Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

Amy

Theresa, please don't feel like a moron. I've been making garments for 30 years, and I still had a few questions for Jenny, as the Australian way of writing patterns is a bit different than what we're used to seeing here in the US.

We'll all work through any issues together. That's why we're doing this as a crochet-along, so everyone will end up with a garment they're happy with at the end.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm like Theresa, I don't usually  do clothes and stick to afghans. Mine is just a fraction of an inch short of three shells being 4 inches and 6 rows being 4 inches, if I stretch it it will measure right.

So I'm assuming that if I block it after I'm done it will be the right size??

Darlene, yes, your gauge should end up being fine by the time the weight of the garment stretches the lacy stitches open a bit.

You can try spritzing what you've done so far with a little water, which will relax the yarn a little bit. If you can gently pat it out into gauge, you should be totally okay.

If anybody is still waiting on a pattern, it's likely been eaten by the email gremlins. Send me a private message here or over on the Crochetville Facebook page with the email address you used when you placed your order. Once I verify your order, I can send the pattern to you again. I can attach it to the private message here or on Facebook, so you'll just have to click a link to download and won't have to worry about another email going missing.

I think I made it, I've already got a problem-maybe I don't have the correct pattern, I downloaded it when I made my order.  But it says there is a ch 2 space in the 2nd row  where we are to make a shell in every ch 2 space.  Did I miss something I don't have a 2 ch space....am I looking at the wrong side or way. oops sorry for the confusion.

Deena :manyheart

Deena, Row 1 tells you to make a shell in every 5th chain. The shell you make should be (3 dc, ch 2, 1 dc), all in the same chain.

At the end of Row 1, you'll have 16 shells, each of which has a ch-2 space in it. You'll be working a shell in each of those ch-2 spaces. So again, you'll have 16 shells at the end of the row.

Deena, it might be easier if I just send you the pattern here in a private message. Do you need the US or UK version? Once I know which you need, I'll tell you how to find it after I send it.

I've created a Pinterest board where we can all post photos of our items. It's fine with me if you want to post photos of your work-in-progress or just the finished item.

If you'd like me to send you an email invite to pin to our CAL board, just post a comment here and let me know. I'll send it to the email you have on file with your account here.

We may also need to be following each other. Follow Crochetville and post here to tell me your first and last name or the link to your Pinterest account so I can follow you back.

Well, to invite someone to pin on the board, I apparently either need first name/last name or email address. Kim, I'm trying to enter your name as shown above, and Pinterest isn't letting me add you.

I've sent you and irishgardens each an invite via email to the email address you have on file here at the forum. Hopefully that will work!

So I am on row 15 of the back (just finished first skein) and, after reading Amy's reply to Irishgardenlady, and looking at the close-ups of Amy's finished product, I realize I have done my shells wrong! Instead of 3 dc, ch-2, dc, I have been doing 3 dc, ch-2, 2 dc.  I think I saw the 2 from the ch-2 next to the last dc and thought it was 2 dc.   So, it looks like I have 2 options, continue with this shell, or start over.  Since I really don't want to start over, I may continue with this shell.  It seems to be working just fine, and I think it will solve the "will it be too small?" problem. However, I may run out of yarn and I'm afraid it might be too big.

Amy, what do you think?  I have never made a garment before and I don't know how this error will work out if I continue.  Any suggestions?  I will start over if that's what needs to happen.

Here are some pictures of what I have done so far.

post-70453-0-51137300-1391832826_thumb.jpgpost-70453-0-43940300-1391833076_thumb.jpgpost-70453-0-33859600-1391833011_thumb.jpg

I am not doing the CAL, just lurking in the thread and enjoying the posts.  So I hope no one minds if I jump in with a comment.  

Cindy, have you compared what you've made to the pattern gauge/schematics?  On the row you are on now, if I counted right, you have 20+ extra stitches.  It seems that would make it a lot bigger.  Also all those extra stitches are using a lot of yarn so you may well need extra.  

Also the look of the stitch pattern is pretty different.  The pattern is an offset shell which I think usually gives the fabric a drape that straight shell patterns don't have.  Also a different look....the shells don't visually line up in vertical rows, so the crocheted fabric has a pretty different look and feel.  

I am not doing the CAL, just lurking in the thread and enjoying the posts.  So I hope no one minds if I jump in with a comment.  

Cindy, have you compared what you've made to the pattern gauge/schematics?  On the row you are on now, if I counted right, you have 20+ extra stitches.  It seems that would make it a lot bigger.  Also all those extra stitches are using a lot of yarn so you may well need extra.  

Also the look of the stitch pattern is pretty different.  The pattern is an offset shell which I think usually gives the fabric a drape that straight shell patterns don't have.  Also a different look....the shells don't visually line up in vertical rows, so the crocheted fabric has a pretty different look and feel.  

Thank you for the feedback, Kathy, The pattern does have increases of two shells every 7 rows starting in 8, but although I have the right number of shells, I think the extra dc is making it too big.  So, I have decided to start over.  Besides the concerns I listed, there is also the fact that it's getting pretty heavy!  Oh, well, live and learn, I guess.  One good thing is it shouldn't take as long since I will be doing less stitches and I know what I'm doing now.  

Oh my goodness I can't belive I missed the extra dc.....I am to the shoulder shaping now I have to take it all out......gggrrrr

OH, NO ................... I'm on row 27 of the back and I didn't see the last dc either!  The shell count is correct but I'm just missing that last dc.  I'll have to frog and start over!  Good grief .... frog ..... steam .... wind.  Got my work cut out for me today!  :(

Wish they had included a real close-up of the stitch, like Amy's pic. Oh well, coffee first and then frog.

post-70534-0-77408400-1391867502_thumb.jpg

I'll add my close-up to the first post in the thread. And a notation of the shell stitch in the second post.

Archived