Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

Amy

Thanks for the pic, yours is very smooth and one side of my is I'm going to start over again....I can't stand for it not to look like it's suppose to and if I find a mistake I just take it out then.  I've learned to make anything right you have to learn to take out and redo.

I'm a redo logoist.

I frog a lot too but NEVER as much as this project.  Now that I have the "correct" shell sequence it's looking really nice.  The finished garment will be stunning but what a fight it has been for me.  I will do this in another yarn after this if finished.   

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok here goes. MY ends don't look right. 

Can someone help me with the pattern row 7

says  2 dc 1 ch dc in the first 1 ch sp

Are you saying two double crochet in the 1st chain, then dc in the 1st chain space.

Example end of row 6

you said -sk  dc, ch 1 ch dc in the next st

Are you saying-skip dc, chain 1, dc in the next stitch, skip dc in last stitch??

As you work row 6, when you come to the end of Row 5, you're going to see a reverse-shell (1 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) followed by 4 dc.

You'll work a shell as usual into that ch-2 space of the last shell, then you'll skip the 3 dc of that shell, so you have 4 dc left. You'll skip 1 of the dc, then (dc, ch 1, dc) in the 2nd dc, skip the 3rd dc, and dc in the 4th (last) dc.

Australians don't punctuate their patterns the way we do in the US.

Here's Jenny's Row 6:

Ch 3, dc 1 ch dc in the next st, sk 2 dc, 1 shell in each ch-2 sp to last 4 st, sk dc, dc 1 ch dc in the next st. skdc, dc in last st.

Here's my version of Row 6:

Ch 3, (dc, ch 1, dc) in the next dc, sk 2 dc, 1 shell in each ch-2 sp across to last 4 dc, sk 1 dc, (dc, ch 1, dc) in the next dc, sk 1 dc, dc in last dc.

The two ends are not symmetrical in the way you skip stitches in the 4 dc on either end, since the shell itself is not symmetrical. You need to skip the way it's written for the shells to lie correctly.

I fixed Post #2. I have no clue what happened to it the last time I edited it.

Let me know if it goes wonky again and I don't notice!

attachment=70081:001.JPG]I've gotten back up to row 16 where I had been when I realized that I was doing the shells wrong. I'm also working on a baby set and 2 new designs, so I haven't been able to work on this as much as I'd like. Hope to catch up this week.

post-19583-0-89255400-1392067545_thumb.jpg

I was experiencing the really bad twisting/kinking of the yarn and then read Amy's suggestions on how to prevent it.  Yes, I was pulling from the center.  So, I rewound the skein onto a toilet paper roll and put it on a roll holder.  This allowed me to keep the yarn taut as I was crocheting and it really helped with the twist problem.  Now for the rest of the story.  

It's a really snowy day so i am working a lot on my cardigan when my husband sees how I have put my yarn on the toilet paper holder and decides to make it better.  Then, using a PVC pipe and cardboard, he built me a spool to fit on the holder.  To top things off, he helped me wind the yarn onto it by attaching his drill to one end of the spool with a hole-cutting bit that fit in the end of the pipe.  He started the drill and together we wound the yarn in a fraction of the time it took me to do it by hand.  What a wonderful husband!  I've attached pictures of his creation.

post-70453-0-50006700-1392080082_thumb.jpg

post-70453-0-04809400-1392080104_thumb.jpg

post-70453-0-78128500-1392080119_thumb.jpg

PS, after having to frog from the 16th row due to not reading the directions correctly, I am on row 27 and it's looking great!

Cindy, that's a wonderful solution!

So it looks like those who are working very close to pattern gauge will end up with a little bit of yarn left.

I worked to a tighter gauge because I wanted a smaller garment and ended up with 52 grams (about 1/2 skein) left over.

Hi.  I received my yarn yesterday but have not received the pattern. 

Thanks, Nora

Nora, so it doesn't go missing in email again, I sent it to you via a private message here on the forum. To access your message, just scroll up to the black bar at the top of any forum page. Click the envelope icon, and open the message from me. There's a link to click to download the pattern.

I'm going to remove the email address from your forum post so it doesn't get picked up by spam bots.

All done except the sleeves and I have to wait for the extra skein I ordered, I loosened my stitches so that it would be larger to fit my sister. Here is a pic of it so far.

Wow ..... nice work.  Oh, I so wish.  Almost finished with the skein that is really tormenting me.  I'm hoping to have an easier time with the others.  

Are you planning on blocking this?  I usually don't but I think this garment would really benefit from it. 

Did you ever resolve the tangle issue?

Wow ..... nice work.  Oh, I so wish.  Almost finished with the skein that is really tormenting me.  I'm hoping to have an easier time with the others.  

Are you planning on blocking this?  I usually don't but I think this garment would really benefit from it. 

Did you ever resolve the tangle issue?

Thanks, I think I might block it when I get done. I finally got so exasperated with the yarn that I got a small cardboard box put it on the floor beside me and threw the skein I was working with in there, and it seemed to help with the twisting.

Stephanie- When I finished the front I realized my back was also stair stepped so I took it out and redid the decreases. I am not even really sure what I did wrong the first time. I think I made a whole shell after sl st to the first ch-2 sp. It is a ch 3 only and then a shell into the next (2nd) ch 2 space. Maybe someone can post a close up photo. (my seams are done and you can't see that part)

my pinterest acct

http://www.pinterest.com/jrichster/

I've created a Pinterest board where we can all post photos of our items. It's fine with me if you want to post photos of your work-in-progress or just the finished item.

If you'd like me to send you an email invite to pin to our CAL board, just post a comment here and let me know. I'll send it to the email you have on file with your account here.

We may also need to be following each other. Follow Crochetville and post here to tell me your first and last name or the link to your Pinterest account so I can follow you back.

Archived