Boxing Day 2022, share any charity work!

babypoohsmom

On my weekly dollar tree trip, I found stuffed animals again (hadn’t seen any in quite some time). The are much smaller now. I’ll have to see if I can still use a standard hair tie to make a lovey. 3677EE47-0839-4DD0-B109-E0DA7CC4103C.thumb.jpeg.885e06e8183d7eae86f5668782d7239d.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 9:17 PM, babypoohsmom said:

On my weekly dollar tree trip, I found stuffed animals again (hadn’t seen any in quite some time). The are much smaller now. I’ll have to see if I can still use a standard hair tie to make a lovey. 3677EE47-0839-4DD0-B109-E0DA7CC4103C.thumb.jpeg.885e06e8183d7eae86f5668782d7239d.jpeg

I'm intrigued by your comment about making these stuffed animals into lovey's Are you using a hair tie around the neck to start it and then increase from there is that your tentative plan.... So in theory you're making something like a poncho for it but bigger??

18 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Yes, they are easy and cute! 
E09465FC-6012-4A73-B219-BC987EFFAC92.thumb.jpeg.085ba822a944e7a3e824817c071da030.jpeg289D16D9-4C22-4178-9367-550B8AE9492D.thumb.jpeg.9c4b5bbedf2577f7b946ccc1e31af50a.jpeg

Who cute idea thanks for the suggestion.... It'll give me something else to work on I'm bored.... The 2nd part of the process is to find them home once I finish....:think

Edited by Jayashiangel
  • Like 1

Chris…I put a box in the mail on Wednesday. The receipt says you should get it today. Hope it gets there in time for sorting and delivery. October got away from me really quickly. I think the year picked up speed around the 4th of July and once you survive an August in Phoenix, the rest of the year flies by. 

I posted a thank you in the Wish List area Fri.  I'm always trying to draw attention to that area.  I'm sorry I should have posted one here too.  We are dealing with an old sick dog issue and its become a bit of an obsession trying to get her to eat and then keep food down.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well ladies with help from my cousin who gave me the last two boxes I needed when we visited for a Sunday "Thanksgiving" dinner, we finally have all the doll stuff packed.  When I get a picture of all the boxes in one place I'll post a picture.  I think we have a pretty impressive donation this year. We should be delivering Friday morning before my PT appt.

I bought the plastic reusable bags for next year's donation at Christmas tree shops as the large Christmas bags I'd been using in the past are just not lasting anymore for the year and stuff spills out everywhere.  It will mean using more bags but the stuff will at least stay in bags.

After setting up all the bags for 2023 I was pleased to realize I'm only missing one My Life doll for 2023 and some baby doll accessories that I've started purchasing over making. I tend to buy when I see the stuff on sale and store it.  Some years I look like an episode of doll hoarders and then this year it looks like I'm working through my stash and with sales I'm going to have to start my supply up again when I can find the stuff on sale.

I found a couple of Lots to Love 14" dolls and the feeding kits on sale during Cyber Monday for less than last year.  Most everything else is not close to what I want to pay.  One of the advantages to buying and storing is I don't have to have anything until Christmas of 2024 so I can wait out the recession and hope it ends before I need the dolls.

• Like 3

Hi Bailey, I will send you a My Life doll for 2023. Shipping directly to you is the easiest. Just let me know which kind you’d like. I was at Target with my brother last week and saw one of their brand of 18” dolls that had one arm in a sling or cast. I thought that was odd. I almost snapped a picture with my phone but my brother had moved on because there are no kids in our family so he didn’t expect me to stop on the toy aisle. I had to catch up to him. 
Our family has been attacked by Covid. My oldest brother got it on the day before thanksgiving and he was supposed to host, so I had to scramble to pull together a meal for 6 on no notice. Then Monday my Dad, my 2nd brother and my husband all got sick and tested positive. What a nightmare. Dad is having the worst time with it. Ugh. I made two dishcloths in the ER waiting room last night. I have now been up and taking care of everyone for 36 hours but I can’t sleep. My brain is still in fight or flight mode. 
Hope you all had a better holiday! 

8D5016C2-E02A-4A12-9B0B-2B7FA485BE95.jpeg

Ah Denise, so sorry to hear about everyone being sick.  Between the Flu and COVID, looks like it may be another quite Christmas.

Yesterday we sent out the packages from the Groves here with oranges for the family up North.  Sounds like they fresh oranges will be welcome.

In a couple of weeks we will be ordering the ham for my Daughter's  Birthday (12/27).  She likes the spiral ham we send every year for her birthday from Omaha Steaks.  It is what she ask for and it is what she likes.  We also add the apple torts to it.  NOBODY gets any of the torts, but they can have the ham. :rofl

Well, the decorating is almost done.  Not putting up as much this year and with no tree, it takes less time.

Have a fun day.

• Haha 1

Tampa…I had luckily ordered a Honeybaked ham just because they were on sale and I have a food sealer and was just going to package it for use in sandwiches and omelettes, etc. But I had to get the “fixins”. I pulled it off and it would have been amazing if not for Covid. 
We haven’t had a tree since we got our first cat in 2005!! 

54 minutes ago, babypoohsmom said:

Ooh these are only $15. Are the ok to use? It says posable and I don’t have the box from my model to see if it says that. 

9A32CA92-28A2-4DCD-BA3F-4FFC9E018AE9.png

I'm so sorry about your family.  COVID is so tough, especially around the holidays.

The only one I'd be hesitant about is the Jo Jo doll.  I had never heard of her before but thankfully before I bought one of the dolls a couple of years ago when it was on sale at a ridiculous price I realized she was a "celebrity" doll.  She wasn't just a doll named Jo Jo.  I try to stay away from celebrities because some families love the celebrity others don't like the message and might not let the child play with the doll.  Any of the 3 $15 ones look great.

Thank you so much for doing this.  It is so thoughtful.  I wish I could say things will be better by next Christmas but not sure when this is going to be easier for families.  Sadly I know in this year there are more people needing help and others who have been part of all kinds of drives who just aren't able to give this year.  It is sad.

I was online yesterday looking for the one you sent me for this year's donation but I can't find it anywhere.  I asked DH to check Walmart to see if he can it at the local Walmart as it was cool to have a Hispanic doll in the donation in an area with a large Hispanic population.

I was laughing when you were talking about hanging out in the toy aisle I'm always looking for doll stuff.  My poor husband knows where all the doll stuff is in the stores because if I find something and he's making his weekly stop at ... I'll ask him to stop and pick up...

I find Barbie brand shoes and accessories at Dollar Tree so we even end up stopping there on trips home and hitting the toy aisle cleaning out their stock.  This year they had small cooking and tea sets so the 18" dolls, the Glitter Girl Doll, and the Rag doll are all going off with kitchen stuff to play with to their new homes. I have an Amazon Wish list devoted to dolls so I can check to see if any of the prices drop, one on Walmart, too.  It's the only way this project is affordable, buy on sale on store so I don't have to buy when stuff is at full price or now inflated prices.

Edited by Bailey4

I LOVE Omaha Steaks.  Several years ago DH's best friend bought a cooler over the house for us on Christmas Eve from Omaha as a Christmas present.  We don't have a separate freezer but we made room for all of it.  I'd never heard of them prior to that.

A couple of year's ago DH's mother decided to do couple gifts which I was cool with and much to my delight settled on Omaha Steaks.  Last summer we missed them so much we hit their summer sale and stocked up.  There is just so much to choose from.  It is one of the times I wish we had a real freezer.