Do the yarn people think we are all rich? (Warning, rant ahead!)

donnalynn2

I've noticed something for awhile that even seems to be getting worse...

Why do yarn companies come out with these "free patterns" but use such expensive materials and so many skeins so that if you were to make it, it would cost an arm and a leg?

Case in point: I got some Ticker Tape at Michaels, I went to the Moda-Dea website and the only pattern that uses that yarn is for a poncho. The pattern calls for 10 balls of this stuff! Buying it regular price at $8.95 each, it would cost over $90 to make it with tax!!!

Am I the only one who is bothered by this? Sure I know they want me to buy their yarn buy I'd be more inclined to but all the yarn for a certain project if it was even half-way affordable to do it!

Sorry, just another one of my rants...

I can agree. A lot of the patterns are really pretty but the yarn is very expensive and what I have a problem with is many of it is hand wash, dry flat. Now if I am giving something as a gift, I want it to be easy care for the recipient (does that look right?). Anyway, I try to get the novelty yarn when it is on sale and I still go for machine wash or use it as a trim or edging. Tried and true to me is the good old fashioned acrylic (boring sometimes but more practical for me and the person getting it).

LI Roe

One of the posters on another thread was kind enough to let me know how she washes hand wash stuff but I still haven't tried it yet. Haven't found any yarn I was really thrilled about. Or it could be me??

It does seem that yarn prices are getting a bit ridiculous. If something is really nice and I really can't imagine using something else, I'll buy it but it seems like all the free patterns and a lot of the patterns coming out in magazines call for over-priced specialty yarns. The skeins keep getting smaller and smaller while the prices get higher and higher.

One of the reasons my grandmother used to love making things by hand is because you could have beautiful things that cost less than buying them in the store. These days it seems to be the opposite. It costs more to make something by hand than it does just to buy it.

It's why I give handmade presents to people who KNOW to appreciate them and value the time, effort, love, overcoming difficulties, etc. in order to give them a very special symbol of affection.

I've been crocheting since 1968 and I've watched yarn up and up in price. You used to be able to go to Woolworth and get every color in the rainbow. Now they don't supply the different variegated colors of browns or oranges or burnt orange or different greens like they use to.

I've never used the type of yarn that the pattern calls for. I always pick my own colors and whatever yarn I want to crochet with.

Linda

Honestly it makes no sense to me to spend bookoodles of money on novelty yarn. It's like spending wads of cash on the latest trendy clothes. Why bother, when it's going to be out of style within a year? Spend the big bucks on the classics, shop the discount stores for the fad-of-the-month.

But if you have your heart set on a particular yarn whatever you're making and can't find a good substitute, don't forget eBay. I got enough Thick & Quick chenille to make an afghan (12 skeins) for $36 including shipping ... not much more than I would have paid for RH or SS, and a LOT less than it would have cost at Michael's or Joann's. I've seen Homespun at the same price, and some of the more expensive yarns at half or less what they'd go for in your LYS -- for example, I recently picked up 20 skeins of gorgeous apricot-colored laceweight wool for $16 including shipping.

I do find that I'm becoming more of a yarn snob the more I crochet though, so the high prices do hurt to see. Where I used to only use acrylics, and I still use quite a bit of SS and the like for baby blankets, afghans that will get a lot of use, and so on ... if I'm making clothing for my adult daughter or my mother or my sister the knitter, I want to use the good stuff. They appreciate it, and it's worth it to me. Even if it makes me wince when I pay for it.

for example, I recently picked up 20 skeins of gorgeous apricot-colored laceweight wool for $16 including shipping.

:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool

:blush Sorry, you turned on the faucet with that description! :devil

Yes, the outrageously high prices and skimpy skeins really bug me too, the latter most of all because it's such a pain to have to hide those stupid tails!

I figure, if I'm going to be forced to spend such high amounts on yarn, I might as well go for the really good stuff now, since there's very little gap between them anymore.

As pretty as the Ticker Tape is, I've passed it up numerous times - and will again, even at the reduced rate if I can find it, because of that second issue.

Now, about that apricot-colored laceweight... :dreaming:c9:dreaming Would it be possible to see a pic of this luscious sounding yarn? TIA!

I've noticed something for awhile that even seems to be getting worse...

Why do yarn companies come out with these "free patterns" but use such expensive materials and so many skeins so that if you were to make it, it would cost an arm and a leg?

Am I the only one who is bothered by this? Sure I know they want me to buy their yarn buy I'd be more inclined to but all the yarn for a certain project if it was even half-way affordable to do it!

They come out with the "free patterns" that use expensive materials and large amounts of yarn because they are out for a profit and if you like the pattern and want to use their yarn, they'll make money.

I agree with the others that you might consider doing the project in a less expensive yarn. Or you should sign up for the discount coupons as well as watch the Sunday papers, thereby saving forty percent on the skeins. (You might have to live with variable dye lots.) Some yarn stores (not Michael's or JoAnn's obviously) will allow you to set aside a certain number of balls in a dye lot and you can buy them over time (say 2 each week). (You know, depending on the type of yarn, a LYS really isn't THAT much more expensive than a big box store. And lots of LYS's have loyalty programs. Plus most LYSs have their "clearance" section too where you can really clean up on quality yarns!)

These days it seems to be the opposite. It costs more to make something by hand than it does just to buy it.

Well, you're comparing apples to oranges. If you make something by hand, it is certainly cheaper than if you purchased the same handmade item from someone else. It's always cheaper to make it yourself but it's not always cheaper to have someone else make it. But as you say, it is cheaper to get something that is machine made.

