Boxing Day CAL 2014

babypoohsmom

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great lapghan cshort. What join method do you use? I have stacks and stacks of squares but every time I try to assemble, I am unhappy with the results. I don't know if I am bad at it or just haven't found a method that works for me. I crochet tightly. So if there is anyone out there who knows a good join technique for a person who crotchets a bit tightly, please let me know.

I made a new hat on my Addi machine. I like these. They are warm and comfortable.

post-13802-0-72028800-1402636852_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone.

On this afghan I used a join as you go method that joined the squares as I crocheted the last round. I also just whip stitch squares together with yarn and a large needle through the back loops. That is very nice hat too.

I finished another afghan last night but haven't taken a picture yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have been on vacation. Took a cruise. Had fun but got a sinus infection and was miserable the last day and actually cried on the plane rides home because of the pressure in my head. So, so glad to be home.

I do love that Addi. I got it from my LYS. The owner bought it as a demonstration machine and then decided her knit shop was too "pure" to have a machine knitter. I got it for half price. I am going to Germany in 6 weeks and plan to see how much they are there (that is where they are made) I have the big one one which makes great hats. The smaller one is the perfect size for scarves. It's great for fast charity work, but is an expensive investment up front. But the quality is second to none.

I finally pulled all of the hats out of my craft room and counted them and took a picture. 84 hats! I think I need a new kick. Anyone have an easy fingerless glove pattern? Oh, I also need a very (and I can't emphasize "very" enough) simple star afghan pattern. Can anyone direct me to one? Here are my hats...
post-13802-0-88960700-1403896023_thumb.jpg

what a wonderful hat,reminds me of sherbet

I got robbed out of my visit to Germany (1978)we rotated out of Sicily earlier than we had planned,darn it,never got to see his sister's German digs,sigh

I finally got it together and finished the last crochet WIP, a wave pattern lapghan in a green/white marl brushed bulky yarn. I was a little of a wrench to give it away because it was a wonderful soft squishy thing, and looked a lot better than I thought that yarn was going to. However, I bought a bunch of it on closeout, and have enough left to make one for me someday if I want to. Sorry, no pics. I've been hauling stuff around in my trunk for donation to a shelter for women and children, and I added this last lapghan and dropped it off on the way to work. 

I hit the jackpot at Hobby Lobby. I went by Wednesday and found 9 skeins of variegated ILTY, 7 of one color, two of another, for .80. Yes, Eighty cents a skein! There was a whole bin of another one for the same price, but it was so ugly I thought it would be vary unkind to give anything made from it to someone who already has plenty of troubles. To prove my point, when I went by today it was all still there. They can't even sell it for less than $1 a skein. 

I had started another, but, (dumb, dumb, dumb) when I went by today to pick up a color I needed for it, I grabbed the wrong color. I needed periwinkle  and picked up orchid. So that's on hold until I can get back. Maybe I'll start one in the meanwhile with some of my new bargain yarn.

80 cents?  Bargain of the month.  Wow, good for you.  I never go to Hobby Lobby because I get to run most of my errands on Sunday, so…I mostly go to Joann's. 

Did you know that your little picture is not showing up?  You are officially a "dark shadow"!! 

Linda, I love that you spelled sherbet correctly.  After 4 years of working at Baskin Robbins as a kid, I got annoyed with people saying "sherbeRt"!  What a snob I was!  I am sure I thought there was a 2nd R in there before I started my scooping career!  I am very excited to be going to Germany again.  I am taking my Dad who is 78 and has never been out of the country really.  He joined the Army Air Corps during Korea and got stationed in Kansas!!  

80 cents?  Bargain of the month.  Wow, good for you.  I never go to Hobby Lobby because I get to run most of my errands on Sunday, so…I mostly go to Joann's. 

Did you know that your little picture is not showing up?  You are officially a "dark shadow"!! 

Linda, I love that you spelled sherbet correctly.  After 4 years of working at Baskin Robbins as a kid, I got annoyed with people saying "sherbeRt"!  What a snob I was!  I am sure I thought there was a 2nd R in there before I started my scooping career!  I am very excited to be going to Germany again.  I am taking my Dad who is 78 and has never been out of the country really.  He joined the Army Air Corps during Korea and got stationed in Kansas!!  

