Boxing Day CAL 2014

babypoohsmom

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Donna, I have also found that even though Pound of Love is marked as a #4, it really is thinner than Caron Pounders and RHSS which are also marked as #4. I have learned not to mix them in.

Linda, I am sorry that your wrist is still not back to normal after all of this time. How long has it been since you hurt it? I know how frustrating it is to be sidelined. I hope you are finding other fun things to do.

And to Darski, thanks for the link to the hat pattern. You know I am always looking for new hats to try. That one looks fun. I still have one more you showed us with the word "bird" in the title to try. You made one for Easter. I do remember that part. Anyway, thanks. Now I have a hat and a ripple to try. Oops, need that crochet stay-cation.

I have been trying to make one hat each night before bed on the Addi with that donated thin yarn. I am doing pretty good so far. Just finished one a bit ago.

oh the wrist is fine,its just regular life getting in the way at times

I've been helping my dd with her handicapped husband,they live with us,it was just confirmed he has Altzhimers

I am so sorry to hear this.  I have a dear sister in Christ who has been dealing with this for 8 years.  Will keep you all in prayer.

oh the wrist is fine,its just regular life getting in the way at times

I've been helping my dd with her handicapped husband,they live with us,it was just confirmed he has Altzhimers

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's such a hard road. One of my friends described her families journey with Alzheimer's as a whole series of devastating losses, and I think that really describes this illness. Hugs and prayers.

On another note, I have to say thank you, esp to Darski for encouraging me to start a round ripple. I'm finding it kind of tedious, (so many double crochet stitches....), but I like how it's turning out, and I'm really happy with the fact that I did not even feel the slightest temptation to purchase at least some yarn for it. I already have enough yarn to crochet full time for years, but usually this does not stop me from purchasing more. I think I need to look for some more projects that will help me use up stash.

Darski and Gardener

thank you for your kind words,its been a heck of a year,mil has dementia for a # of yrs but April of this year was really bad,she is now in a nursing home,so two in one year is kind of rough going

Pineknott, that is terrible news. Alzheimer's and dementia are dreadful, both for the person and their caretakers. It is not an easy thing to watch happen.

Babypoohsmom - I agree about the Pound of Love, but the Herrschnerr's was on the thin side too, so I was hoping I could get by it. Oh, well, on to plan B someday.

Ok, here are lots of photos. The pink in the baby blanket pic is, I think, closer to the true color. I have made two adult round ripples in that color, but only took pics of one. The limone is that weird Hobby Lobby mix - I don't think it was a success at all, and unfortunately, I have more of it left than I had hoped. The seaspray./lavender/white is also Hobby Lobby yarn.

The started wave in the green/white is what I'm working on now, but not for donation. I frogged that and I'm going to make it a repeat wider and keep it. I have been crocheting for 50 years and don't have anything I have ever made. I can use it temporarily on the bed - I think I'll have enough of that yarn. I have some wonderful DK weight from Deramore's that is destined for a bed afghan for me eventually, but it will probably be several years before I get around to it. The color of this green/white is really much nicer than it looks in the picture. I made one that I donated last year, and it was sort of a wrench to give it away, so I decided that since this is discontinued yarn, I will just make this last one for me.

post-39480-0-27143900-1410475249_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-51802700-1410475264_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-01187000-1410475363_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-09043100-1410475395_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-41607100-1410475424_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-20443300-1410475455_thumb.jpg

Donna, the first afghan, is that a pattern you can share? It's very pretty, and I love the border.

Linda, I am sorry that you are going through this again. How old is your son in law?

I have been keeping up for the most part with the one hat a day plan. Here is what I did this week.

post-13802-0-14614300-1410650404_thumb.jpg

babypoohsmom - those are such pretty hats. I love the cheery yellow and orange ones.

lol - yes, I think I can share the pattern. It's just all over V stitch. For the border I used a row of sc to sort of stabilize it, and then several rounds of hdc. It did turn out looking better than I expected and it made the yarn go a long way. Not to mention it was fast, since I was basically just outlining holes. Brainless. My kind of pattern!

