Temperature Blanket CAL

darski

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

going along quite nicely  and the weather has been kind enough to vary so I'm getting some interest so far :rofl

post-4896-0-56505400-1452020733_thumb.jpg

it is only 34.5 in across but I plan to do a border when it is done.... (yeah, sure, right :eek )

Our temperatures have been almost identical the past 3 days. I decided that I was going to start working a day behind, so I'll do yesterday's section today. We should be up into the 40s by the end of the week, though, so it will be a good change!

Our temperatures have been almost identical the past 3 days. I decided that I was going to start working a day behind, so I'll do yesterday's section today. We should be up into the 40s by the end of the week, though, so it will be a good change!

That could be a good idea to go a day behind. 

I've decided to go to the EC site every week and record their guesses.  if I miss a day I will just use that number. 

Interestingly, we were at 12^ yesterday and are supposed to get near 40^ by Friday :eek

Just coincidentally, does anyone know a keyboard symbol for degree?

I saw a post on FB that convinced me that I need a better chart than just my scribbles on a scrap of paper.

here is my handy- dandy super - duper chart all typed and wonderful :rofl

Seriously, it is nice to have it this way : post-4896-0-83812000-1452109364_thumb.jpg

now I need to find some place to post this... uh huh :think

Nice. I have mine typed and taped to a page in my small notebook. I might add a sample of each color. Thinking I might do a scarf instead of an afghan to save on some yarn throughout the year. Still undecided, I'm afraid whatever it is it will get out of hand with 366 rows.

Nice. I have mine typed and taped to a page in my small notebook. I might add a sample of each color. Thinking I might do a scarf instead of an afghan to save on some yarn throughout the year. Still undecided, I'm afraid whatever it is it will get out of hand with 366 rows.

I can't decide if that many rows is even practical for an afghan. It would be a veeerrry long scarf!

degree is alt 0176, but it doesn't work on my netbook. Evidently it requires a keyboard with the numeric pad on the side, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Thank you, Darski, for asking this question, and Greyhoundgrandma for answering it!!!  I've wondered how to get ° for AGES!!!  :ty  :clap  :yay 

I can't decide if that many rows is even practical for an afghan. It would be a veeerrry long scarf!

I had that same thought, Mona!  Maybe--if the temp stays in the same range for several days, we could just make one row of that color.  ???

I have been thinking that I will make 2 lapghans instead of just one.  183 rows - some of them using sc or hdc sounds better to me than 366. My current 6 rows make 4 inches.  I did a bit of extrapolating and based on 6 rows = 4" and 183 rows to do my blankie would be 122 inches or more than 10 feet.  However, 366 is perfectly divisible by 3 and would get  122 rows and works down to 80 inches or 6.6 feet.  but does that negate the whole purpose of doing this for a year :? 

decision, decisions, decisions.

It is a challenge to be sure.

according to my very rough figuring it would be about 20 feet long.  I'm beginning to see why people only do a 6 mo version. :eek

I've been checking in on yall's progress and I thought maybe you'd like to see mine. I figure 2 rows a day for 6 months is basically equal to 1 row a day for a year and this way you can get an idea. =) Apparently I can't post pics from my tablet, but if you're interested I can post from my laptop later this week.

Okay, I have finally committed. Afghan it will be and I have finished the first 3 rows. I could have done more but cannot find the next color I need. It must be in the other room and I don't want to wake hubby by going and rummaging for it tonight. It shouldn't take long to catch up.

Okay, I have finally committed. Afghan it will be and I have finished the first 3 rows. I could have done more but cannot find the next color I need. It must be in the other room and I don't want to wake hubby by going and rummaging for it tonight. It shouldn't take long to catch up.

I agree, because it is only one row at a time it is easy to catch up.

I am doing sampler afghans and I think I will make 3 of them rather than do 366 rows in one go.

My guess is that mine will be about 80"  but that is a rough guess.

I think I'm going to try this. My idea a couple of year's ago when the first GD was born was to do a scarf to give her maybe when she turned 18--the temperatures from her first year. But I discarded that idea when I realized how long it would be. But I think an afghan is doable. I looked at #3 yarn, but haven't found a satisfactory variety of colors, so I'm back to worsted weight for an afghan. I'm looking at the woven stitch--hopefully the smallest height choice.

Opinion? How would it look to fasten off on each row leaving the ends to be fringe. I don't think the woven stitch will be the most secure choice to weave ends in to.

Hi ladies! I have been thinking about this since it was first posted and just could not come up with a color scheme. Also I decided I did not want to "watch" and keep track of the temps everyday. Soooooo....I decided to go with precipitation/no precipitation. 

My colors will be yellow and white. When it rains or snows I'll do white. When there is no precipitation I'll do yellow. With Colorado weather the blanket will be mostly yellow with streaks of white.  I plan to chain the base row as wide as an adult afghan and keep doing it until it is full length; plan to use hdc stitch; and then a border. One other twist to keep it interesting is that I'll do  X number of stitches per day. (Haven't decided how many yet). That way some rows will be all yellow, some all white, and some a mixture.

I'm Pumped to get started now that I have a game plan!!!!

Okay.. I have been going back and forth every day should I or shouldn't I do this? I have so much going on already and now gotten so far behind, but I catch myself writing down the temp each day "just in case"... LOL!! Have no ideas of the colors...

May just drag some out of the stash (may not be pretty) and just do 1 row a day of something simple so I can just unwind and not count or think too much...

hmmmm.....

Archived