Boxing Day CAL 2014

babypoohsmom

Hello, so yesterday was 50% off day at Goodwill so I had to run in and look, right? I found two spools of that thin yarn still in the original packaging in black and dark blue. What are the odds? Anyway, now I am looking forward to trying yellow/black (like a bee or the Pittsburg Steelers) and the dark and light blue together on the Addi for hats.

Here are the little cat toys I made:

post-13802-0-45710500-1413776547_thumb.jpg

And the two Addi hats I did last week:

post-13802-0-91739100-1413776569_thumb.jpg

I have another green/yellow one on the machine. I'm going to go take it off. See you later.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another slacker here....

Our first grand daughter was born a week ago, (we already has 5 grandsons), so my crafting focus has switched to making cute little girl things. I've made shoes and a hat, and I'm working on a dress. That's all I'm making for now though. She already has more clothes than I do.

I'm still way behind on my one item a month goal, but I've still got time! 2 1/2 months left in the year still!

haven't made any hats lately,well since this was to be a joint effort and no move is being made by the other hat maker

I've decided to concentrate on making the bird nest for the wildlife rescue,once theNor'easters start coming and animals are being tossed out of their surroundings,they will come in handy

I made those nests too, they were fun, and is helpful too, to either send paper towles to line the nests with, or include a roll, that's what I did, and I can't remember the place, some wildlife rescue and rehab on the east coast, maybe the same one you are going to help!! Small world huh LInda! You go to town lady!!!

oh found my notes for the birds nests, it WAS this one.

Virgina Beach SPCA Wildlife Program

Attn: Wildlife

3040 Holland Road

Virginia Beach, VA 23453

yes Katie,the very same one I donate to

when I have a bunch made,we take a ride and drop them off,its about 45 mins from us

No pics as promised.  :no I was just too tired to do it before I came in to work today. Yes, before I came to work. That does not bode well for my work week that starts on Wednesday.  :lol However, I'm probably going to send some off next Tuesday, so I'll get pics by then for sure.

I finished the striped lapghan. I don't like it, but maybe someone will. It also ended up larger than I planned. C'est la vie. I also finished the baby blanket, so that's two more down. I'm a couple of rows from completing another baby round ripple. I'm loving these smaller projects. I'm holding them at 36-37". I can do two more with some off brand yarns, then I'll start in on the pastel ILTY that I have.

I've also got a good start on another lapghan. I'm doing this one in solid V stitch, so it's flying along a good clip. That feels great, but it slows down the destashing progress. I'm focusing on browns and earth tone greens for now, and will have enough for another one or two of those at least. 

Denise - that was a lucky find at Good Will!

Thanks for sharing your picture Katie. Very cute with the fake birds!

Linda, was it your daughter that used to do hats with you? I seem to remember that.

I have a green/yellow hat and a black/yellow hat done. I will take pictures as soon as I get them washed. I also made another cat toy tonight.

And Donna, wow, you are on a roll. Your hook must be on fire!! I can't wait to see the pictures.

Gardener - congrats on the new granddaughter!

I finally got the pictures. I don't know if I can post them all in one go. If not, I'll make two posts. 

There are 6 baby blankets, five of them round ripples and the green/white stripe, and two adult lapghans. 

I also took a pic of the yarn designated for the huge destashing push - all the ILTY, in the left cabinet, and the One Pound, in the right cabinet - but not the new skeins in the left cabinet - that's overflow RH. I have a LOT to go. So stay tuned for more projects and more pics.

post-39480-0-91318100-1414102842_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-51071100-1414102853_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-37759900-1414102866_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-34984900-1414102885_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-30689000-1414102902_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-10941300-1414102925_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-10414400-1414103126_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-63747900-1414103138_thumb.jpg

post-39480-0-25326100-1414103189_thumb.jpg

Wow Donna, such nice work. I can't even pick a favorite. They are all great. You sometimes comment on color combinations that you don't like but I can't find a single one that is hard on the eye. You are really doing great work and destashing! Keep it up!

I feel like an absolute slaker just sitting around making Addi hats!!

I think my destashing secret is that destashing is ever so much more fun than housework. Sadly, my apartment usually shows where my priorities lie.  :lol  It also helps to have a job with almost no actual work and permission to crochet.

Today I sorted out the One Pound earth tones, more or less, to focus on using up.  I have enough of the tropical delight - the bright variegated - to make another baby blanket, so I have that at work tonight. I'm going to pick up the purple instead of the blue. I also have just enough of the RH baby print to make the center medallion. I don't know how that will look, but I'm going to try it.

Hi everyone. So I promised pictures but i have had a complicated few days. My kitten family started out with calici. When I was taking temps with an ear thermometer, I noticed dirty ears which turned out to be mites and then, Friday morning one of the little ones blossomed with ringworm. It had been going around the shelter which is why they wanted these guys out, but I guess they were incubating it anyway.

So we have spent the weekend cleaning everything and washing everything with bleach.

Ringworm is a lot like a dry dandelion. The little spores can blow around the house. So I am looking forward to going back to work tomorrow so I can relax!!

