LABOR DAY WEEKEND QUESTION 1: How did you learn to crochet?

Amy

We're having some fun over on the Crochetville Facebook page with a variety of questions for Labor Day weekend. Since I know some people here don't do Facebook, I thought I'd make sure the fun takes place here as well.

Feel free to answer here, even if you've answered on the Facebook page, as some people may only see the posts here.

LABOR DAY WEEKEND QUESTION 1: How did you learn to crochet?

I remember how I learned to crochet... Around 196something, I was trying to make a hobo type bag and trying to figure out the stitches from that little green "how to" book that gave the basics of knitting and crochet. I was in way over my head so I phoned my old 4-H leader and she spent a few hours explaining, as I poked and wrapped and skipped and chained and made it across a few rows. Here and there my Mom would get on the phone and relay the conversation so I could work with 2 hands.

The bag I was making called for two shades of green yarn, held together, Back then yarn was something like 88cents a skein but I got a deal on Aunt Lydia's yarn when I went shopping, 3 skeins for a dollar, As Mrs N was so patiently trying to help me over the phone, I was struggling with my hook and these 2 strands of yarn. Eventually she figured out the problem, I had bought Rug Yarn  instead of worsted... hey, it was way cheaper and it fit my teenager's budget better than that 88cent stuff.

Of course I ran out of yarn pretty quick and had an awful time trying to work those 2 fat strands with my hook, but I finished that bag eventually. It came out huge. I think I could have used it for a suitcase.... for the whole family.

I still remember that phone call, I was sitting on the floor in our pantry, phone wedged up under my neck as she so patiently explained each stitch to me. I would read her the pattern, which made no sense with all those jubberish abbreviations, and she'd translate it and then guide me along the rows.

Gee, I miss her....

My Mom tried to teach me as a kid, but I just could not grasp it and was more comfortable with knitting.  I finally picked up the hooks, as an adult, and have not put them down since.

My mom taught us the basics the rest I learned by nyself from the vintage booklets. I remember making pillowcase edgings and hotpads for the church fairs in the late 40's.

I taught myself using books my Aunt got in the mail, it showed the basics. Then my Aunt showed me how to do the ripple stitch. If I had any questions, I asked her. :)

My mother-in-law tried to teach me, but I couldn't make head or tails of what she was trying to tell me.  I bought a "Teach Yourself to Crochet" book and taught myself.  She could not read patterns and that was probably our problem.

When I was little, my Mema would crochet the most beautiful blankets! I tried to learn but I gave up. Two months ago I picked up a book teaching me the basic stitches. I wasn't great at patterns yetas they were very intimidating! I turned to YouTube and as I followed along I became much more confident. I can read patterns and make really cool stuff.

The other day my Mema came by and I couldn't wait to show her everything I made so far. She was in awe and couldn't understand howi was able to.make things she could never dream to make. I told her about YouTube and the ville And she just couldn't believe it! She said that her crocheting was so.limited because if there was a pattern she didn't know how to.make then she was stuck! It made me realize that the internet really has given us a huge advantage to learning new skills and the sky is the limit nowadays!

Archived