Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

Amy

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diane, no, sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the finished front and back pieces before I seamed them together.. The shoulders slope up very gently, and you'll have 4 remaining shells centered in the middle of the back.

Hi I have been working on the Amy cardigan but I am now stuck at row 10 who can I ask about it? Thanks Stephanie  The yarn is so pretty love it I got the green...thanks Stephanie

Stephanie, please ask your question here. I'll do my best to help you, as will any of the others who have made it that far already.

You all are going to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Jenny's Asian seaming technique. It's so quick and easy, super-easy to remove if necessary, and it looks really good, too!

Diane, no, sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the finished front and back pieces before I seamed them together.. The shoulders slope up very gently, and you'll have 4 remaining shells centered in the middle of the back.

thanks Amy. This should help!

Hi Everyone!  My name is Della and I am working on the Amy CAL with the rest of you.  I ordered my kit in Orange and the color is beautiful!  I have the back just about finished and would like to make a few comments.   For those thinking it will be too small - remember this is a shrug, not designed to close in the front, just hang from your shoulders. Also, I have often been able to block a garment to cheat a few more inches from it.  I contacted the designer and she said blocking is not necessary, but I see no reason why you could not prior to seaming if you need a little more "wiggle room."   There are lots of repeats in this pattern, so be sure to copy it so you can mark your repeats right on the pattern and your original stays clean.  I use hash marks.   The turns are a bit tricky so as you approach the end of the row, turn the TV down and concentrate!  :)    Hook on!   Della

Fewer than 10 tails left to weave in. When my husband gets home from work tonight, I'll have him take a picture of me wearing it.

I posted this earlier because I had the same problem:

I had a very hard time withe the first row.  I would do the shell, and since it was so many stitches in one stitch, I wasn't always able to do the skip four and end up in the right stitch for the next shell, then I would not end at the right stitch.   So, after about the 5th start over, I did the following:  I figured out which chain stitch would have the shell and started marking the stitches with a stitch marker as I did the 82 chain stitches.

FYI, here are the stitches to mark as you chain: 3, 8,13,18,23,28,33,38,43,48,53,58,63,68,73,78

It really helped me because I knew exactly where to put the shell.

Hope this can be of help to others.

Cindy

Thank you for this Cindy!  I'm glad I read this post as I was going to do the same thing.  You saved me a lot of work  :)

My yarn just arrived today.  I have two questions.  First, the twist in the navy looks very dark.  For others using navy does that dark striping seem to fade?  Second, I have read many comments on the xl sizing.  How is that working out?  Has anyone resorted to purchasing more yarn?  Thanks for the help.  Can't wait to start this beautiful project!

Nitwit, don't worry about the twist looking dark while on the skein. I bought purple, and in the bag it looked like it was purple and black striped yarn. Even after I took it out of the bag, the rayon looked significantly darker than the cotton strands.

It's amazing how those stripes disappear into the texture of the garment once you start crocheting.

I finished my cardigan last night. I'm about to go take some pictures of it on the dress form. I meant to have my husband take photos of me wearing it last night, but he got home pretty late. I'll try to do that tonight.

I'll take some overall photos right now, and a close-up shot of the stitch detail as well.

Back in a few minutes with photos.

Front view, after weaving in ends:

FinalFront.png

Back view, after weaving in ends:

FinalBack.png

Remainder of a skein:

IMG_1752.png

Close-up of remainder of a skein:

IMG_1758.png

Stitch detail:

IMG_1766.png

Close up of stitch detail:

IMG_1770.png

Mine looks much more like irishgardenlady's - to get the shells as tight as those shown in Amy's photos would not come anywhere near the gauge listed in the patterns.  *And this is why I don't usually do garments, it makes me feel like a moron - I am either WAY to big or way too small and it never comes out looking anything like the photos.

I'm like Theresa, I don't usually  do clothes and stick to afghans. Mine is just a fraction of an inch short of three shells being 4 inches and 6 rows being 4 inches, if I stretch it it will measure right.

So I'm assuming that if I block it after I'm done it will be the right size??

Am I doing something wrong mine doesn't look like the picures....

It looks like you're just doing 3 dc, ch 2

The shell is supposed to be (3 dc, ch 2, 1 dc) all in the same ch-2 space.

thank you JourneyGirl - you are correct (at least in my case) and I can't believe I misread the directions that badly.  - I was about 2/3 done with the back now I get to start over.   

You're very welcome.  I'm just getting started too... I'm on row 3.

Mine looks much more like irishgardenlady's - to get the shells as tight as those shown in Amy's photos would not come anywhere near the gauge listed in the patterns.  *And this is why I don't usually do garments, it makes me feel like a moron - I am either WAY to big or way too small and it never comes out looking anything like the photos.

Please don't worry about matching my gauge. You probably don't want to try, as it will result in a garment that is smaller than stated in the pattern. My dc stitches are not as tall as those of many people, so my row gauge is always off.

I'm also a little off on the stitch gauge, so mine is going to look tighter than others.

I'm using a G hook, but my gauge is tighter than that given in the pattern. I chose to leave it that way, since I wear a size 4, and I am perfectly happy with my garment coming out smaller than a garment that follows the pattern gauge.

Archived