Boxing Day 2022, share any charity work!

babypoohsmom

Chris (I always forget your real name, thanks Brenda) thanks so much for the details. I always seem to forget about how the kids have to manage the requests and match them with appropriate donations, etc. I knew there was a life skill in there somewhere. But I’m sure the life lesson about human hardships is also very real.

My coworker has Fridays off and she was very excited to go home and make the hat. It’s the last piece. I’m sure she’ll bring the whole set to work on Monday!

I have so much fun during the year while I make cloths for this charity.  I like the idea that the kids are using this as a school project.  Teaches them as your said organization and such.

I do enjoy the card from them every year wtih their picture on it.

I make cloths for 8" 10" 13" and of course 18".  Plus what I can find inbetween.  They are made with ww, dk and thread.  I hate seeing the package go out, as it means I am done for a couple of months.  But, I get to look thru my patterns to see what I can start making.  Best is that they are small projects, along with blankets with left over yarn.  One of these days, I may make a tote or two.

Still awake.  Been up since 5, so I know a nap is on my schedule.  Thing is I will not know when, I just drop off to sleep.

Have a fun day and Chris thanks for finding this charity, it is fun.

• Like 3

The project has to be submitted and approved each year I believe through the Vocational director so it has to demonstrate that it meets curriculum standards community service alone isn't enough of a goal although it is something the school is known for across the regional districts they serve.

In some ways it is easier for the trades to put together a charitable project and demonstrate how it teaches the skills needed for the students than for some of the tech departments. The building trades have rehabbed a couple of local municipal projects as learning opportunities. I believe they've also participated in a local charity that does home repairs for low income seniors.

I've always thought this was a great way to demonstrate to kids how to utilize their business skills to help others. 

• Like 1

I got a new batch of blankets for the adoption centers cut, washed and tagged. And now our washer is making odd noises…so I guess I have to do my laundry at my Dad’s house tomorrow!  This batch is rainbow, angel unicorn kittens. Cute, whatever they call it! 1E11776B-5615-48DC-94F2-45929E2414BF.thumb.jpeg.7dc06725dd7a67ae7c19653fae6289e4.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

I got a new batch of blankets for the adoption centers cut, washed and tagged. And now our washer is making odd noises…so I guess I have to do my laundry at my Dad’s house tomorrow!  This batch is rainbow, angel unicorn kittens. Cute, whatever they call it! 1E11776B-5615-48DC-94F2-45929E2414BF.thumb.jpeg.7dc06725dd7a67ae7c19653fae6289e4.jpeg

You inspired me to make like your blankets.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 10:13 PM, babypoohsmom said:

Thanks Mary Jo and welcome Stef! Have you been here and I missed you or are you new to the CAL? Either way, welcome! 

Hello Denise (one of my sister's names, love it)

I am new!! 🖐️ Beginner at crochet, taught the basics by my grandparents and I'm working off of tutorial videos now until I learn to read patterns and graphs, and learn a few more basic stitches. I have a few blankets going, and I am working on a cat mat too. I'll post a picture but its almost done now. I love these colors, and I found a stitch that blends them well. I come around to see all the beautiful work that everyone posts. It definitely gets me motivated 😍

IMG-8239.jpg

IMG-8240.jpg

• Like 2

Glad to have you here! I was a “stalker” for several months before I posted.

i like the blanket and the stitch is perfect. I’ve never tried that one before. I wonder how it would look with a total scrappy arrangement? Hmm…

Excited to see your cat mats! I’m off to work today. Traffic control for the Cardinals game.

Edited by babypoohsmom

Stef, your grandpa looks very pleased with his blanket! And Bailey, I like the glitter girl dress. I have my doll back now and need to get some dresses done. Can you remind me what the cutoff is for getting stuff to you? I feel like I will blink and it will be time to get a box out. 

• Like 1

Ok got to say it.  Traffic control for tonights game?  That is so cool.

Love what you are making LittlBearsPorch.  The colors are so pretty.  Yeah, your grandpa looks very happy with his blanket.

Chris as always love what you are making.

Bailey, I love the green dress!

Denise, he was and still is very pleased with the blanket! It gets the place of honor, front and center on their blanket rack. First thing you see when you walk in! 🥰

I wanted to share another cat mat I am working on. Almost finished with the last row! I also featured my little skein bag in the picture. I found it in a crochet bag I was gifted and it perfectly fits one skein and has a handle strap for easy carrying. I just love it. I wish I had found it sooner, lol. 

2A749BA0-38C6-4FF9-A056-DE6A0AF426CF.jpeg

DC823159-65D6-42EE-8FB1-99BAE00A72A3.jpeg

A6478F46-A910-4726-A0F9-1C99604A81E4.jpeg

A50F027F-6DC5-44F2-B781-7CC524B4AB89.jpeg

• Like 3