It's also important to consider, however, where something is made. Yes, a lot of things are cheap because they are made in countries where labor is cheap and so the savings are passed along to you. But you have to also consider that the person who made that item didn't get paid what their time and effort was worth either and that's wrong too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks yarn is too expensive.

I remember a time when it was cheaper to make sweaters and clothing than it was to buy in the shops. Most women at that time crochet or knitted for the family. I know all the women in my family did. It was a very practical hobby.

Now it's the other way around. I can buy a lovely cardigan in the shops ready made for 1/4 of the price it would cost me to knit it. No wonder people don't bother anymore.

I guess that means I have to get the camera fixed, since the new digital for Christmas got put on hold due to finances ... I'll get it working this weekend and get a pic posted for you, Goldi :)

Ooh, that's really sweet of you, but don't worry on my account. I can just use my vivid imagination. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get your new camera, hope things improve for you soon! :hug

They come out with the "free patterns" that use expensive materials and large amounts of yarn because they are out for a profit and if you like the pattern and want to use their yarn, they'll make money.

I agree with the others that you might consider doing the project in a less expensive yarn. Or you should sign up for the discount coupons as well as watch the Sunday papers, thereby saving forty percent on the skeins. (You might have to live with variable dye lots.) Some yarn stores (not Michael's or JoAnn's obviously) will allow you to set aside a certain number of balls in a dye lot and you can buy them over time (say 2 each week). (You know, depending on the type of yarn, a LYS really isn't THAT much more expensive than a big box store. And lots of LYS's have loyalty programs. Plus most LYSs have their "clearance" section too where you can really clean up on quality yarns!)

That wasn't really my point... I am a bargain hunter and a half... I use my 40% off coupons every week and scout out the bargains, but that's not what my issue is... I finally broke down and bought some of that Ticker Tape because it was such a good deal and now that I have, I can't seem to find ANYTHING to make with it! The ONLY pattern I can find is for that poncho that calls for 10 skeins... I can't even find something comparable to do it that way... If I find a "free" pattern I really like, I don't usually do it in the yarns it calls for, but what about the flip side? When you have a great yarn that you can't find a pattern for? Make any sense????

you said you got it at a good price.. here it was marked to like 2.79 . so 10 skeins outs you at 28 dollars.. .. is the poncho not worth that ?

or did you just want to make something small? and if that is the case find a pattern that calls for the same yardage that you have and go for it .. i am sure there is SOMETHING out there that calls for the same yardage or close to it..

i have used that yarn.. my niece picked it for her christmas presents this year.. i made her a very simple shrug by making a long rectangle as wide as the circumference of her arm.. and as long as the yarn went.. it made it about elbow length using one skein of yarn.. i laced it on the seam with a matching ribbon .. so if she gets larger she can still wear it .. i also made her a hat and fingerless gloves using two more.. granted i didnt get the deal i paid full price but the look on her face when she got the gifts was more than worth the 40 dollars i spent on yarn ..

It's really sad considering many people craft in an attempt to spend less money! But now the DIY thing is the trend and companies are making out because of it.

• 1 month later...

I agree that the cost of yarn is ridiculous. I do get upset at yarn snobs, because not everyone has a lot of money to spend on a project.

I usually purchase the cheaper acrylic yarns, like Caron Simply Soft, or use wool-ease. They're much easier to take care of; just put in the washer.

I have only bought expensive yarn to make presents. But anything for a child, or a hat, blanket, those are going to be acrylic because they are durable.

With pricier yarn, and I mean $6 and up for a skein, I have made shawls and ponchos, as well as felted bags. Those are worth it, because they are probably going to be dry cleaned.

I usually always substitute different yarns than in the pattern. I really wanted to purchase Noro Silk yarn to make a shawl.. but it would have cost me $100!

I totally agree the price of yarn is terrible. I know what the one lady was saying about she could remember that her Mom use to buy material that cheap. If my grandmother knew how much I pay for my materials she would roll over in her grave. She use to go and cut up dresses and shirts for her quilting materials. pinkroses.

You know, I have to say I can't even stand going to Michael's for yarn anymore because ours only seems to carry novelty yarn & acrylic anymore. I do like natural fibers best. But about that novelty yarn -- I just can't even imagine making some of the items I see in the magazines. I mean, I really don't want to make a sweater entirely out of fun fur!!! One thing that the original poster might consider is simply using some of the novelty yarns as trims and accents rather than for an entire piece.

I don't know what to say about the ticker tape yarn though -- if there's only one pattern with it, then it's just faddy. I guess you could make a scarf or something. Might be an interesting thread to post about different novelty yarns to find out what projects folks have made with them.

Nope Donna you are not alone.

Another thing that bugs me is when you buy a crochet hard back book and the patterns use a brand of yarn that is not easily availabe in regular stores that carry yarn. Like how are we to know what ply the yarn is??:think

:hook

Prices have gone up and some of the skeins have gone down in size.

This is the way they work. It is all for profit.

I agree though, that if you really like the pattern, than you should go and buy the yarn, or put the pattern on hold till the yarn is on sale.

I also bought the ticker tape, cause I liked the color, price and softness of it. I only picked up 6 skeins, cause I was not sure how much I would need. Now I have a very nice pattern in mind and it will take 10. Sooooooooooo, I am going to see if it is still on sale, if not, I will put the pattern on hold till I can buy more.

Hey when the yarn is a bargin, you pick it up, check you patterns, if you need more, wait for the next sale and get the rest. Nuff said.:hook

Archived