Boxing Day CAL 2014

babypoohsmom

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bailey - I am glad to hear that your doll items were adored as they should be! It does feel good, doesn't it?

I think earlier this year someone said they got a flat response to some cat mats/beds they has taken to an animal shelter and it made me want to scream! I also remember someone saying that there was a "movement" in their city where people had been leaving a ziplock with a hat and scarf in them at bus stops. I was just thinking about that today and could just see the bomb squad blowing up my "suspicious package" on the 10 o'clock news if I tried that!!

Well. I am glad to hear that you are all on board to get together again next year. The good thing about falling off the charity wagon is that there is always room to climb back on. I do have my "pencil tally" of my totals that I need to update into my signature, but have been too lazy to sit down at the big computer to do it. In the end, we don't need to impress anyone with our totals....we are just here to share and support and make our tiny bit of difference, so don't be down if you don't know your totals for the year. Your heart knows. And the person or baby or bird or cat that got your gift knows!!

I swear I am going to try a star baby afghan in 2015, so you all need to hold me to that one!

Hey Darski and Gardener, most things in life don't turn out the way we plan them. Give yourself credit for what you did get done.

I may sound a bit preachy, but If every adult just did a bit, no matter what it was, crochet a few squares, donating one can of food a week to a food bank, writing one letter a month to someone in a nursing home....geez, the grandness of it all would be staggering.

So no matter what a person can contribute, it should be celebrated. That is why I love this CAL. It reminds me of that.

Hi! I'm back from vacation. That's always something of a bummer, but I can't be very downcast because I have another long one coming up in two weeks.

I'm definitely in again for next year. As for the tally, I keep a list in my pattern notebook; I really bad about keeping up with counting and if I didn't do that it would be a lost cause. And those are big things, like lapghans and baby blankets. If I had cat toys to count, I would just throw up my hands and have to make a random guess. I have never finished a reading challenge. I always read many more books than the target, but the counting overwhelms me. Blankets are easier. I need to update my signature, but I have to look at the list first. I don't have as much this year because I spent the first half of it cross stitching.

While I was off, I finished all three of the earth tone lapghans, even the bazillion tails to weave in. I promised pics, but I don't think it's going to happen. When I was ready to do it, we had dark rainy days, and I don't think I'll get to it the next couple of days. My "courier" who takes them my contact who distributes them is coming Tuesday and I'm sending off the wobble afghan and this lot. I think what I have now will stand as this year's total. If I get any done while I'm off the last part of the month, I'll just throw them into next year's count. They wouldn't be sent out this year anyway.

Meanwhile, I'm about crocheted out, so I've switched to another way to play with my yarn. I found that two of the patterns I've been using need either 28 or 29 yards for a two row stripe. So I'm planning out projects with the remaining One Pound, measuring, rolling it into balls,  bagging it and - voila! - instant lapghan kit. Well, not quite instant, since it takes a couple of hours or maybe somewhat less to make one, but it's worth it. I won't be chewing on my fingernails hoping desperately that I have enough of a color to finish the color sequence I started - I'll know I have just what I need for the project. When I get down to the last bits of yarn, not enough for a planned repeated sequence, I'm rolling it in 30 yard balls and tossing it in a leftovers bin. That will make it much easier to use up the odds and ends, knowing exactly what I have. Best of all, no measuring. When the last ball is done, the lapghan is done. I like that! Also, I will know how many lapghans I will be making from the One Pound, so I can make a better guess about when this marathon will Finally Be Over.

Yesterday and today I bagged three complete kits and started on a fourth just before work. I think I'm going to stick with this until it's done. By then I will be really, really ready to put away the yardstick and get to crochet again.

Hey Darski and Gardener, most things in life don't turn out the way we plan them. Give yourself credit for what you did get done.

I may sound a bit preachy, but If every adult just did a bit, no matter what it was, crochet a few squares, donating one can of food a week to a food bank, writing one letter a month to someone in a nursing home....geez, the grandness of it all would be staggering.

So no matter what a person can contribute, it should be celebrated. That is why I love this CAL. It reminds me of that.

Thanks for reminding us that every little bit helps.

In order to get set up for next year's charity efforts I have started the "Shawl we Crochet? CAL"  to keep me making shawls for my seniors next year.

Just a mention if any one wants a source for good shawl patterns.

My seniors like shawls even more than lapghans so I hope to do more of them.

I'm still just plugging away on bagging the One Pound in lapghan sets. I'm glad I'm taking the time to do this - it's letting me use the yarn as effectively as possible. I'll get that finished sometimes next week, then it's back to the hook! I still have a LOT to do.

Denise,

It will be buried this early, but I have my totals for 2014. This includes one baby blanket that is far enough along that I am certain it will be finished this year. I may get more done over Christmas, but if so I'll count those next year - that's assuming we will do this again next year.

