Why all the pressure? Lol

I've only been crocheting for just over a week now but wow family sure can put on the pressure. What are you making? Can you make me this and that? When are you making a blanket? And so on. I'm just learning and happy with what I'm doing. I've made 3 dishcloths and I'm overly happy about it. I don't want to make blankets. No desire. I have a short attention span and get bored easily, I know this about myself, so dishcloths are the perfect size, I can use them, and they scrub the dishes better than any store bought ones I have. I don't think they are meaning to pressure but they are lol Have any of you run into this? I want this relaxing hobby to stay relaxing lol

Friends and family can certainly feel demanding. You have to learn to smile and decline or ignore the hints unless it's something you want to do. If the hobby isn't relaxing and enjoyable, you've lost focus of the aim of doing it.

I haven't received many orders at all. Here and there one, always without any pressure. I have, to my great surprise, just earned another order from my coach though. I think that's my 3rd overall.

I usually just take all the time I need to make it, I don't hurry myself, or otherwise it won't be fun anymore! I wouldn't know what to do if my family and friends were asking me to make them a lot though...

I can't speak for your family, but in ours this sounds like a conversation starter.  Often times people don't understand enough to have a conversation about the new interest, but they want to be "supportive."  This is how my family thinks they are being supportive.   Most of the time the requests aren't that serious and they forget about them once they leave.  It really isn't much more than the other general stuff they say and forget.  I can't speak for your family, but this has been my experience.  Most of the time they are surprised if I do make what they asked for because they've long since forgotten they asked.

I've only been crocheting for just over a week now but wow family sure can put on the pressure. What are you making? Can you make me this and that? When are you making a blanket? And so on. I'm just learning and happy with what I'm doing. I've made 3 dishcloths and I'm overly happy about it. I don't want to make blankets. No desire. I have a short attention span and get bored easily, I know this about myself, so dishcloths are the perfect size, I can use them, and they scrub the dishes better than any store bought ones I have. I don't think they are meaning to pressure but they are lol Have any of you run into this? I want this relaxing hobby to stay relaxing lol

Oh yes! Once my sister got through making fun of my old lady hobby, and warning me not to make toilet paper covers, she quickly discovered etsy and pinterest and sends me links of things she and my nieces and nephew want.

Glad she changed her tune lol Funny how this hobby has a stigma with age.

Friends and family can certainly feel demanding. You have to learn to smile and decline or ignore the hints unless it's something you want to do. If the hobby isn't relaxing and enjoyable, you've lost focus of the aim of doing it.

Yeah not going to let them effect my focus and fun, not worth it ????????????

I haven't received many orders at all. Here and there one, always without any pressure. I have, to my great surprise, just earned another order from my coach though. I think that's my 3rd overall.

I usually just take all the time I need to make it, I don't hurry myself, or otherwise it won't be fun anymore! I wouldn't know what to do if my family and friends were asking me to make them a lot though...

It's a pain lol Yay for another order!!

I can't speak for your family, but in ours this sounds like a conversation starter. Often times people don't understand enough to have a conversation about the new interest, but they want to be "supportive." This is how my family thinks they are being supportive. Most of the time the requests aren't that serious and they forget about them once they leave. It really isn't much more than the other general stuff they say and forget. I can't speak for your family, but this has been my experience. Most of the time they are surprised if I do make what they asked for because they've long since forgotten they asked.

I'm hoping as time passes they will forget lol and ease up lol

Just ask them to buy the yarn.  Tell them how many skeins the project will take and the average full price for skeins.  I've had the reaction of them just shutting up and of them going to the yarn store with me.  Then they get to the register and say, "WOW!"  Either way, it stops the requests, except for my mother (arghhh).

To me asking someone to make you something without offering to pay for materials (and time) is akin to asking someone to buy you a present.  Would you ever go up to someone in your family and ask them to buy you something for no reason?  It's different if you ask them what they would like.  So, next time your family asks you to make something, just say sure, right after you buy me xxxx that I found at xxxxx website (or store.)

Just ask them to buy the yarn. Tell them how many skeins the project will take and the average full price for skeins. I've had the reaction of them just shutting up and of them going to the yarn store with me. Then they get to the register and say, "WOW!" Either way, it stops the requests, except for my mother (arghhh).

To me asking someone to make you something without offering to pay for materials (and time) is akin to asking someone to buy you a present. Would you ever go up to someone in your family and ask them to buy you something for no reason? It's different if you ask them what they would like. So, next time your family asks you to make something, just say sure, right after you buy me xxxx that I found at xxxxx website (or store.)

That is a good idea too. I guess they suspect that in a week I can go from learning to chain to making everything they see online lol I know a few stitches but still I'm just starting. Had to redo a chain over 10 times last night because I stitch tight. Will be sometime before I'm ready to give of stuff I've made lol

Take Your time! Crochet is a hobby, and it's supposed to be more fun than anything else. So do whatever you want to do, and if other people tell you otherwise, indeed, ask them to pay for it, or try to let them know you won't be doing it. I haven't run into problems for saying no myself.

Just remember to have fun!

Take Your time! Crochet is a hobby, and it's supposed to be more fun than anything else. So do whatever you want to do, and if other people tell you otherwise, indeed, ask them to pay for it, or try to let them know you won't be doing it. I haven't run into problems for saying no myself.

Just remember to have fun!

