Encouragement for Making Gifts, 2016 version ;)

judianne

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, I am in to. I finished a lot of stuff but not everything. I guess I need to realize I only have two hands. I'm the only one making things so it does make it difficult plus this year was let's say very challenging and nothing went right.

I'm on my fourth mermaid tail. Need to make one more hopefully. Will see. It's crunch time.

absolutely in for 2017!   I really really need to stick to my handmade/ no  buying motto.... didn't work so well this year, I mean it all seemed so good in June, and then I found something I bought for this one, then had to buy for that one... then goodness the babies needed one of everything,  so then because I bought so much for this and that one, you know I got kohls cash or Old Navy dollars... and I just couldn't let it go to waste...and so I bought a little something for this one... that meant I had to buy for that one..Finally I realized I had 7.00 left on my via I use for extras and gifts... and yarn.... and well.... yeah, might take a few months to pay that off again...

SO SHAME ON ME..... next year no keeping up with the other MeMes... and goodness know all the boys make a bunch more money then Chris and I do... but well.... what can I say...its done..

I can only hope to do better in 2017  You folks will just have to hold my feet to the fire

Waiting for the puffy paint to dry on the soles of the slipper socks for my nephew. Then they get wrapped and put in the box of stuff to ship to my sisters.

We are all going to her house after christmas first time in 10 years we will all be together

LOL! Not sure about holding anyone's feet to the fire, but I did just think of something:

What if (especially for those with a lot of people to make for) we make two lists:

One list is what we want to make for people - which can include big projects - while a secondary list will be projects that are smaller in scale and manageable - like bookmarks, hats/scarves, smaller lapghans, tote/market bags, baskets for magazines/beauty products.

Thoughts?

Look at my list posted in January... it has very little to do with my final list of completed gifts.

I have ideas for next year but who knows what will actually end up under the tree!

Lists? We dont need no stinkin' lists!

I think I will just make a list of people not projects and make things as I get inspiration (or requests)

Look at my list posted in January... it has very little to do with my final list of completed gifts.

I have ideas for next year but who knows what will actually end up under the tree!

Lists? We dont need no stinkin' lists!

I think I will just make a list of people not projects and make things as I get inspiration (or requests)

That last thing you said is perfect! I work on inspiration 99% of the time!

And If anyone needs to brainstorm or wants help looking for links to free (or paid) patterns following the CV guidelines, don't hesitate to ask,

That sounds like a good idea.  List of people not gifts.  I need the list for all year, as the charities are all year.

I found these on my door step, so I have part of next years gifts taken care of.

post-105-0-90262100-1480781661_thumb.jpgpost-105-0-13397100-1480781670_thumb.jpg

Never say "done"!

I decided to add another gift. My sons friend is coming for a visit this week. I made an ear warmer headband last night and will add a cuff embellishment to a plain pair of gloves i picked up at Joanns.

This is her first winter not in Florida, Pennsylvania is going to be a shock!

I do not think I could handle a PA winter anymore.  Make sure she has plenty of hot tea.

If it was not for stupid stuff happening, I could laugh.  I brought all my pieces to my tree over to the table, that my coffee was on.  When I went to sit down, I found 3 strings sticking out of my coffee cup.  I pulled up the strings and there were 3 pieces of my tree.  Big sigh here, I pulled them out, hand washed them and threw them into the dryer.  No quite dry, but I sewed them together anyway, and you all know how much I hate to sew.

Well off to finish putting the tree together.

Hugs to all. :hug  :ghug  :hug 

List from Christmas 2016 completed

2 shark blankets

1 mermaid blanket

1 sea shell blanket

2 dresser scarves

1 make up scrubbies set

1 trinket tray w/ filet initial liner

1 gloves and ear warmer set

1 pink lion

1 pair slipper socks

1 coin purse

Whew! And thats just the Christmas gifts!

Couldnt have done it without you ladies, see you in 2017!

LOL, I don't even have one item completed!! They are all still being worked on. Mom's blanket is complete other than weaving in ends, but still have to do that so not 100% complete!!

I'm in for next year. I intended to get baskets made for Christmas gifts, but gave some of them for birthdays during the year. Ended up buying a number of gifts instead. At least I got stuff from the St Jude's hospital gift shop so I feel a little better about it.

I've got to get more organized next year. I just have not accomplished much the second half of this year. How can you be so busy and get nothing done!?!

I'm in for next year. I intended to get baskets made for Christmas gifts, but gave some of them for birthdays during the year. Ended up buying a number of gifts instead. At least I got stuff from the St Jude's hospital gift shop so I feel a little better about it.

I've got to get more organized next year. I just have not accomplished much the second half of this year. How can you be so busy and get nothing done!?!

Your preaching to the choir!!!  I'm like you, full of good intentions..... have problem witht he follow through :lol :lol

Hi, ladies!

Well, it looks like I'll be starting a new thread for 2017! 

We all seem to be getting a better handle on how to get our gift giving in order - as long as we don't forget anyone, we'll do fine, regardless of what we end up deciding to do!! I know how it feels to get those unexpected requests we just can't say no to and which set us back a bit!

When I have the new thread up I'll post a link here and ask Amy to close this one. I'm thinking by New Year's Eve, not much earlier than that, if that sounds good to everyone?

...some of my coasters and tree bookmarks have been gifted already and I'm glad I made the effort to work on fiddly stuff! I love giving gifts that are different! And they weren't big gifts, either!

Archived