"I Love This Yarn" Price increase

yarnhookncandle

I went to my local Hobby Lobby this morning because "I Love this Yarn" was on sale and who can't use more yarn?  I noticed a few new colors, picked one up to look at it and the label said $5.99!  Picked the other new color up and the label said $5.99.  I asked their "customer service" person was it all going up to 5.99 when the skeins with the 3.99 price were sold out and she said they were resetting the yarn section and yes it would all eventually be 5.99.  I said "Really.... A two dollar increase is a lot for a 3.99 item".  She just shrugged and said she didn't know if it was Hobby Lobby doing it or the manufacturer.  I really like the yarn but not at 5.99 a skein.  A 2.00 increase is crazy. 

Anyway I thought I would let everyone know in case you wanted to stock up now, it is on sale for 3.66.

Hi Katyallen.....No, nothing special, regular I Love this Yarn 4 ply.  I want to say it was ombre colors, two new colors I had not seen before.  I am curious if anyone else has noticed the price increase in their local Hobby Lobby. 

Two other things I've noticed are I don't believe the quality of their I Love this Yarn is as good as it use to be, seems thinner or something and I've noticed over the past year  they are slowly weeding out any other brands of yarn except their brand. 

OMG!!! I remember when it was sold online and when it was on sale, the price was usually less than $2 a skein. I am so glad I bought what I did. Oh and that was when Craftsetc was the site where I got it.

Hobby Lobby is not in my area so I used to just buy ILTY online.

Frankly, that type of increase is outrageous. And it is probably still the 7oz (I long for the good old days of 8 and 6 oz skeins). So far, only Herrschners has their Worsted 8 for $2.99 each, still 8 oz and not a bad yarn either.

Roe

I remember when our Hobby Lobby first opened and it was maybe 1.99, I do know it was cheaper than Redheart SS.

I just sent an email to Hobby Lobby asking about the price increase so I will see what they have to say.  Probably won't hear back till Monday.

Gosh I'm starting to wonder why nobody else has seen the higher price.  I know I didn't imagine it. LOL  Hope someone else chimes in soon who has come across it.

FrLopLady....I bet you are right and now I feel totally stupid.  I know it wasn't a solid color.  The label was a slight shade darker and with them doing a reset on the yarn dept. I thought these two colors were new shades with the newer labels.  Some of the shelves were empty and yarn was in boxes in the aisle where they were in the process of rearranging everything.  I haven't received a reply to my email yet but I am sure you are right.  I did ask for the manager but the girl I asked said she was customer service.  Never knew Hobby Lobby had a customer service person in their stores. 

If you go on their web site I think there are some colors that have been $5.99 since the last price increase to the $3.99, so that be the answer to that.  I know that the RH Love yarn increase to $5.99 last year, at least that is what the price is at Joann's. 

Hmmm, I noticed the overdyed were 5.99 as well.  Should they decide to go up on the regular ILTY, I won't order from them any more.  No stores near me, so it's enough that I have to pay for shipping. :soap  I'll get off now, lol.

They have to somehow pay for their lawsuit they just won. LOL

That is a significant increase but, everything else is rising also. Don't forget to check yard sales and thrift stores. No HB store close to me but, I found 4 skeins of ILTY at a yard sale last month for $1 each. Lucky me.

I decided last year that every time I see a great bargain on good yarn and colors I like, I would buy it.  I have a stash that will last me quite a while!  Still, if I see another bargain.... :dance I do the happy dance.

Oh and if Hobby Lobby would have better sales like they used to instead of the 40% off one full priced item, they would sell more.  With shipping so high it's getting too expensive to pay for them to ship.  Every once in a while Jo Anns has a 50 and a 40% off any item at the same time.  This past week I have bought Red Heart Soft at AC Moore store 2 for $6 and I realized I was missing one skein (forgot one) so I went to Jo Anns and got the one missing skein for $2.50!  I am determined to save!!!

Reminder: Please do not discuss the Hobby Lobby lawsuit and the Supreme Court decision here. We have a longstanding forum rule against political discussions, and there's really no way to discuss this topic without it becoming political.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I like Deramores for DK yarn (Stylecraft).  They have some very good sales.  The only drawback with them is the yarn is sent via regular mail.  So no tracking.  I haven't been disappointed yet and they are always there to ask questions and take care of any issues.

For here in the US, JoAnns is my go to store.  Lately they have been sending coupons in my email.  I also get them in regular mail.  Last month I had 5- 50% off coupons and I bought 5 skeins of yarn. This week it's 25  % off regular and sale items and 50% off one full price Item.  If you spend 25.00, you get free shipping.  I get most of my yarn from JoAnns online because the stores don't carry the variety you can get online.

Michaels has just begun to sell yarn online and I'm having difficulties ordering using the online web page.  If I want to order from them, I will need to call directly.  They had some really good deals this week but I couldn't get their order page to work. :(

I did buy some I Love This Yarn a few months ago.  It's in my stash and feels really soft.  It will be my first time using it and I will refuse to pay any more than the $3.66 on sale.  I still believe Red Heart's soft is comparable.  They just don't have as many colors.

Joann's, Michaels, and AC Moore all have free apps if you have a smart phone.  I find them easy to use when I forget to cut coupons and I'm out shopping.  Locally I find AC Moore has some of the best selection and sales of the three.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Using ILTY for the first time. It had been in my stash for quite a while. I am really disappointed after all the raves I have read about, it is sooooooo splitty, even more than Caron SS. Don't think I'll buy it again after I use up what's in my stash.

Archived