Maybe down the road, way down the road I'll want to. As of now I want to make this wicked cute pig dishcloth for my daughter but have to learn to crochet in the round first. Thankfully that's the next part to a class on Craftys I'm taking. But I'm not telling her I'm making it just incase it goes horribly wrong lol

Loved Tampa Doll's solution  :yes !  I no longer take requests for anything.  My crochet projects are picked to make "me" happy.  I give most of what I make to charity organizations to sell or use.  I used to keep a box of scarves, hats, gloves/mitts and small household items always at the ready to give away to guests (family, friends, neighbors) that stop by.  But people can be less than appreciative and often downright rude.  So now I crochet because I like a pattern, want to try out a new stitch, found a cool new yarn or just need a bit of emotional therapy.  

Loved Tampa Doll's solution  :yes !  I no longer take requests for anything.  My crochet projects are picked to make "me" happy.  I give most of what I make to charity organizations to sell or use.  I used to keep a box of scarves, hats, gloves/mitts and small household items always at the ready to give away to guests (family, friends, neighbors) that stop by.  But people can be less than appreciative and often downright rude.  So now I crochet because I like a pattern, want to try out a new stitch, found a cool new yarn or just need a bit of emotional therapy.

Those are the reasons I do it! Sitting down after work, after the twins are in bed and crocheting really helps me emotionally relax. Looking through patterns, watching tutorials, reading blogs is just fun!!! And all the pretty yarn.....all the yarn!! I just have to keep that all in mind when feeling pressured. It's for me. I'm going to be selfish lol

I fixed the asking once and for all.  I told family and friends.  You get one request for something, so make it good.  That was 25 years ago.  They are still thinking. :rofl 

Tampa Doll--you are just too funny!! :rofl 

It's amazing the people who will say they want something YOU will crochet for them. They won't buy the yarn or pay you for the yarn. They won't pay you for your time. Half of them won't even thank you. Right after they receive the item, 3 of their friends will all want the same item (in different colors) and they'll need it right away besides. These will be free too. And so on. We've all been through this.

Well, a few years ago I was long term ill and couldn't crochet. I missed it so much. Once I was able to crochet again, I decided on these rules for myself:

1 - I would never again work with a yarn I don't like.

2 - I would never again make a pattern I don't like.

3 - I would never again make anything for someone I don't like.

I have done this and have had happy crochet ever since. I enjoy what I make.

Actually, since then, I've gradually developed another 4th rule I should add:

4 - I refuse to be hemmed in by a time constraint.

It's amazing the people who will say they want something YOU will crochet for them. They won't buy the yarn or pay you for the yarn. They won't pay you for your time. Half of them won't even thank you. Right after they receive the item, 3 of their friends will all want the same item (in different colors) and they'll need it right away besides. These will be free too. And so on. We've all been through this.

Well, a few years ago I was long term ill and couldn't crochet. I missed it so much. Once I was able to crochet again, I decided on these rules for myself:

Those are great rules! Glad you are able to be back doing something you love!

Very good rules, indeed! I've had a bad shoulder that didn't allow me to crochet for several months. Oh, it was absolute hell. I was restless, ten times more stressed and oh so bored! All the books in the world couldn't satisfy me then, I just wanted to make something!

Before my bad shoulder I only crocheted things I had a purpose for, things that I could immediately give away, or very rarely, sell. It was annoying, because many times I couldn't crochet those patterns I was so much in love with, and that hurt.

After I got better (never 100%, I'll always have to be careful), I decided I'll only make what makes ME happy. I'll agree to orders or requests only if I feel like it, and ALWAYS on my own time. And now I'm making tons of amigurumi that I'll never have a purpose for, but I couldn't be happier, because at least it's doing what I love! So much better, and the only good thing that came out of that bad time. Oh, and I am so done with the gazillion bears! Now I'll only crochet a bear if I feel like it! (Bears I can always get rid of because there's a charity that only wants crochet or knit bears and granny squares)

Those are GREAT rules. 

Very good rules, indeed! I've had a bad shoulder that didn't allow me to crochet for several months. Oh, it was absolute hell. I was restless, ten times more stressed and oh so bored! All the books in the world couldn't satisfy me then, I just wanted to make something!

Before my bad shoulder I only crocheted things I had a purpose for, things that I could immediately give away, or very rarely, sell. It was annoying, because many times I couldn't crochet those patterns I was so much in love with, and that hurt.

After I got better (never 100%, I'll always have to be careful), I decided I'll only make what makes ME happy. I'll agree to orders or requests only if I feel like it, and ALWAYS on my own time. And now I'm making tons of amigurumi that I'll never have a purpose for, but I couldn't be happier, because at least it's doing what I love! So much better, and the only good thing that came out of that bad time. Oh, and I am so done with the gazillion bears! Now I'll only crochet a bear if I feel like it! (Bears I can always get rid of because there's a charity that only wants crochet or knit bears and granny squares)

I like how you think. I was looking at a pattern and my husband asked what I would use it for. I told him probably nothing but I liked it and made me happy to look at it. I think that is a good enough reason to make something. Right now making dishcloths. Great way to practice new stitches, and to me they are all knew, and learning to keep those edges straight and working on the whole tension thing. Tension is my biggest struggle and that's ok. It's all new and and I'm not someone who picks up something and is good at it the first time or the tenth. Practice, practice, practice. And I'm not giving something to someone that has mistakes and boy I have a lot of mistakes right now lol

Love these rules but especially live by Rule #4

Archived