Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

Amy

I'm so sorry I did not take a pic of the skeins before rewinding them.  Instead of helping it made it worse.  Me bad!  

What about trying to rewind them into a ball by hand?

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished in red. Love the feel.

You did a great job! It does feel really great while wearing it, doesn't it?

Makes all the twistiness of the yarn worth it. And for whatever it's worth, the yarn even twisted up on me quite a bit, even though I'm left-handed.

I just got started today and love it!!  I'm on the 17th row in the back.  I'm a bit of a worry wart so I ordered 2 extra skeins this morning to make sure I have enough for an xl as I went up a hook size.  The navy is beautiful.  I can't wait to show off my finished product...probably in March. :)

So, I put the skein in a largish container with a cover & hole to pull the yarn through, this seems to be helping with the twisting, I am pulling from the outside, not the center.  I still get a little, but not enough that I have to do anything about it. *I actually bought a plastic kitchen storage container with a spout, to get this effect.

So, I put the skein in a largish container with a cover & hole to pull the yarn through, this seems to be helping with the twisting, I am pulling from the outside, not the center.  I still get a little, but not enough that I have to do anything about it. *I actually bought a plastic kitchen storage container with a spout, to get this effect.

I'll have to try that and see if it helps me.

*I actually bought a plastic kitchen storage container with a spout, to get this effect.

Would you like to share a photo of your unique solution? I love it!

I am reading ahead and do not understand how to construct the front panels.  Do work the panels separately and sew to the back panel?   Help!

Yes. You'll make one back piece, and two front pieces. You can make both front pieces exactly the same, and then just flip one over when you're ready to attach it to the back at the side seams and shoulders.

In the second post of this thread, I've included a link to download the Asian seaming technique that Jenny recommends in the pattern. It's not sewing, it's crochet, and it will take you no time at all to seam things up. The seaming technique is practically invisible. I am going to start using this technique on lots of garments!!

Finally got the back done. Am wondering if I should order another skein of yarn?? I was worried about being on gauge so I crocheted loosely and used 2 and a half skeins for the back.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to let somebody else answer that question. I made my garment smaller than called for, so I had 52 grams of yarn left over.

Can anyone who's making their project to the gauge in the pattern or slightly larger let us know approximately how much yarn you used for the back?

Ok, I'm ready to start the front panels, my question is, do I increase both sides until I have done rws 3 -9 twice and then after that only increase on the sideseam?

You got it!

How do we make the increase?

When you start the front, you'll just repeat the rows from the back piece, that detail how to increase on both sides. After you've done that, the instructions for the front piece are written so you'll just be increasing on one side only.

I used almost 3 skeins on my back. Using a bit larger hook and a bit larger then guage

I'm afraid I'm going to have to let somebody else answer that question. I made my garment smaller than called for, so I had 52 grams of yarn left over.

Can anyone who's making their project to the gauge in the pattern or slightly larger let us know approximately how much yarn you used for the back?

I have had my share of troubles with this pattern, I swear this is a easy pattern but I;ve taken this out so many times it's funny.  Here are some pic's.....I have a couple of comments to make before I ask my questions.

The yarn is great.  I have the black, and I haven't had any problem with it  twisting, but I've only used one skein so far.

Once you take it out several times and have it all piles up to re crochet then it gets a little tangled.  I love the cotton feel and the shinny appearance the black has.  I think it's wonderful.

The only thing I've found that wasn't to good was the many times my yarn was pieced together.  It needed to be pieced together better-it was tied to short and to tight to try and weave it in. I cut it and used the Russian knot to join the pieces together.

Ok here goes. MY ends don't look right. 

Can someone help me with the pattern row 7

says  2 dc 1 ch dc in the first 1 ch sp

Are you saying two double crochet in the 1st chain, then dc in the 1st chain space.

Example end of row 6

you said -sk  dc, ch 1 ch dc in the next st

Are you saying-skip dc, chain 1, dc in the next stitch, skip dc in last stitch??

See my ends don't look smooth like ya's.  Help so I can't stop pulling it out.

Deena Paine

post-70656-0-69109800-1391999347_thumb.jpg

post-70656-0-47917700-1391999373_thumb.jpg

post-70656-0-13622200-1391999421_thumb.jpg

post-70656-0-96447300-1391999463_thumb.jpg

I think the way the pattern is written is very confusing.  I haven't gotten very far with mine as I had to finish up a couple items first but by the time I get back to mine hopefully all these "kinks" will be worked out. 

Also maybe Amy can take a look at Post 2?  I went to see the changes there and it's all funky looking?

I think the way the pattern is written is very confusing.  I haven't gotten very far with mine as I had to finish up a couple items first but by the time I get back to mine hopefully all these "kinks" will be worked out. 

Also maybe Amy can take a look at Post 2?  I went to see the changes there and it's all funky looking?

Yep, agree .......... I think the pattern is written in a style we're not use to or I'm not use to.  I have to read through the instructions for each row several times before it really clicks.  I just attributed this to being a senior citizen or lack of experience. 

Archived