Crochet Games of Ancient Greece CAL

Amy

Arghh!  I hate knots in yarn.  It's bad enough when a manufacturer sells a skein with knots or tied ends, buts it's just aggravating when I create a knot that I can't get out.  Sometimes if you can stick a pin or a needle in the middle of it, it gives enough leverage to get it undone.  I haven't had an major knots since I started using mesh laundry bags to hold yarn and weave the center pull through one of the mesh holes.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've found untangling a little easier after I read that tangles from the skein, like yarn barf, won't have real knots in them, so you shouldn't have to pull ends though a loop to undo them (in fact, that creates real knots).  Sometimes it's hard to resist, but so far I've found it to be true.  Also, perversely, it seems more often that gently pulling from the direction I'd prefer not to pull from, works better.  :think  

I'm not sure if 'no knots' applies if tangles have had more help, like from a toddler or cat.

What I really hate is tied knots (joins by the manufacturer) that I never notice until they're running thru my fingers...gaaa!

Got the hot pad done last nite.  I can't say I'm happy with the gaps all around (window edges), but the pattern had you make the border around both end colors, which I thought looked even worse.  Let's just say the gaps are a design feature... ;)

post-13625-0-11638500-1471446780_thumb.jpg

Got the hot pad done last nite. I can't say I'm happy with the gaps all around (window edges), but the pattern had you make the border around both end colors, which I thought looked even worse. Let's just say the gaps are a design feature... ;)

For me it looks nice, I don't mind the gaps :)

I made 4 covers for jar candle holders. One day I bought yoghurt in a glass jar and found the jar perfect to use as candle holder :)

post-30828-0-60419400-1471454407_thumb.jpgpost-30828-0-70974500-1471454436_thumb.jpg

Now off to watch volleyball. USA vsPoland. Someone will be happy - you or me :)))) For now I can see the match is exciting - they fight equally, point for point.

Thanks!  

Those are beautiful, those jars are a perfect size for the candles.  I wonder why we don't use more glass containers here, glass = silica (sand), the most common mineral I believe, and must be cheaper to process, better for the environment.  And useful for other things!

Got the hot pad done last nite.  I can't say I'm happy with the gaps all around (window edges), but the pattern had you make the border around both end colors, which I thought looked even worse.  Let's just say the gaps are a design feature... ;)

Some of the things I've made over the years have a lot of "design features" :lol   Seriously, though, I think it looks perfect! I have some hot pads made for me by crochet friends and love using them. So much better than the awful store bought ones!

For me it looks nice, I don't mind the gaps :)

I made 4 covers for jar candle holders. One day I bought yoghurt in a glass jar and found the jar perfect to use as candle holder :)

attachicon.gif20160816_115954-1.jpgattachicon.gif20160816_115918-1.jpg

Now off to watch volleyball. USA vsPoland. Someone will be happy - you or me :)))) For now I can see the match is exciting - they fight equally, point for point.

Adorable!!  Did you just make up the patterns?

It's great.

Saw some gymnastics and track.    

I finished the hat. it's a little bigger than I wanted but still resembles a hat somewhat.

post-10430-0-34244100-1471535823_thumb.jpg

Saw some gymnastics and track.    

I finished the hat. it's a little bigger than I wanted but still resembles a hat somewhat.

cute! There are many women with larger than average heads that it would fit, even if it is bigger than the pattern called for ;)

Hello everybody!

Today I finished the basket I showed you some time ago. It was a challenge - crocheting with so thick "yarn", then sewing the lining and finally putting it all together. 

It was the first time I tried this kind of yarn and I can say it's not my favourite… I like the final effect but it was quite hard to crochet. You have to be strong  :lol

I called my basket "The illusion"  :D  Because in the pic you don't see all the mistakes I made (mostly while sewing) and that's illusion - the basket looks quite nice  :rolleyes It has handles so it's easy to carry and you can close it by pulling the string. So yarn won't fall out. Did I mention the basket is for my crochet project? No? Well isn't it obvious?  :U

post-30828-0-87577500-1471613933_thumb.jpgpost-30828-0-07667800-1471613949_thumb.jpg

Wow!  What wonderful "eye" candy!!  i love all the wonderful items everyone is working on- from the blanket, baskets, doll clothes, etc.......all so wonderful.

Sorry I haven't been too active lately but I am always crocheting and have been following the Olympics.

I have been working on a little troll doll and still need to decide if it will be a he or she.  I also am not sure if I will needlefelt wool into the wig or loop yarn through the wig and I still need to color the troll up a bit and give it a wardrobe.

post-3193-0-22841300-1471616047_thumb.jpg

Thanks all!

Crochetfan, that troll doll is adorable!  I had one when I was a kid, er, many decades ago.  I sewed clothes for it (basically, rectangles with arm holes) and put ribbons in it's hair.

Sarisue, I like the hat, it would be nice for milder weather.  I have a sort of similar loose-ish one that I use when I get a hair cut, I don't have it styled there afterwards so I hide under the hat while running the rest of my errands for the day.