I've brought in a skein of RH baby print and my shell stitch book. If I have time at work, I'm going to start test driving some of the patterns. There's one I really like, and when it tried it some years ago, it didn't seem to be working. I want to give it another try. I love this stitch pattern book - probably some or all of you have it - Darla Sims 280 Shell Patterns. It's #44, upside down shells. 

I've got about 2/3 of another adult lapghan done with double strand green tones boucle. I'm going to have a lot of yarn left, but not enough to do another double strand, and I think I'll just toss the rest. I don't like working with boucle enough to spend a lot of time with it, and it seems to me it would be way too limp/thin for an adult size lapghan, and it's not a good color of a baby blanket. I guess I could make a scarf or hat or both from it, but I don't think I'll bother. I bought it on closeout, so I don't have much money tied up in it. Then I'll do the wave for myself and I'll have cleared all the bulky from the stash. Hooray!

Thanks, it is fun to mix and match the colors to see what they look like when they are made up.

Donna, I like the "stable" border. I could not tell if that was just a V stitch or not.

I also have some boucle that I never can seem to decide what to do with. When you are used to having something a little more substantial, a shawl made from it doesn't seem right. I make cat mats with 3 strands of yarn so I did use up some leftover stuff that way. I probably have 6 or so of those big skeins of the Joann's brand in my stash. Bought it because it was so pretty....but after the "flimsy" shawl, it just sits there.

Donna, the first afghan, is that a pattern you can share? It's very pretty, and I love the border.

Linda, I am sorry that you are going through this again. How old is your son in law?

I have been keeping up for the most part with the one hat a day plan. Here is what I did this week.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

he is only 50 as of June of this yr,he has a lot of issues,that would put him right in the zone to get it at an earlier age than most.

even he has been in steady decline since the 1st of this year.

babypoohsmom - that's the same boucle that I have, the huge Joann skeins. I bought a lot of it when it was discontinued, and ending up selling most of it at my cost to a member of the forum. She took all I had left except this mossy green variegated. It makes a really nice afghan doubled - I'm using an L hook in a very simple ripple dc ripple pattern. It is thick, squishy, and super warm. Too warm for me in Louisiana, but probably someone in the hospice with institutional a/c will be happy for the extra warmth. I'll be glad to have it all out of my stash. You know what a space hog it is. It's a shame you can't use it for cat mats, but I'm sure they would get their claws caught in it every time they moved. I can see it used double stranded for women's hats and scarves - they would be soft and very warm. I also found it easier to work it double with a big hook - the stitches seem easier to distinguish when they are larger.

When I looked back at the picture, it looks like I also put a row of reverse sc on the outside of the border. I use that on almost all my lapghans. I like the way it looks and it's a good sturdy stitch.

I've played with some patterns in the stitch book and found four I like that I  think will work. Two are a little lacier than I usually do, but I'm sitting next to a mother and she said she didn't think a baby would fall through the holes. Actually, they aren't that lacy, but I'm just not used to working those kinds of patterns. Some will look ok variegated, some will be better in solid colors, so I'm set to go. I think I may give up on the one I liked. I just don't like the way it works up, and I still don't think I'm doing the edges right. I don't know why this one baffles me. How hard can a pattern based on shells be? There are still a few I want to try. I need some new patterns.

Hi y'all

Just got through making my dad a hat last night. That's really all I've crocheted in a while. Kinda out of ideas as to what to crochet!! I lost some of my yarn paper that tells what some of my yarn is. Also I don't even have a full skein of yarn or many of the same kinds of yarn. Any patterns or ideas please? HELP!!!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Those are really nice hats. I'm impressed with the hat a day plan.

Hi y'all

Just got through making my dad a hat last night. That's really all I've crocheted in a while. Kinda out of ideas as to what to crochet!! I lost some of my yarn paper that tells what some of my yarn is. Also I don't even have a full skein of yarn or many of the same kinds of yarn. Any patterns or ideas please? HELP!!!

I'm making this afghan to use up my leftover yarn. I do each stripe in a different random color. As long as the yarn weight is pretty close to the same, and all the yarn requires the same care, you can mix different brands.

http://belladia.typepad.com/bella_dia/2006/11/vintage_vertica.html

You could also make striped hats, scarves, etc.

Archived