Crochet Games of Ancient Greece CAL

Amy

I still haven't caught up on last night's gymnastics, either.  I know it's on demand and it should be somewhere online.

That's so frustrating when picture, chart and pattern don't all match up.  What were they thinking?

I'm starting row 134.  136 is the halfway mark.  I'm going to get to the halfway mark tonight.  I'm determined.  LOL

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still haven't caught up on last night's gymnastics, either.  I know it's on demand and it should be somewhere online.

That's so frustrating when picture, chart and pattern don't all match up.  What were they thinking?

I'm starting row 134.  136 is the halfway mark.  I'm going to get to the halfway mark tonight.  I'm determined.  LOL

My eagle pattern didn't print part of it accurately, so I share your pain! I'm just going by the previous rows to get a sense of what color would be where - and so far so good. At least it's just on the shaded part of the image, and not the eye or something else not as easy to fudge!

Pretty hat! I'm on the last side, last round of the baby blanket, so it should be ready before Saturday's shower. I caught some of the swimming last night and saw a little of the previous gymnastics on my kindle. Still haven't caught the gymnastics when it is being aired, just bits and pieces on line.

Finished the hat, :woo  Now I need to find another project.  The color (on my monitor) is truer in this pic than the last one.  The little ball of yarn is all I had left of the skein!  I used DC instead of HDC on the crown part since I was afraid I'd run out of yarn, and taller stitches use less (per area covered).

you did a beautiful job on that hat!!

Thankfully, spoilers don't bother me.  I'm still watching events using Fire and the NBC app so everything is delayed but much less commentary and more of the actual event which I enjoy. 

After finding my guage seems to require a larger hook again I think I'm back on track with my princess outfit.  I got the bodice finished yesterday and am working on the underskirt today.  This has turned into a very princess donation.

Thanks!

I've been looking for another project that will be a bit of a challenge, and I think I'll try an interlock pattern that I printed out a while ago and have been meaning to try - I've never done this technique before (doesn't look HARD, just some different stitch wrangling to get used to).  

Way to go, Mona!  You should get done today.

Baily, it sounds like it's going to be beautiful.  I love "princess" things.

GS: That is a cool looking pattern.  I love how different it looks when a third color is added.

No Olympics for me today, because I sat in the car service area.  But, I'm now up to row 144.  Downhill now that the halfway point was passed.  LOL

My emotions have been a roller coaster watching the Olympics over the past couple of days ...

Wow'd by Simone Biles' performance at both the team and individual gymnastics.

Amazed by Katie Ledecky's record breaking 800m freestyle where she almost lapped her competitors.

Proud of Michael Phelp's gracious reaction to losing his best known event, the 100m butterfly.

Severely disappointed by Hope Solo's sore loser comments after USA was eliminated in women's soccer.

Happy by Kerri Walsh Jennings and April Ross working so well together.

Giggling at Leslie Jones' dancing in the stands reaction to Jennings/Ross win last night.

So excited to watch Usain Bolt today!

GS: I've never done interlock.  Please fill us in on what you figure out.

I'm on row 163, which is less than 20 rows from being 2/3 done! :D

Granny Square, the hat is very cute!

judianne, the eagle afghan is amazing! I'm impressed by yout patience...

I made 7 button coasters. Here in the pic you can see first four. Of course they need some starching. I already ripped and redid the green coaster, because I experimented with the holes and I didn't like the effect.

post-30828-0-57362000-1471101156_thumb.jpg

Thanks Apak!  Love those buttons, sometimes the simple things are the best :yes

Redroses, I haven't watched much of the Olympics in the last couple of days because hubby was getting tired of them, but I have been keeping up by reading the news...I agree on the Hope Solo comments, "they didn't want to pass the ball"...what?  She just described how much better Sweden was at the game, which made her sound really lame.  I didn't see the swimming, but I managed to catch the awards ceremony on the Phelps silver, how odd to see 3 silvers and a gold awarded.

So, interlock - very interesting technique!  Also really simple, once you see how it works.  I found some videos by Tanis Galic, they were very well done and cleared up the 'finagle'.  

You are making 2 separate fabrics independently, but together.

You start with 2 different base rows, each a different color.  

The stitch pattern is just DC, chain 1 for both, so you are making a mesh (windows).  

One base row is 1 window wider than the other.

You put the longer base row on top of the shorter one, but slightly offset, so the shorter base row is centered under it and its DCs peek thru the windows of the longer base row on top.

You work across each row twice: first with the longer color, then with the shorter color.

The finagle:  You work the stitches of a new row of color A, into the DCs of color A below, thru the window of color B.  You do this either by pulling the stitch-top thru the window to the back, or thru the window to the front.  Then you work across the same way with color B, working into color B below, pulling thru the windows of color A.  

You are never working into, or around (as in, working a stitch over a chain space), a stitch of the other color.  So, each  'fabric' is not actually connected to the other.

