My completed (sort of) shawl

donnalynn2

I made this using Bernat Boucle yarn. Originally I was going to just make 2 rows of 5 squares each but as I was working on the last square I ran out of yarn on the last row! UGH! Then I started thinking about just doing 1 row of 5 and 1 row of 3... I like the way it drapes over my shoulders and I am actually wearing it today (it's rather chilly this morning down here in FLA) but I feel like it's missing something... There are several options I can do with this and I need some advice...

Do I: A)Add more squares to do like I was going to do? B)Make 1/2 squares and make this into a triangle shape? C)Do I add a trim to this in a contrasting color? D)Do I make an identical one like this and sew together to create a sweater???

HELP! Thanks! (P.S. My hubby took pics of me wearing this last night wearing a very old T-Shirt and shorts. I don't usually look this sloppy...)

This is the whole thing spread out

shawl1a.jpg

This is a close-up of one of the squares

shawl1b.jpg

This is the side view

shawl1c.jpg

This is the back view

shawl1d.jpg

The and front

shawl1e.jpg

Hmmm, everyone thinks it's great as is? Cool... I guess my DH was right for once! LOL I love the Boucle yarn. It's so nice and soft and very warm... I didn't want to take it off this afternoon when it got too warm to wear it! Come on cold weather!!!!!! (I'm in FLA so my cold weather and everyone else's cold weather is different!)

It's very pretty! Sorry I don't have any advice to offer. I haven't even thought about attempting as intricate as this yet!

Intricate? LOL Not quite! This is one of the easiest things I have ever made! It's basically made up of a bunch of "squares" that I whipstitched together... The squares are so simple... If anyone wants to do this, let me know and I'll let you know how to make the "squares"...

Thanks again everyone! I have much more confidence now!!!

I think what matters most is how it looks on, and it looks terrific on you just as it is. I might add a fun pin in the front to hold it together. If you really wanted to embellish, I might do a very small edging, but I'd definitely do it in the same color. Ditto for tassles at the corner, they'd be most stylish in the same color.

What an interesting design because it looks boxy and incomplete in the floor picture (when I saw only that one shot, I was going to tell you to add triangular half-squares to the bottom row) but after seeing it on the body, the way it drapes and fits, I think it's a terrific design. It's really different, and perfect for people who want a shawl with a bit of a difference.

I'd consider tweaking it and submitting it to Crochet me! if I were you. You could vary the size by varying the size of the block. 25" (? maybe?) blocks for an extra large/plus size, down to 18" squares for a small size.

I'd love to see this "four on top, two on bottom" shawl done in thread in a traditional granny design, using a rainbow of colors. Wouldn't that be wild! This is a really great design - I love it.

I think what matters most is how it looks on, and it looks terrific on you just as it is. I might add a fun pin in the front to hold it together. If you really wanted to embellish, I might do a very small edging, but I'd definitely do it in the same color. Ditto for tassles at the corner, they'd be most stylish in the same color.

What an interesting design because it looks boxy and incomplete in the floor picture (when I saw only that one shot, I was going to tell you to add triangular half-squares to the bottom row) but after seeing it on the body, the way it drapes and fits, I think it's a terrific design. It's really different, and perfect for people who want a shawl with a bit of a difference.

I'd consider tweaking it and submitting it to Crochet me! if I were you. You could vary the size by varying the size of the block. 25" (? maybe?) blocks for an extra large/plus size, down to 18" squares for a small size.

I'd love to see this "four on top, two on bottom" shawl done in thread in a traditional granny design, using a rainbow of colors. Wouldn't that be wild! This is a really great design - I love it.

Yes, it would be easy to change the size by simply changing hooks... I used an M I think... Each square is pretty large (I'll have to measure them) Thanks for everyone's suggestions! Now, I have a question... I got the pattern for the square from a leaflet with ponchos and such in it. The pattern calls for these squares to be sewn together in a poncho form... As I started to make the squares, I decided I didn't want a poncho, I just wanted a shawl so I made a different design with the squares... Could I still submit this somewhere even though I didn't come up with the "square itself"??? Thanks everyone! You guys have convinced me to do another one!!!!

i liked the way it draped as it is. it looks quite nice from the back.... but if you feel there is something missing i can understand. what about making a twin so it is a sweater? that will look super with something dark underneath. well done by the way!:clap

Thanks for suggesting closing it with a pin! It got a little chilly today so I decided to wear it over a short-sleeved sweater and closed it with a pin that I have and I must say it looks amazing!!!! I do think I may still add a simple trim to this, but after seeing how this looks closed with a pin, I really want to submit this somewhere.

I'm having problems finding out how though... This was made using Filet Granny Squares. I can't seem to find out if the "Filet Granny Square" is copyrighted or not... I even posted a question about it on here but nobody has been able to offer any advice. I think this is a great design and want to get it submitted before somebody else steals it!!!

(I'll add pics that show it with the pin hopefully tonite)

dearest donnalynn2m

1st, its wonderfully innovative.

2-- it seems 2 me you are using basic granny sq technique & basic filet technique. seems like you could easily vary the square a bit, come up w/something your own & then u could b free to post the pattern as u wish.

take a look @ how this lady has taken granny sq & gone nuts w/them...

http://www.fortunecity.com/littleitaly/pisa/22/pattern_squares.html

notes on pattern design:

http://www.jpfun.com/reference/design.shtml

[forgive my typing all, broken finger.... BIG crochet interruption!]

Archived