New Books I Found: Doin' My Happy Dance!

The Shrone

Today I had to go to Seattle and since I was there I thought I'd stop by the big Asian market to stock up on some hard-to-find products, plus standard Asian staples that can be bought much cheaper there. The market has a bookstore that I love to look through, even though the books are in various Asian languages.

Today I felt brave and asked the clerk to show me the crochet section. She had no idea what crochet was, so I asked her if she knew what knitting was, and she said yes. When she took me to the craft area there was a special crochet section! I think she thought I as out of my mind, but since Japanese pattern books use symbol crochet, it hardly matters that the supplemental instructions are in Japanese. I opened a book and showed her.

So I began to look at some books and wasn't too impressed with the simple doily designs. But then.....I found the Irish crochet books!

irishlacecover-thumb.jpg irishlacecover2-thumb.jpg

But that's not all! I bought a third book because the patterns really appealed to me and they reminded me of Yoko Suzuki's designs. It wasn't until I got home and looked at the cover did I see that it was indeed a book of her patterns! It was a total bit of good fortune on my part!

yokobook-thumb.jpg

I've been able to figure out what size of thread to use and what hook size, but some of it will have to be a bit of guess work unless I get can my sister to translate for me. (She taught high school Japanese for about 10 years and lived in Japan for 4 years before that.)

Inside the Irish crochet books they give the patterns to make vests, blouses, and gloves, complete with tracing patterns to place the motifs and then symbol crochet how to do the joining lacework. There's even detailed tutorials with pictures that explain everything! I'm on :c9!

What a great find you made there!! I keep hoping to come across something great here, but so far no luck *sigh* one of these days! LOL Can not wait to see what you make from those books!!

Archived