You do have to pay attention to the ends, so the tails are pointed either front or back to be in position for the next row...found this out the hard way (you'd have to reorient by working over the turning chain of the other color, which would spoil the reversibility). 

It is sort of fun, and more or less mindless (if you can remember front, back, front, back, orient the tail properly--which I managed to mess up a couple of times at the beginning :frog).  Is sort of dense so makes a nice trivet (has holes so wouldn't use as a pot holder), but I think I'd go with an overlarge hook if I were making a blanket

I really admire US sportsmen with the most medals  :clap  :clap  :clap Poland has only 4, but I'm happy we have at least 4  :cheer .

Experiment is my second name  :lol so I started experimenting on a jar candle holder "dress". I'll show you soon.

Anna, thank you - I'm not sure if it's patience or just my liking a challenge that makes me do so many graph khans. I do love watching the image appear.  My next challenge for myself, among others, will be conquering Tunisian crochet. My mom, Polish, but born here, did beautiful work, cross stitching designs on the panels of tunisian. 

We just watched some of the women's diving - amazing what they can do!

How is everyone doing?  I've only been catching snippets of the Games here and there, have finally caught a bit of the gymnastics.

I stopped working on my interlock hot pad after a few inches and put it down for a while; I didn't like the way the beginning row looked on both sides, was just the 'windows' not the zig zag pattern.  Looking at the projects on Ravelry, many complained of the same thing and one suggested a fix - make the wider color's base row of windows per pattern, then work the chain only of the second (shorter row) color, weave the tail of the chain thru the other color's windows, and start the second color's first windows from there, working alternately front and back into the chain thru the first color's windows.  Sounds complicated, but it's really just skipping ahead a couple of rows and working thru windows into chains instead of stitch tops.  Looks much better!

I'm still watching the games and crocheting away! 

Did anyone see that photo finish of Shaunae Miller, Bahamas, diving to win the women's 400m track gold?  It was a WOW!  I was flipping channels and stopped to watch the race.  At first I thought she had fallen, but when they showed the photo, it was obvious that she had dived for the gold.  Big congrats to her!

Usain Bolt did not disappoint!  He's so fast that he had time to turn and smile for the cameras before finishing the 100m in under 10 seconds!  I root for my home country, but can appreciate the truly great from other countries.  :)

On the crochet side of things, I'm on row 190 out of 271.  My row counter only goes to 100, so I'm going to be excited to flip it for the last time when I reach 200 today.  The throw is made up of a large border, six lines of text and another large border.  When I hit 200, the text will be done.  I'm starting to see that there is an end to this project.  It's getting really heavy, though.  When it's done, it'll be 4 pounds of yarn.  My next project is in light cotton.  LOL

GS: That sounds really complicated!  You've got such a vast knowledge of the yarn crafts, that I imagine you're loving learning something new to you.  To me half the fun of of crocheting is learning something new with each project. 

I'm still watching the games and crocheting away! 

Did anyone see that photo finish of Shaunae Miller, Bahamas, diving to win the women's 400m track gold?  It was a WOW!  I was flipping channels and stopped to watch the race.  At first I thought she had fallen, but when they showed the photo, it was obvious that she had dived for the gold.  Big congrats to her!

Usain Bolt did not disappoint!  He's so fast that he had time to turn and smile for the cameras before finishing the 100m in under 10 seconds!  I root for my home country, but can appreciate the truly great from other countries.  :)

On the crochet side of things, I'm on row 190 out of 271.  My row counter only goes to 100, so I'm going to be excited to flip it for the last time when I reach 200 today.  The throw is made up of a large border, six lines of text and another large border.  When I hit 200, the text will be done.  I'm starting to see that there is an end to this project.  It's getting really heavy, though.  When it's done, it'll be 4 pounds of yarn.  My next project is in light cotton.  LOL

GS: That sounds really complicated!  You've got such a vast knowledge of the yarn crafts, that I imagine you're loving learning something new to you.  To me half the fun of of crocheting is learning something new with each project. 

Your project sounds like mine!! It's a bear to flip over to go in the other direction...lol! I'm about 120/150 - but have  a border to do, too....

Glad everyone's moving along, I'm guessing I'm about 2/3 done with the new version; no specific row count, one color is a partial ball and I'm just going to go until that runs out, which I'm hoping will make it close to square.  No where near as far as y'all making blankets! 4 pounds, yikes.

Sorry I gave so much pattern information, I just did that in case someone else wanted to try it (it's fun, do!).  Once you get the 'front and back of the windows' variation down, it's just DC, Ch 1.  It's the setup that's...a bit complicated.  You're right, it is fun to learn new things; lately I've been doing that more with knitting than crochet.

Fighting a tangle as I'm trying to ball my skein. Watching replay of doubles synchronized swimming free routine preliminary.

Sadly I may have to make another cut. Already created one because I couldn't get the knot out.

Archived