A dishrag for every holiday for Christmas gift

I have been trying to think of something regarding the dishrags and gifts, I think I will try to find patterns for our main holidays /celebrations and give a set to each of my family members as a gift. Do you think that would be a good gift? Also I would love to add to it at least 1...well no idea what it is called exactly, but like a towel that hangs on the oven door and folds over at top with velcro or button. Can't find a pattern because I dont know what it is called, but my Aunt made me 1 about 38 years and 1 marriage ago, and I loved it...not the marriage but the oven thingy. I try to do bigger type, I have vision problems and others may also.

Ohhh, I like that idea. I too had several of those towels that would button on your oven door or cabinet handles. My sister made them for me. Unfortunately she passed away in 1992. I think they are called towel toppers. I know you can take a kitchen hand towel and cut it in half.Then you can either use your crochet hook to make holes along the cut edge or a regular hole puncher. Next you just start crocheting. That is just a rough idea how to make them. You might do a web search for towel toppers. Or you might check the patterns here on Crochetville.

Do you think that would be a good gift?
Good idea. Just know your giftees.

Lots of people love them. Lots of people don't like them. Make sure you know your people so your feelings don't get hurt.

a towel that hangs on the oven door and folds over at top withvelcro or button.
Towel Topper:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#sort=best&craft=crochet&query=towel

Towel rings are another idea, one I prefer.

Here are a few patterns:

http://lemonlaneblog.wordpress.com/pattern-place/basic-towel-ring/

http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2009/01/crocheted-towel-holder-pattern.html

http://reflectingthebrightness.blogspot.com/2012/08/crochet-your-own-dish-towel-ring-knob.html

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/buttonless-towel-topper-ring

:)

You have to know the people you are gifting too to make sure your items are loved.

I love holiday dishclothes. I don't have nearly enough time to make them, but they are always welcome as gifts. I've gotten some adorable holiday themed potholders as well. There is something fun about being able to decorate year round.

Me personally, I would LOVE dishcloths as a gift!!! especially hand made ones! :manyheart

but I know some people that dont like that sort of thing, :(

I have actually offered to make them afghans (for free) and they turn me down! (can you believe that!!!) :eek

Oh and I like the big letters! makes this easier to read :)

Me personally, I would LOVE dishcloths as a gift!!! especially hand made ones! :manyheart

but I know some people that dont like that sort of thing, :(

I have actually offered to make them afghans (for free) and they turn me down! (can you believe that!!!) :eek

I'd rather know than put all the time and yarn into making them and never have them used. I am slowly moving my Mom away from projects that the grandkids never like (sweaters) to the ones they do appreciate. Their parents never say anything so Mom wastes hours of time and money for the patterns and yarn and the clothes never get worn. Now they talk about the cool stuff grandma sends when she makes doll's clothes, afghans, ornaments, and toys. This Christmas she reverted back and sent sweaters and was surprised when the kids just weren't as excited as they were when she sent knitted toys. A knitted sweater just doesn't compete with a knitted dino.:lol:lol

Geeee.. so nice that everyone is thinking the same thing.

I, too, wanted to make a set of tea towels with dish clothes for each holiday of the year.

I couldn't find any tea towels in dec for christmas, so I have to wait another year for them. LOL

I have to go to Wal-mart later this week to see if they have gotten any Valentine's tea towels in yet. If they do, need to grab about 15 of them. LOL

I saw a towel ring made that was a double ring, made with plastic rings that were crocheted around, but the rings connected so you had to slide the hand towel between the 2 rings somehow and it held the towel more secure than just the single ring. Of course I don't know where I saw it :D

I thnk this is a gread idea. I make dishrags for my Mom who loves them and uses them. I never made them for anyone else cause I didn't think anyone would use them. However, at Christmas my Niece saw my Mom using one and asked why she's never gotten any. I never thought she'd be interested so now she'll get some too. I'm glad she spoke up.

I too love the idea, but like others have said, make sure to know your recipients. I don't know anyone anymore that uses a dishrag. Everyone uses sponges. My oldest daughter did ask me recently to make her a set of potholders in holiday themes, so that's what she will get for each of the giftable holidays this year. :)

I too love the idea, but like others have said, make sure to know your recipients. I don't know anyone anymore that uses a dishrag. Everyone uses sponges. My oldest daughter did ask me recently to make her a set of potholders in holiday themes, so that's what she will get for each of the giftable holidays this year. :)

With anything you buy or make if you want the gift to be appreciated you have to take the time to find out what the person likes or you are likely to be disappointed if they don't like/use what you make/buy.

I don't like sponges. I had been cleaning a good deal with paper towels before I discovered dishcloths. I never used the cotton dishclothes until my niece knitted me some for Christmas several years ago. I liked the way they cleaned. I also like the fact they clean up and sanitize better than sponges. Now I keep a supply of crocheted and knitted ones on hand. They are one of the only things I can knit.:lol

I also like the colors and designs. It does brighten up the kitchen. I have received some beautiful potholders as well. Those make great practical holiday decorative/useful items.

:eekEek! I guess we (hubby does dishes also) are old fashioned because we use dishcloths when we do dishes. We don't have a dishwasher and in the 24 years we have been married have never had a dishwasher. I do use sponges for some cleaning but not to wash dishes with.

I have never had a dishwasher, either. I don't like the store bought dishcloths, they just don't last like the crocheted ones I make. I'm not really a fan of sponges either. I use the crocheted dishcloths for dishes and for spills and then they go right into the laundry room for washing.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like this idea!  Including a dishcloth for each holiday would make a nice, full package of dishcloths!

I had been toying with the idea of giving a set of crocheted dish/facecloths this past Christmas and didn't end up doing it.  I had originally thought that a set of three in coordinating colors would be nice, folded creatively and tied with a ribbon or raffia or something crafty, I had it pictured in my head and it looked adorable.  Until I actually made a set of three and discovered that, at least to me, it just didn't look like anything much.  No matter how hard I tried it still looked like I was giving someone three large non-granny squares.  Yet whenever I see dish/facecloths that others have made, even if they are individual, I LOVE THEM!  What's wrong with me?  LOL!

Archived