Apak, all your 'exercise' with that yarn paid off, that is a really nice basket and the lining really finishes it off beautifully.

Only a couple of more days until the closing ceremonies...

Granny Square wrote<<<<<<<<<<<<    Sarisue, I like the hat, it would be nice for milder weather.  I have a sort of similar loose-ish one that I use when I get a hair cut, I don't have it styled there afterwards so I hide under the hat while running the rest of my errands for the day<<<<<<<

Thanks, My daughter liked it so we put a crochet chain around it to fit better.

Ditto what GS said about all of the wonderful projects in here!

Sarisue:  My personal preference would be the same color.  I like color to blend to together when the emphasis is on the stitch work and different colors when the emphasis is on the color work.  IN my opinion, when they get mixed, something is lost.

I haven't been watching much of the Olympics this week.  Lochte and his co-horts have dominated the Olympic news.  I'm both disgusted by their behavior and sick of hearing about it.  I understand the need to celebrate.  I even understand that some can go overboard and get too drunk and do stupid stuff.  What I don't get is the behavior after being sober again.  The saddest part is that it's thrown such a negative light on the athletes that haven't done anything wrong.  Booing the remaining athletes is not right, either.  So, I've decided that I don't want to watch that much negativity.  I feel much better letting out my mini-rant!

Onto my project ... I was supposed to hit row 200 on Tuesday night.  This has been a rough week and I barely got any crocheting done.  I'm making up for it today.  I hit row 200 this morning and am now going on row 207!  That puts me past the 3/4 mark.  Yippee!!

Hello everybody!

Today I finished the basket I showed you some time ago. It was a challenge - crocheting with so thick "yarn", then sewing the lining and finally putting it all together. 

It was the first time I tried this kind of yarn and I can say it's not my favourite… I like the final effect but it was quite hard to crochet. You have to be strong  :lol

I called my basket "The illusion"  :D  Because in the pic you don't see all the mistakes I made (mostly while sewing) and that's illusion - the basket looks quite nice  :rolleyes It has handles so it's easy to carry and you can close it by pulling the string. So yarn won't fall out. Did I mention the basket is for my crochet project? No? Well isn't it obvious?  :U

attachicon.gifkoszyk spaghetti.jpgattachicon.gifkoszyk spaghetti 2.jpg

That's gorgeous! I love the shades of blue - I really get it when you mention working the yarn. I've made ghans with P hooks. Don't do that any more - my hands kill me afterward.

Wow!  What wonderful "eye" candy!!  i love all the wonderful items everyone is working on- from the blanket, baskets, doll clothes, etc.......all so wonderful.

Sorry I haven't been too active lately but I am always crocheting and have been following the Olympics.

I have been working on a little troll doll and still need to decide if it will be a he or she.  I also am not sure if I will needlefelt wool into the wig or loop yarn through the wig and I still need to color the troll up a bit and give it a wardrobe.

Love the troll doll!! Such precise work!

Needs a shell border, She suggested a different color. Any suggestions same or different. 

For some thread work I would use a deep shade for contrast - but this looks like a pillow front - I think?- and if it is, I would keep it the same color too, as mentioned earlier. Very pretty, BTW!

:cheer Yay Redroses, rounding the last curve, the finish line is in sight!

Sarisue, I'm a bad one for being clever with color, I usually make boring white doilies.  I wonder though, if there is a border that incorporates those petals...(off to go look).

Not shells, but might go with that pattern...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/borders-around-embroidery-hoop

Shells, but petal-like

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nanas-quad-cluster-border-vers-2

Just the shell and petal part of #4;; would be interesting if you could make each shell fit over a motif...it occurs to me, since your motif is small, if it would look odd if the edging didn't line up with a motif.  Hmmm...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/flower-borders-12345

Kind of like petals...is charted.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/amicomo-edging-3

Ah, the Olympics are over, I'm glad most of the scary 'eek, Rio's not ready' stuff didn't happen.  

Did anyone watch the closing ceremony?  Too bad they had such a downpour, but I'm sure it was warm enough that it didn't seem to put a damper on things.   :rolleyes

Very cool tribute to Brazil's lace industry, I loved that giant animated doily  :manyheart

I didn't see much of the closing ceremony, but I did see the lace tribute. Very beautiful! I kept looking at the animated doily and thinking that would be cool to do in crochet (not the animated part LOL!)

I'm getting closer to the end! Row 228 out of 271!!

:woo  Only 15% to go, if I did my math right.

I had to look up the Brazilian lace, it looks like it's not crocheted but bobbin (?) lace.  Beautiful, and I love those little lacemaking dolls!  That looks too complicated for me tho.

https://worldsailaway.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/lace-making-and-a-tour-of-fortaleza-brazil/

The end of the games snuck up on me!

My eagle graph is in the home stretch - working on the border now,

I loved seeing the projects shared here.

Thank you everyone!

Archived