scrap yarn

I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions of what to make w/ what I call odds & ends of yarn. I am currently working on a corner to corner blanket & I am planning on making quite a few of them. But when I get I get tired of making this type of blanket what should I start making next? Any ideas are very welcome!

the old standby granny square is a classic for a reason!  In my opinion there is nothing prettier than a well-done granny square afghan.  and it is the perfectway to use up scraps.

corner to corner patterns can be good for scraps too.  

the old standby granny square is a classic for a reason!  In my opinion there is nothing prettier than a well-done granny square afghan.  and it is the perfectway to use up scraps.

Thank you so for this suggestion I will keep this in mind!

I agree with the other posters, granny squares are so versatile for afghans but you can also make scarves with them. I do that using my scraps also. And I also use them for appliques, currently I am making little flowers and football and sports appliques to add to those stretchy knit caps I bought at Walmart last year for 25 cents. They are going to a charity project so I wanted to kick them up a notch for the little kids.

LI Roe

appliques are a great idea.  there is an afhgan posted today with creatures on it that is so cute!  http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/149243-lizards-turtles-and-dragonflies-afghan-for-grandon/

and accessories made out of grannies, so cute!  

I keep a special plastic bag just for small amounts of yarn that I don't know what to do with.

I really didn't know what to do with these small balls and bits, then one day I looked at all the beautiful colors and said "flowers, of course!" Even the smallest piece can make a flower center or French knot, so this became my flower making bag. All small amounts go in the bag, and when I'm in the mood, I sit down and make flowers. I keep the made flowers in the bag too.

Most of the time I sew the flowers on totes or purses I make, but I have also used some as table decorations.

I vote for all of the above ideas!! personally, i am currently working on small balls of odds and ends, and doing ,,,wait for it,

GraNNY Squares of all sizes and colors, lol Im doing well, making great progress, and enjoying the work too!!!! Here's a few that i did the other day...post-40621-0-81085300-1385423600_thumb.jpg

My family has a tradition. We save all small amounts of yarn and make "Around the world grannyghans".

You can make them any size you want. Just keep adding colors until it reaches a size that is needed.

They a very colorful and brighten up any space.

My very favorite pattern is the Stitch Sampler Afghan by Jean Holzman. If you have either one of the books the pattern is in, you may be surprised with the versatility of color schemes. I have made it in blues/white, reds/white, purples, and lastly greys/black and white. My next one will be multi color. Ravelry has a page listing the 2 books the pattern is in and many examples of eye candy.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was tired of throwing away all those scraps so I started saving them and I have been making rectangular granny afghans with them.   When I have a lot of scraps collected, I start my rectangular afghan and as I collect another bunch, I keep adding them on and keep going around until it's the size I want. Then I use a solid color and make a scalloped edge on them.  I work over the ends as I go along so I don't have to weave hundreds of ends in.  Also I just found out how to make to make knots using the double knot method which could work for this project.

Archived