Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

Amy

well.  I am going to be able to start on mine today.  Everything so far that everyone has posted looks like it will help. I work early in the morning, so, after a bit of a nap I am going to start!!!!!! :yay

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

without blocking, and using an h hook. I am getting gauge.  I don't always block my items.  I read that this item may grow with wear. I'm thinking I will use a G hook and see what happens.  It should still fit as I am wanting to fit a large.

on second thought. I have a hook that is between a G and an H hook.  Think I will use it.

I had a very hard time withe the first row.  I would do the shell, and since it was so many stitches in one stitch, I wasn't always able to do the skip four and end up in the right stitch for the next shell, then I would not end at the right stitch.   So, after about the 5th start over, I did the following:  I figured out which chain stitch would have the shell and started marking the stitches with a stitch marker as I did the 82 chain stitches.

FYI, here are the stitches to mark as you chain: 3, 8,13,18,23,28,33,38,43,48,53,58,63,68,73,78

It really helped me because I knew exactly where to put the shell.

Hope this can be of help to others.

Cindy

I am really enjoying this pattern. Finished the back and starting on the front. Glad to see the photos of the back and front side in progress to know I am on the right track.  I found that using a bread bag tag as a row marker works well for me. I write the row number on it in pencil and can easily erase it and change the number as needed. This way I can find where I was at easier each time I pick it back up.

Don't know where I've gone wrong, just finished the back and thought I'd followed the pattern correctly, but at the end of row 50 I'm left with 10 shells with 5 shells decreased on one side and 6 shells decreased on the other side so it doesn't square up, obviously not what the pattern says :(  

I started last night and have completed through row 4.  I'm sure to get more rows completed this evening while we watch the super bowl.  Today we go to my daughter's fitting for her wedding dress!

I received the yarn on Friday. Made a gauge with hook 4,5 mm and blocked it. I have to downsize the size of the crochethook. I think it will be better to make a new gauge with a hook of 4 mm. If the gauge on the pattern says 5 loops, are that 5 shells?

I received the yarn on Friday. Made a gauge with hook 4,5 mm and blocked it. I have to downsize the size of the crochethook. I think it will be better to make a new gauge with a hook of 4 mm. If the gauge on the pattern says 5 loops, are that 5 shells?

My pattern gauge states: 3 shells and 6 rows = 10cm or 4" swatch.

trying to do the front now (giving up on the back + the decreasing for the time being) - There is no row 32, it goes straight from row 31 to rows 33-42??  

Front ends on row 51 and back ends on row 50???

Also, the UK version of the pattern that I was sent, says 4.5mm (G hook) where as I've seen in previous posts 4.mm   ????

Now I have a question-  is the "increase on side seam only" from row 3 through row 16? I come up with only 4 shells instead of 6 after the two repeats. (I am NOT good at math.) Help!?

Dolly, sorry, I was tired when I wrote my original answer here and I was incorrect.

On rows 3-16, you will increase on both sides, just like you did for the back.

From row 17 onward, you decrease on only 1 side, as the instructions are written.

The page break really should have come before the bold texted line about decreasing on only 1 side.

Don't know where I've gone wrong, just finished the back and thought I'd followed the pattern correctly, but at the end of row 50 I'm left with 10 shells with 5 shells decreased on one side and 6 shells decreased on the other side so it doesn't square up, obviously not what the pattern says :(  

I am not that far on my back piece yet. I'll let you know what I get once I get there.

trying to do the front now (giving up on the back + the decreasing for the time being) - There is no row 32, it goes straight from row 31 to rows 33-42??  

Front ends on row 51 and back ends on row 50???

Also, the UK version of the pattern that I was sent, says 4.5mm (G hook) where as I've seen in previous posts 4.mm   ????

See the correction I've posted for this in Post #2 of this thread. The correction is for the US version. I will get the UK version from Jenny and see what I can do.

As we find things that need to be clarified or corrected in the pattern, I will post those issues in Post #2 of this thread. So be sure to check that post to see all important information in one place.

The different in hook sizes is due to different terminology being used in different countries.

I'm using a Tulip Etimo hook, which is marked as G-6/4.0 mm.

For some brands, the G hook measures 4.0 mm. For other brands, it may measure 4.5 mm.

The important thing with gauge is to use the suggested hook merely as a starting place. Some people will get gauge with the recommended hook. Others will have to go up or down a hook size or two.

We all crochet differently, so it doesn't mean there's a problem if you can't get gauge with the same hook the designer used. :)

I got my hook size from the UK version of the pattern too- 4.5mm and I am getting gauge.

Converting hook sizes is always a bit of an issue as there does not seem to be a consensus between websites about what each size is equal to.  A lot of websites will say that a G is a 4mm, but some say that it is more like a 4.25mm, which is halfway between the two.  I am very interested to hear people's thoughts about that if they have other sources that shed more light on equivalent sizes!

Hello,

I have a question re. the gauge:

The UK pattern version says: 10 rows & 5 loops = 10 cm(4") for 4,5 mm or G hook

Are the 5 loops = 5 shells???

On the other hand:

the US pattern version says: 3 shells & 6 rows = 10 cm (4") also for G hook

now what is the correct gauge please???

Marina

I have ordered by yarn and I just got my pattern in my email.  I'm excited to start.  I ordered my yarn in Yellow!  I too will need to make mine a bit larger than an XL, so I will practice with different hook sizes.

The US pattern gauge is correct.

With 50 rows, if 6 rows = 4", the back is going to be 33" long.

With 50 rows, if 10 rows = 4", the back would only be 20" long.

When we look at the pictures, the bottom of the back piece falls under the butt. On me, 20" comes down to my waist. 33" comes down a little further than what is shown in the photo, but I'm only 5'4".

Archived