Oh wow,how very special that will be for the both of you

imagine how disappointed he was to be stationed in Kansas,and not somewhere more exotic,like the tropics

As it turned out, I DID need orchid. That's what I had labeled the yarn I had when I got it 3 or 4 years ago. I know I didn't make it up. But it's definitely a different shade from what I bought yesterday. Fortunately I rummaged around and found more of it in the stash. It's a minor color in the scheme, so I'll have enough. I will probably take the orchid back and exchange it for a color I can use with another variegated I've had for a few years. 

It looks like everyone's been really busy while I've been away cross stitching. Now that I've actually finished an old uninspiring (because old) project and have started some new things, maybe I'll be able to keep both crafts going. The problem is I tend to get so involved in one that the other drops away. I'm going to shoot for a little discipline - cross stitch in the morning before work, crochet after. I'm also starting a lapghan with one of the bargain yarns, so I'll have two sets of colors to play with. 

Hi Donna, I think we all do that. I am a quilter at heart but I can go a few weeks without firing up the sewing machine. I also cross stitch and love to make cards. Just not enough hours in the day. I have a large cross stitch project that has been on the frame for 6 years or so and a smaller one that says "don't make me call my flying monkeys" in the works.

Glad that your yarn situation worked out ok!!

And Linda, yes, my Dad was so frustrated to be in Kansas when everyone else seemed to be engaged in the "real" war. He was single and all of his married friends got sent away. He never did understand that!

Wow, those are pretty but there are quite a few stitches in there that I have never heard of. I'm a little intimidated. I'll have to see if anyone I know has tried them. I only know a few crocheters IRL. I was meeting with a group for a couple of months last fall. I need to find them again. They help you with loads of peer pressure when you want to give up!!

I tucked in the ends of some hats I made while flying to and from my vacation. I hope I can get picture posted tomorrow.

These are two of the hats I made while flying to Ft Lauderdale for the cruise. I made the simple dc one first, then I started the second one with the fpbp dc, but I ran out or yarn! Yikes. I had to finish it when I got home with a new skein of yarn.

post-13802-0-52900000-1404532920_thumb.jpg

These are two of the hats I made while flying to Ft Lauderdale for the cruise. I made the simple dc one first, then I started the second one with the fpbp dc, but I ran out or yarn! Yikes. I had to finish it when I got home with a new skein of yarn.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice hats. 

I only made one hat on the way back from vacation because by then I had the sinus infection and spent most of the time pressing the heel of my hands into my ears and trying not to cry from the pain.

When I bought the yarn, I thought it was a guy color but the closer I looked at it, I felt it was girly after all.

So I made another Tezzie hat...

post-13802-0-61430100-1405053666_thumb.jpg

I got my 5 days off work over the 4th extended to two weeks when like a complete klutz I stepped on some broken glass in the kitchen. But I'm almost past even walking wounded stage now and back at work. However, that gave me lots and lots of play time since my orders were to stay off my foot. Suited me. Sitting is what I do best!

I finished up one lapghan, and got about 2/3 of another done and frogged the whole wretched thing. At the very beginning, the first skein of variegated pooled the really dark color in stripes. My fault, I just wasn't paying much attention and when I spread it out to measure it and looked dreadful. I've restarted that one as a round ripple, since I thought the increasing length of rows might help avoid that.

I'll try to get some pics next sunny day. We're having some rain now and I'm not breathing a word against it!

Donna, I am sorry to hear about your accident. Good thing you didn't hurt your wrist like Linda did. Ouch.

Variegated yarn is so funny. Sometimes it is amazing and other times not-so-much! Can't wait to see some pictures!

Its getting better day by day,and all this dang gardening I have to do must be strengthening it too

some day soon I'll be back to crocheting,having to use a back up hook,my trusty worn one vanished

Well, I'm having a not-so-productive weekend. Thursday night I decided to try a new afghan pattern I saw on another CAL, but had a lot of trouble and got frustrated. So today I thought I would make some fingerless gloves to match one of the hats I made on the Addi. Found the easiest pattern I could and started. But...I used variegated yarn and the join looks funky. Sigh. But I will make one more as I am guessing that a homeless person will not be criticizing my join as much as I am!!

post-13802-0-37761500-1405832309_thumb.jpgpost-13802-0-06020500-1405832337_thumb.jpg

Archived