Following a pattern

Good idea, Tonya.

I am most thankful for my loving husband and my family.

I will be spending the holiday with my parents (my husband will be out of the country) and that in itself is pretty cool because a year ago my dad had major heart problems and only 15% of his heart was working. But he is now working and living an almost-normal life and has made some awesome changes in his life.

Oh, and yarn.

I tend to change a pattern as a I see fit. Sometimes it's something simple, such as swapping out bobbles for popcorn stitches and sometimes I'll start with a published pattern and segue into one that is made up as I go. If I can see a way to add my own personal style to something or will improve the original a bit, then I go for it.

I usually make changes in patterns. I tell my crochet students that a pattern is a starting off place and if they don't like something in the pattern they should change it. Some students find that freeing and some find it terrifying but it definitely gets them to think about the pattern.

I started by trying to follow patterns exactly- but after tearing my hair out a few times trying to work out how I was following a pattern wrong I finally came to realise that even 'professional' patterns have mistakes in. I found now that as I learn more about how objects go together I am changing patterns more and more to my liking. I actually made myself a shawl last night without a pattern- its only a simple design but I couldn't find a pattern for a bottom-up shawl (although I am sure I have seen one mentioned somewhere) so I made up my own.

I always, always, always follow a pattern the first time through. Then, if I don't like something about it, I will change it. I am not that experienced enough yet to be able to "see" what something will look like just from reading the pattern. Hopefully someday I will be that good. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Do you follow a pattern word for word or do you change it a little as you go?

I have to follow a pattern word for word because I am no good at all changing patterns or making up as I go...I must follow.:hook

I always end up with changes. It is usually at least the yarn, if not the color then the actual fiber. The real changes come when I'm trying to cover up a mistake without ripping back. You'd be amazed at what you can't find later sometimes!

Well, since I can't stand the picot stich, I always do away with them in a pattern. Sometimes I follow, sometimes I don't... it just depends on what I'm trying to accomplish!

I always intend to follow the pattern perfectly the first time, then change it next time if I think it needs it.

However, I haven't managed to follow a pattern perfectly yet! I always change things, even if they don't need it. I'm not sure why.

:lol You know I don't know how this happend because of all the crafts that i do i haited crochet,and since my mom pasted away 3 years ago on my brother's birthday nov 30th 2002,I grabes my hooks and started to fool around with them and made me some slipper's and 100 pairs more:lol then my sister irikel send me a book and i flew from there,then i started with the towel toppers,bathroom sets and now the 63 sqs and plan to keep on .but you know whats the big thing of this? that most of the time I can see a pictures and I can come out with it and make it from the picture.and it turns out the same.But now I love crocheting and can't put my needles down.:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :hug :hug I think God has Blessed me with this.

I just can't seem to follow a printed pattern all the way through. Before long I'm altering this, changing that, etc. My daughter says it's because I'm rebellious by nature:) Anyway, this means I crochet with a steno pad & pencil within easy reach to write out my changes as I go.

Alosha

Hi Tonya, talking about patterns... Last night I was following one pattern for my mum´s Christmas present - it will be a cardi. My instinct told me that the pattern was wrong, comparing it with the beautiful picture of the model wearing the cardi ... But I insisted following the pattern instead of the picture... Result... I will have to start the front of the cardigan all over again tonight! Patterns... :think

Do you follow a pattern word for word or do you change it a little as you go?

I usually follow the first time, then I change it the next. Tonya

ahhhhhhhhhh! im overjoyed :clap im not the only one!!! i always wind up changing the pattern but i usually like the results...lol :hook

I had to laugh at Sierra's post above....I can't stand the picot stitch either! :lol Back to the original question though, I follow the original pattern word-for-word the first time, and then make changes the second time around.

I find that if I use a pattern, that I will stay fairly close to the original pattern. After all I decided to make it because it attracted me in the first place. If I find it wonky or poorly written I feel free to make changes. But I rarely use a pattern any more. I like the challenge of designing what I want.

I have found for me second geussing a pattern is not good so I try to follow then next time after I have made the object then I can know where I could change things. Im just not experenced enough to tweek alot. Like tryed tweeking 2 patterns last 2 days for slippers and both days were a flop and have no time for this now as xmas and all so going back to tryed and true pattern.:hook

Archived