Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

Amy

I was up to row 16, but have to start over. I misread the pattern too- I was doing the shells as 3dc, ch2,3dc. When I looked at Amy's pictures I realized I had done something wrong.

I am sorry about you having to start over, but secretly I'm glad I'm not the only one who misread it!  I was on row 15 and was doing 3dc, ch2, 2dc!  

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've created a Pinterest board where we can all post photos of our items. It's fine with me if you want to post photos of your work-in-progress or just the finished item.

If you'd like me to send you an email invite to pin to our CAL board, just post a comment here and let me know. I'll send it to the email you have on file with your account here.

We may also need to be following each other. Follow Crochetville and post here to tell me your first and last name or the link to your Pinterest account so I can follow you back.

Diane Carroll   http://www.pinterest.com/dotk52/

My  husband is NOT a fashion photographer, so please excuse the quality of the photos! :)

photo 1.JPG     photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG     photo 4.JPG

That's what mine looks like most of the time also, I have never frogged so many times on a project as this one...I keep forgetting the single dc on the end of the  shell and don't notice it till I get to it in the next row...and this yarn twists really bad and makes it hard to work with.

Darlene, read through the thread for some tips on managing the twisting.

The garment feels so nice when you wear it!

So I am on row 15 of the back (just finished first skein) and, after reading Amy's reply to Irishgardenlady, and looking at the close-ups of Amy's finished product, I realize I have done my shells wrong! Instead of 3 dc, ch-2, dc, I have been doing 3 dc, ch-2, 2 dc.  I think I saw the 2 from the ch-2 next to the last dc and thought it was 2 dc.   So, it looks like I have 2 options, continue with this shell, or start over.  Since I really don't want to start over, I may continue with this shell.  It seems to be working just fine, and I think it will solve the "will it be too small?" problem. However, I may run out of yarn and I'm afraid it might be too big.

Amy, what do you think?  I have never made a garment before and I don't know how this error will work out if I continue.  Any suggestions?  I will start over if that's what needs to happen.

Here are some pictures of what I have done so far.

attachicon.gifDSCF2925.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF2928.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF2934.JPG

love this color!!!

That's what mine looks like most of the time also, I have never frogged so many times on a project as this one...I keep forgetting the single dc on the end of the  shell and don't notice it till I get to it in the next row...and this yarn twists really bad and makes it hard to work with.

I fight this yarn with every single stitch.  Made the mistake of 1. center pulled the skein 2. Using a ball winder in the wrong direction.  In trolling the internet for a solution I found that the very action of the back to front yarn over causes a partial revolution to the Z twist and with the dc it is multiplied by 4.  Add this to the above mentioned and I have created my own hell.

I've tried putting the yarn cake on spindles horizontally and vertically and it has not solved the problem.  The spindle helped but did not solve it.  I still have to stop at least once per row to fidget with the yarn.  I am hoping that frogging and rewinding the yarn counterclockwise will solve this.  Yarn spinners say to wind yarn clockwise for Z and counterclock for S twists.  

A Z twist yarn has been developed and released for sale by two well known crochet designers.  How can they be wrong?  Z twist yarn is suppose to be the darling of crocheters but not for me so far. 

I think they should label all yarn with the twist information and that if you center pull a Z twist yarn it will add additional twist to the yarn that you'll live to regret.  Outside pull is the best so they say for all twists ........ who knew! 

I fight this yarn with every single stitch.  Made the mistake of 1. center pulled the skein 2. Using a ball winder in the wrong direction.  In trolling the internet for a solution I found that the very action of the back to front yarn over causes a partial revolution to the Z twist and with the dc it is multiplied by 4.  Add this to the above mentioned and I have created my own hell.

I've tried putting the yarn cake on spindles horizontally and vertically and it has not solved the problem.  The spindle helped but did not solve it.  I still have to stop at least once per row to fidget with the yarn.  I am hoping that frogging and rewinding the yarn counterclockwise will solve this.  Yarn spinners say to wind yarn clockwise for Z and counterclock for S twists.  

A Z twist yarn has been developed and released for sale by two well known crochet designers.  How can they be wrong?  Z twist yarn is suppose to be the darling of crocheters but not for me so far. 

I think they should label all yarn with the twist information and that if you center pull a Z twist yarn it will add additional twist to the yarn that you'll live to regret.  Outside pull is the best so they say for all twists ........ who knew! 

i'm pulling from the center of mine.  It does twist and kink up on me a bit from time to time.  I just pull the yarn out a bit more and it adjusts itself.  Not having much trouble with mine.  I love the look and feel of this yarn.  I love the weight and drape of the fabric.

i'm pulling from the center of mine.  It does twist and kink up on me a bit from time to time.  I just pull the yarn out a bit more and it adjusts itself.  Not having much trouble with mine.  I love the look and feel of this yarn.  I love the weight and drape of the fabric.

It is very rare that I rewind yarn from a new skein.  The ball winder is not out and convenient.  The skeins I received were a bit twisty and messy so I rewound it thinking that it would help in straighten it out ........ wrong!  I'm so sorry I did not take a pic of the skeins before rewinding them.  Instead of helping it made it worse.  Me bad!  

It is very rare that I rewind yarn from a new skein.  The ball winder is not out and convenient.  The skeins I received were a bit twisty and messy so I rewound it thinking that it would help in straighten it out ........ wrong!  I'm so sorry I did not take a pic of the skeins before rewinding them.  Instead of helping it made it worse.  Me bad!  

one of the things I love about doing a CAL like this one, with a yarn that I had never used before, we can all learn from each other.   I don't generally wind balls either unless I am doing a graphghan.  Mine is not in a convenient spot either.  Did you re-wind all of your skeins?  I hope that in the end everything works out for you.

I get that twist  even when I pulled from the outside, I seem to have less problem though with pulling from the center. I have never worked with this kind of yarn before and have no idea what a Z twist and a S twist are. :think

I get that twist  even when I pulled from the outside, I seem to have less problem though with pulling from the center. I have never worked with this kind of yarn before and have no idea what a Z twist and a S twist are. :think

Amy has a bit of a conversation about the yarn in an earlier post.  Not sure which number.  Closer to the beginning of the thread I think.

Neither did I.  Just trolling to find a solution and came upon all this info.  As anything else nothing is chiseled in stone and peeps will find what and what doesn't work for them.  So center pull, outside pull whatever works .... go for it.

This morning was very early.  I am starting row 17 on the first front piece.  Will work again tomorrow.  I am right now glad that I got an extra skein of yarn.  Have a great evening, day, afternoon.  What ever part of the world you are in.

I've created a Pinterest board where we can all post photos of our items. It's fine with me if you want to post photos of your work-in-progress or just the finished item.

If you'd like me to send you an email invite to pin to our CAL board, just post a comment here and let me know. I'll send it to the email you have on file with your account here.

We may also need to be following each other. Follow Crochetville and post here to tell me your first and last name or the link to your Pinterest account so I can follow you back.

I would love an invite:  Cindy Urbat. 

Admin Edit: Removed email for your security and sent an invite.

starting the shoulder shaping on the back, and, if I am reading correctly, we will be decreasing each row by 3 shells until for 50 (or 49) until there are 4 shells remaining?

That is correct. You'll decrease by one shell at the beginning of the row and by two shells at the end of the row, for a total of 3.

Archived