Help Create a Crocheting String Doll

I haven't been on here in a long time. However, I thought I needed some advice from some fellow crocheters.

I came across some cute dolls, called String Dolls. There are so many to choose from! Here is the website

http://www.kamibashi.com/products/dolls/stringdolls/

I was looking for a doll or trinket that had to do with crocheting, and somehow I came across this website. To my dismay, there was not a crochet String Doll, but there was a KNIT String Doll! And she was really cute, too:

post-33151-0-67174700-1467914560_thumb.jpg

I was really bummed that there was a knitting String Doll but not a crocheting String Doll. Us crocheters are always getting the short end of the stick.

So I emailed them.

Believe it or not, she contacted me right away, and told me she would start the process of making a crocheting String Doll!  So happy! 

And not only that, but she is going to let me help her with the details, such as a name, clothing, hair type, that kind of thing.

Ideas???

We need a name:

I said something about calling her a Hooker, and she didn't seem to like it. :think 

Lupe or Lupita (as in loopy?)

Shay? (as in cro-SHAY)

I need help, here, people!

She needs to have a Power:

If you look at the website, each doll has a power. For example, there is a cop whose power is "to make sure you never have to call for backup",  and then there is a punk-rocker with a Mohawk, who "protects you against people who have bad taste in music."

post-33151-0-63061100-1467914953_thumb.jpgpost-33151-0-40758300-1467914973_thumb.jpg

There are some really cute ones.  Check out some of these dolls, see what their powers are, and help me give her some ideas on what our crocheting String Doll's power can be!  I did get a few ideas from an old topic here:

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/131435-fun-crochet-phrases/

Here are a few from this string that I jotted down:

*Keep away knotty habits

*Keep people from pulling the wool over your eyes

*Keep you from getting “hooked” (as in addicted?  Idk!)

*Working on your PHd..Projects half done

*Reminds you to Keep Calm and Carry Yarn (carry on)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

those are cute/funny!  

I'm not a fan of the word "hooker" in relation to crocheters, so i can understand why maybe she didn't like it.  But for the super power, I'd suggest "gets you hooked on yarn".  

Names for the doll, maybe Granny Square.  Or Lacey.  

I can't think of anything else right now.  

This is so cool!  

Although I am partial to the name Granny Square (ahem), I'd hate to perpetrate the 'old ladies' stigma of crochet, especially since the knitting doll is kind of funky hip.  I'm still thinking, haven't come up with anything other clever suggestions so far (I do like Lacy and #1's power ideas)

I personally love the name hooker! Makes me laugh! !! This is awesome, but i will leave the name and charm to you ladies!

Although Granny Square is really cute, I also wanted to stay away from the "Old Lady" stigmatism that crocheting has. As a matter of fact, when the woman that makes these dolls asked me how the doll should look, I specifically asked her to NOT make the doll look like a granny. I told her everyone thinks that people that crochet are all boring, fuddy-duddies (where in the heck did I come up with that word? It just popped into my head! I swear I have never used the word "fuddy-duddy" in my entire life!).  I want her to look young and hip!

I've added some of these ideas to my list. I have 2 lists of powers- 1 list is the catchy crochet pun-like powers, and the other list is powers that don't really have anything to do with crochet.

Thank you everyone, for helping.....but please, keep the ideas coming!

I am supposed to get back with her on August 1. I want to have some really good ideas for her.

Here is what I have so far

(keep in mind, she doesn't crochet, so I have to explain some of the terms to her!)

POWERS

Catchy/Pun-ish

• Keep away knotty habits
  • Keep people from pulling the wool over your eyes
  • Keep you from getting “hooked” (as in addicted? )
  • Working on your PHd..Projects half done
  • Reminds you to Keep Calm and Carry Yarn (carry on)
  • Keeps your life free of knots
  • Creates magic with her hook; spreads joy with everything she makes
  • Helps you weave (or sew?) in the loose ends
  • Keeps you from unraveling
  • If the name is Froggy—she keeps you from unraveling

(“Frogging” is when you have to unravel what you have just crocheted, usually because of a mistake!)

Non Pun-ish

• Keeps you from caring about what other people think about you (might could be worded differently)
  • Reminds you that it is okay to say “No”

NAMES

• Lupita or Lupe (spelled Loopita or Loopy)
  • Shay (as in cro-SHAY)
  • Cro Shade
  • Shell or Shelly (because a “shell” is a common crochet stitch)
  • Crystal (just because it’s my best friend’s name!)
  • Madeline Tosh or Madelinetosh or Maddy Tosh or just Maddy/Madeline  (Madelinetosh is a very popular and well-loved yarn brand)
  • Lacey
  • Froggy

I always refer to my crochet hook as my magic wand. And honestly, no matter where I am, the pets are always drawn to it. They (both cats and dogs) always want a neck or back scratch with the magic wand before they will let me settle down with my project!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great ideas!

She just emailed me, and the doll is in the works! She really liked the name "Shay", so that is probably what she's going to go with. Can't wait to see this doll!

• 2 months later...

I received an email from Kristen, the girl that makes the String Dolls, and she's almost finished. I thought I'd share these pics with y'all, I thought they were cute. If you look closely, you'll notice that the doll is crocheting with 2 hooks! Don't worry, I made sure that she knows that knitting is with 2 needles and crochet is with one hook. So on the finished doll, it will be correct. She's got a little tweaking to do and she will be done. I forgot to ask her what name she decided on though.

post-33151-0-84454600-1475590380_thumb.jpgpost-33151-0-91324400-1475590406_thumb.jpg

Crocheting with two hooks???  What an idea!!!!!   Think of what we could get done!!!!  Gotta figure out what (or who) is going to hold the yarn, though....Hm-m-m-m....

Ok, fellow crocheters, I need some opinions. Kristen, the woman who is making theString Doll, is trying to decide which "Power" to use. She asked me to get some
opinions. Here are the ones she likes:

*Keeps away knotty habits
*Keeps your life free of knots
*Keeps anyone from pulling the wool over your eyes
*Reminds you to Keep Calm and Carry Yarn (carry on)

So please reply and let me know which one y'all like the best!

Oh, and she thinks she's going to call the doll "Shay"
Thanks!

Archived