. Single crochet + smallish hook + worsted weight yarn = sculpture that holds its shape well. I'm making a sculpture right now with an E (3.5 mm) hook, and even though I'm using HDCs for the most part, it's still taking forever.

Yes i have heaps of projects like that and if i get to annoyed i frog them and do something else entirely with the yarn i bought for the boring one. I get bored easily though so it happens more than my hubby will ever know.TeeHee ! LOL!

Maybe it won't be so boring once you start shaping the sweater. Think of it as good practice to get nice even stitches. And if it gets too boring, rip it out, and find something else to do with the yarn. I seem to like mindless projects when I am at a game watching my kids, or watching television. Keep trying.

Linda:cheer

This is one of the reasons why I'm a big fan of using patterns that use measurements as a guide- that way I can use hdc instead of sc. But sc does give a really nice, neat finish so it will be worth it in the end.

This is one of the reasons why I'm a big fan of using patterns that use measurements as a guide- that way I can use hdc instead of sc. But sc does give a really nice, neat finish so it will be worth it in the end.

Happily this pattern uses measurements rather than rows for the vertical shaping, sooooooooo:

I frogged the darn thing! Instaed of all sc, I am alternating rows of sc and dc.

Not only is it less boring, it is going faster and looks much, much better! The sc is a very neat, uniform finish but it also made the fabric stiffish. Alternating rows gives it a nicer drape.

Could be worse. At least it's a 5mm hook. I made a baby dress once that was all in sc (to be fair, the skirt was sc, ch 1) with a 4.25mm hook, and the original pattern called for a 3.75 mm hook! Sport weight yarn, of course. This is the dress. Beautiful, but it took forever!

OMG! Is that ever GORGEOUS! Dang near took my breath away! I'm so glad you persisted with it, I can see how it could be boring to do so many sc (I'm not a fan of rows and rows of nothing but sc either), but boy, was it ever worth it! What a piece of eye candy! :manyheart

UGH! I hate tons of mindless SC's! The FCEC Felted Tote had like 54 rows all in SC, it's was insane! I just did a big football pillow that was ALL SC's! I had to finish it by this weekend so I worked on it ALL DAY yesterday! I was literally nodding off while working on it. I like patterns that aren't so difficult that I have to keep frogging to get it right, but that change stitches every so often and keep it fresh. I mean, how hard is it to SC? There seem to be so many SC patterns out there...

I love that sweater pattern, I've seen it before. But I can definitely relate to the annoyingly monotonous scs. I bought the book Cool Crochet with a ton of cool sweater patterns and started a tank that was done with Lustersheen and an E hook :eek. It wasn't all sc, I think it alternated sc and dc, but I thought I would never finished. Actually :blush I still haven't, I paused it till closer to spring so maybe I'll feel more in the mood then!

I did a baby blanket like that and it seemed to take forever. (It was a sc ripple in sport yarn). And since it had to be done by a certain date, I couldn't swtich up to other projcts as much as I wanted. Though, I do like having one mindless project to work on when I'm really tired or watching a good TV show.

I like working in sc or hdc due to the the fabric not having holes in it (which isn't good if you want to wear it). But, after that afgan, I've always gone for something with at least a bit of a pattern in the stitching or with cables in it.

Just remind yourself that it will be worth the effort at the end. The end result will be great.

Oh ugh!!! I worked on a camo afghan for my brother for 9 months. I was so sick of that thing that I actually did a very happy dance when finished. :loco

I love HDC. I truly do. That is my absolute favorite stitch. Faster than single crochet, and not as short. It's a good compromise.

Not only is it less boring, it is going faster and looks much, much better! The sc is a very neat, uniform finish but it also made the fabric stiffish. Alternating rows gives it a nicer drape.

Yeah, I hate that SCs can get stiff sometimes. I'm glad you found a compromise that works!

And Goldi, thanks for the compliment. I need to hurry up and get the buttons on it and see if it actually fits my daughter! It's one of those things that I made just to prove to myself that I could.

Archived