Lapghans: 14

Baby blankets: 11

Meanwhile, I'm still making the lapghan bundles. I finished two more last night and before work today. I have no time on Sunday to work on them, but I should be able to finish them up while I'm off Monday through Wednesday. I've warned my supervisor that Tuesday is going to be such a bear of a day that she can expect me to call in Wednesday. I have to have the car at Honda three hours before I am usually even out of bed, and I was told the job will take All Day. The baby blanket is going with me, my Kindle for a variety of reading, a crossword puzzle magazine, lunch, and I'll probably be checking in because they have computer stations set up that we can use. That's assuming that I can function at all, as sleep deprived as I am going to be - lol.

Wow you all have been busy. I pulled a muscle (or something) in my back last Tuesday and have literally done nothing but work and go to bed. On the weekend I was committed to a TNR project. Hauling around feral cats in heavy traps did not help and on Saturday night I lost feeling in my left hand. I finally feel a bit better today. I haven't even been on the computer.

So thanks for soldiering on!

I am going to go check out the shawl CAL!

Wow you all have been busy. I pulled a muscle (or something) in my back last Tuesday and have literally done nothing but work and go to bed. On the weekend I was committed to a TNR project. Hauling around feral cats in heavy traps did not help and on Saturday night I lost feeling in my left hand. I finally feel a bit better today. I haven't even been on the computer.

I am so sorry you have had to deal with this.  I know how a bad back affects your outlook.  :ghug

I'm so sorry.  With a nasty head cold, sitting and crocheting has been my break between holiday activities.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

I have my first 18 Inch Doll Project completed for 2015.  I decided to use up some Hobby Lobby Christmas yarn that had been gifted to me on a doll project.

American Girl Christmas Celebration

She is adorable. :hug

Just out of curiosity... have you seen many of the early Disney Princesses in your rescue doll searches? 

I'll let you know if I do.  For the most part I have to buy new since they only accept new dolls for donation.  However, when I'm out at various church sales I do look to see what they have for toys to keep the little visitors in my house amused.

Denise - get better soon! I can't even imagine lifting and hauling traps with a back already out of whack.

I just about have the last baby blanket finished that I included in my total a few posts back. I need 4, maybe 5 more rows. Easy peasy.

I finished bagging up the One Pound projects Monday - at last. I was very bored with measuring and rolling yarn. I have 17 lapghan "kits" made up. I'm hoping they work, or I will be wailing salt tears. I know the interior rows are ok, but I guessed on what I needed to add for a solid row at the beginning and end, the starting chain and maybe an extra sc at the end. I have from a bit to 30+ yards of most colors, so I could be short in most cases without it being a shipwreck, so I think I'll be ok. I have enough 30 yard balls left over to make one more but the colors are so random that I probably won't. I think it would be a pretty weird lapghan, and I'll be beyond weary of this project by then. I have a few larksfoot ones, 3 or 4, I think, and the rest are just V stitch. I'll be ready to do some other patterns too.

I'll let you know if I do.  For the most part I have to buy new since they only accept new dolls for donation.  However, when I'm out at various church sales I do look to see what they have for toys to keep the little visitors in my house amused.

oh of course.  never thought of that.  I would appreciate intel on this.  I posted a new pattern for the (15") dolls but if there is no interest then I won't keep going.

. I have enough 30 yard balls left over to make one more but the colors are so random that I probably won't. I think it would be a pretty weird lapghan, and I'll be beyond weary of this project by then. I have a few larksfoot ones, 3 or 4, I think, and the rest are just V stitch. I'll be ready to do some other patterns too.

I was just talking about the magic ball ghans where you just tie one end of a ball to the next and leave the tails dangling (short ones) and just crochet from the new "strand"  I bet it would be nice if you did the afghan that is just rows of sc/ch4, sc in next sc.  I'll see if I can find the pattern.the scrappy nature of the thing gives it the interest.

Found it

Lacy chains blanket

Leave the tails dangling? Don't weave them in? I could never, ever stand to do that.  :eek  I've seen that pattern though, or something like it, and it looks like an interesting texture. It would be good on a bed or for someone disciplined enough to wear socks, but I'm always barefooted, and my toes would poke through all those holes  :lol

I like the bright colors in the model.

Leave the tails dangling? Don't weave them in? I could never, ever stand to do that.  :eek  I've seen that pattern though, or something like it, and it looks like an interesting texture. It would be good on a bed or for someone disciplined enough to wear socks, but I'm always barefooted, and my toes would poke through all those holes  :lol

I like the bright colors in the model.

I have promised myself I would try that technique.  I know what you mean about the tails but I think if it happened often enough it would be a "feature and not a bug"  :rofl

I also agree about the holes.  I just did a test drive with a ch3/sc and I think I could do that... I just went back and tried the ch4 and it is amazing how much difference it makes.  I would do the ch3 when I try that technique. I think it would be a good blankie and mindless crochet at that.  I think it needs a variegated yarn for best effect though.

Archived