What light do you use to Crochet at night?

Hi all,

I have been trying to find the right light to do my crocheting at night.  About 6 months or so ago, I bought and OTT light.  It lasted for about a half hour.  Had to return it to JoAnns.  Got another one, yep, same thing happened, so I guess I'll stay away from them.  The short time that it did work, I really wasn't impressed by the light coverage.  Does anyone have a lamp or light they love?  For now I'm using a gooseneck lamp.  The light is defused so it's not hot.  That's a plus, but I am limited to the position I can put it in.  This is me, by the end of the evening of crocheting. :blink

Thanks for any help.

I have an Ott light that I've had for probably a good 25 years and have only replaced the bulb in it twice!  Wonder why you had such rotten luck with them.  I love mine and used it ALOT when I did cross stitch.  For crochet I just use the floor lamp that is next to my recliner.  If I need more light then that I'll turn on the lamp next to the couch.  Seems to work fine for me. 

Thanks Deb.  It's strange about my OTT light, I know, but after it happened to me, I read reviews about them and I wasn't the only one who had exactly the same issue.  They must have used better quality parts when you bought yours. :) 

I've had a "flip" Ott light I have used for about 20 years for my painting and have not even had to change the bulb. I suppose they just don't make things like they used to.

I debated on a Ott floor lamp for next to where I crochet and do needlework but decided no, so, I use a large table lamp on my end table that sheds a lot of incandescent light with a 3-way bulb. Most fluorescent lights give me migraines after extended exposure so I try to be careful. An important consideration is not to have a lot of shadows.

Hey, Well our house is ale\ways kinda of dark inside. So we keep a ceiling fan light on. Those light that don't burn a lot of electricity. The new that came out. So, that is the light I use.  But, if I did use a lamp. I would use my favorite lamp. With that kinda light in it. It don't put out heat. And it is next to my chair. I can see just fine with that one. :c9

Thanks all.  Maybe one day when the OTT lights are on sale, I'll try it again.  :ty

Or order it online??? :think It would probably come from a different warehouse.  Maybe??

I have a special lamp for vision problems. Its called a blue spectrum floor lamp. It uses special bulbs.

It gives excellent light. It also has a dimmer switch. Its made in Michigan. My eye surgeon suggested

it. If you would like more information pm me and I will share their information with you.

I have a special lamp for vision problems. Its called a blue spectrum floor lamp. It uses special bulbs.

It gives excellent light. It also has a dimmer switch. Its made in Michigan. My eye surgeon suggested

it. If you would like more information pm me and I will share their information with you.

Can you tell us more about this lamp?  Sounds interesting!

Lights are half off at JoAnn's online store today. The sale is good through Sat June 14 AND they have a coupon for free shipping if over $50. I've included the links in pink for you.

OMG!  When I read your first line, I thought: "Well, maybe they're having electrical problems!"  :lol DUH!!!

I use an Ott light because I crochet a lot at night too. I have a table top, flip-up one, and bought it 2 or 3 years ago. I did discover it does have to be kept very close.

If I am adding a new color to my work or have to match colors, I check my work under the bathroom light, very bright incandescent. Then I look at it under my kitchen sink fluorescent light, which is also very bright. Last, I hold it under the Ott. If I'm not crazy about the color or I have any question about matching, I wait and check it during the day.

Thanks ladies! :ty   For now I bought a $30 (20% off) desk lamp from Bed Bath and Beyond that has an adjustable gooseneck.  It's LED and doesn't give off heat.  For the price, it's working very well.  I can easily adjust the direction and it's enough light for me to see, as long as I have the table lamp on the other side of me on. :applause

I'm finding the gooseneck led works well for me Patricia.  The thing I really like about this one is it doesn't give off the heat like the one I had been using. :)

I live in a studio apartment on the south side of the building so I use sunlight :lol . I  :crocheting mostly after work before it gets dark, or daytime on weekends. When it gets dark I use my ceiling light or a table lamp, depends where I'm sitting. I never thought much about light sources, as long as I can see the :yarn I'll keep working (you can always get light-up hooks :lol).

Ellie 13

Archived