Crochet was not to be seen anywhere at my house this weekend. Sigh.

Well I decided to take a picture of my last two hats even if they are not washed. They won't look any different to you when they are clean. I used the last of my green yarn and then finished with two strands of yellow, but they are not exactly the same color so that one looks kind of odd.

post-13802-0-74911400-1414733306_thumb.jpg

finished the V st lapghan a few days ago except for weaving the ends, and started to fold it up and -- it was a total, absolute train wreck. One end was about 3" wider than the other. Three inches! After a lot of examination it seems I inadvertently dropped from a J to an I hook about 12" into it, and then, about 12" from the end, dropped a V-stitch, not an easy thing to do, and lost about another 3/4". There are no words for how disgusted I was. I've put it aside and I'm working on another. I'll have to frog the whole wretched thing and reuse all the yarn I was so happy to have used up.

I know how I make the hook mistake. On a pattern that open, I would normally not use a J, but in a moment of madness I did. Then after I put it aside a couple of days and went back to it, I thought, V-st- that's an I hook pattern, and carried on. Missing the V st later on is almost incomprehensible. What I did was put the V between two V stitches on the row below, rather than one in each. I have to say in half a century of crochet, I don't remember ever doing that before, certainly not having done it and then not noticed when I came back across. Does health insurance cover brain transplants? I clearly need one.

I couldn't even face frogging it then. It's lying in a crumpled heap of ignominy across the room. I've got another one in a wave pattern just over half finished, and I'm starting a red and white V stitch at work. I don't even have a J hook at work, so I'm safe there. As for the results of looming general idiocy, I'll just have to hope for the best.  :lol 

@ Donna,  I am so sorry this happened to you.  we have all done this (or similar) so we understand just how it feels. :ghug

That's why we have Crochetville  :heart ... to help and support each other.

I have been having trouble crocheting because my arm muscles are so sore.  I think it is the tension of this lockdown but I do a bit at a time and eventually get there.

I have a couple of things to show you. 

This is another 10pt RR with my fave black/white/red combination.

post-4896-0-00387800-1414966162_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-76796900-1414966163_thumb.jpg

this other is an interesting bit.  Way back when, Walmart had a special sale in Canada : 6 skeins of RH pounders for $39.99.  that was a great price but it only came in black, white and beige.  I bought 3 of the six packs.  Then I wanted to showcase this special bit, and for reasons not known to any human mind, I chose this pattern.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kiss-fist  I did not get it from *that place* but that is the search result.

It used to be a free pattern and I got a tutorial version.  It is supposed to be 12 inches but I decided to just make a giant version.  well, it will be warm for a lapghan if I ever finish it.

post-4896-0-46157100-1414966118_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-19647500-1414966120_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-03849300-1414966122_thumb.jpg

It is not a real showcase for the pattern but at times it looks quite nice.

Gardener - congrats on the new granddaughter!

I finally got the pictures. I don't know if I can post them all in one go. If not, I'll make two posts. 

There are 6 baby blankets, five of them round ripples and the green/white stripe, and two adult lapghans. 

I also took a pic of the yarn designated for the huge destashing push - all the ILTY, in the left cabinet, and the One Pound, in the right cabinet - but not the new skeins in the left cabinet - that's overflow RH. I have a LOT to go. So stay tuned for more projects and more pics.

Oh my, talk about gorgeous blankets! You've been busy! Looks like you still have some destashing to go too.

Babypoohsmom, sorry about the kitty fiasco. I think your green and yellow hat looks fine. I've found that tastes are so different that pretty much anything you make will be appreciated by someone. Your hats look soft, warm and comfortable to me.

Donna, anything to do with crafting beats housework. I've also been working on destashing, but I'm trying to unload all the little golf balls of yarn leftover from other projects. I'm turning them into a randomly striped granny ripple, but the randomness of it is a little trying to my organized brain. It's beginning to grow on me though.

I'm also sorry about the v-stitch throw. I've had similar occurrences, so now I always write down what size hook I'm using. I have also learned to count stitches every ten rows or so.

Darski. That is a great looking round ripple. The colors are good together.

I also like black, white and beige as a classy color combination.. I looked up that square pattern. It looks like a lot of work. Yours looks good.

I'm still knitting a baby blanket. I work on it a bit nearly every day, but I am a very slow knitter.

Donna, i am so glad I am not the only one who has picked up the wrong hook. I did it on a hat and it was an odd outcome, but kind of floppy on top and snug on the bottom, so I called it "slouchy" and put it in with the donations. I really can't bear to frog. I see time slip away with each stitch. It can be very annoying, depressing, etc...

Darski, you have been quiet for too long, so I wondered what you have been up to. Sorry to hear that you have been having pain. That stinks.

Usually the day after Thanksgiving, Walmart has some RH pounders on sale. Last year I think it was $4.88 per skein. I don't go out in the crowds anymore, so by the time I wandered in at noonish, I got a red, white, blue and beige. I do wonder what other colors they had to start the day though.

Archived