Greetings from Grand Rapids, MI

HeartofTims

I was actually seeking a tutorial site when I came across the forums. This is great! Going to post a little about myself and my crocheting and I hope I don't bore anyone.

I started crocheting when I was 8 years old (turning 30 this month). Well not really crocheting. My mom loved to crochet and of course I was curious. I learned how to chain, but that was it. I simply did not have the patience then to learn how. And I think my mom didn't have the patience to teach lol.

When I was about 21 years old, I was incredibly bored, and was searching for something new to try. A friend of mine was crocheting a baby blanket and I said hey, could you teach me that? I think I can remember how to chain.

With-in a matter of an hour or so, she had me chaining, sc and dc'ing like a pro. I loved it! I didn't have the money at the time to invest in hooks, yarn ect so I didn't get to start really crocheting until about a year later.

I went to work for a company where my mother was also working. An answering service for Doctors and other companies. So all I did was sit at a computer with headphones on and answer calls. My mother was crocheting like mad, so I said to mom, hey my friend taught me a little, could I borrow some stuff from you?

She gave me a few hooks and some spare yarn and a baby blanket book. My friend was a free crochet'er so my mom started teaching me how to read patterns. She also, to get me started on an actual project, taught me a little pattern for making towel holders. This was my first project and I finished it in a couple of hours. It was a blast! I loved it.

I made a few more towel holders to get the hang of actually making something, then I started on a blanket. To make this part of the story short, stuff happened, the company was bought by another, I didn't go to work for them and I wound up not finishing the blanket.

Fast forward a couple of years later. I've got my third baby on the way (I've got 4 children now, and we're done! LOL). My new mom-in-law also crochet's beautifully. I decided to get back into it and wanted to crochet my first completed blanket for my coming baby.

I had a little problems with the start of this blanket, but my mother-in-law is an amazing teacher and helped out a lot!! She was very impressed with how well I could crochet even though I had only made a few towel holders and 1/4 of a blanket LOL.

I did finish this blanket on my own, but was depressed about it, as I figured out I was crocheting way toooo tight and the blanket wound up about half the size it should have been :eek It was still beautiful (a heritage type blankie) and perfect size for newborn to about 3-4 months and I still used it for my new little boy.

After that I tried again, moving 2 crochet hook sizes up from the pattern recommendation. This blanket turned out beautiful and perfect! I was so happy. Then I tried baby booties. The free pattern I found was great for the soul of the bootie but after that made no sense at all. I played around with it and wound up creating a beautiful bootie. My mother in law thought they were so pretty she wanted me to try to sell them, but thats just not my thing.

From there I tried a hat and a baby jacket and pant set.

Life got hectic for a few years. Had another baby, who is now 2 years old. My husband was diagnosed with cancer... So again I stopped crocheting.

I'm getting into it again... as fall is here (I'm in Michigan) and winter approaching, I just got the crochet itch.

I'm trying my first afghan pattern. I made a mistake in like row 3 and had to undo 2 rows, but after that I've had no problems. I've done about 25 rows. In fact planning on later today going and watching Anne of Green Gables and doing about 3 hours of crocheting while watching LOL.

Ok if you've read all of this, thanks! If not I understand, it was long...

I DO need some help but will try to figure out the correct forum for that.

Melanie

Melanie: :flower Wellcome to Crochetville!! I also have kids and I'm proud of my projects I have done for them. Here you will find tons of ideas and nice people who will help you with your questions.

Regards,

Irene

Welcome Melanie from another Michiganer!

Hey, don't feel bad about having to rip your work apart...until some very helpful ladies got me straight on my first afghan I spent days working five rows of DC Shells in each sticth, read the directions wrong and had to tear the whole thing out to the beginning....oh well.....guess that's how we learn haha!

Welcome aboard, your family sounds lovely and I hope your husband is doing well! :)

Robin from MI

Hi Melanie and welcome from northern CA! :waving This is a great place to get great ideas for projects and to show off what you've done! Enjoy!:)

Welcome to the forum, Melanie! :hi I'm also in Michigan, but way up in the U.P. I know what you mean about winter coming -- long, dark, cold evenings -- perfect time to crochet cuddled up under your project. :wgrin

Archived