63 Wannabe Club

JulieKay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimmie-

You are doing great -- FULL SPEED AHEAD !!!

Sue -

You're keeping at it steadily -- I know some days are harder than others to find time to crochet-- our weather here this week is LOUSY ,so it'll be a good week to stay in and get some crocheting accomplished . Halfway there is a great feeling, isn't it ? You actually have hope that it will get done now !

And Celeste-

Yes, this is me. I never go by the whole name JulieKay- I just used that on here since there ia at least one other Julie, maybe more, that way we didn't get mixed up as to who is who !

The afghan you showed me is somewhat like the pattern I have, only I like mine better -- it is more sturdy-looking. I'm not sure how else to describe it .. Let me see if I have a photo of the one I made for my daughter in law and I'll post it . If not, I'll try to get some time today to whip up one of the squares so you can see what a finished one looks like .

Great progress on the squares --- good for you !!!

Oooh! That is sooo pretty! Nice job, Julie! :tup After this morning's activities, I'm itching to sit down and work on squares! #33 here I come! :)

Wow, Celetse! You made great progress over the weekend! Nice job! :tup

I hope to hear about everyone's progress this week! These posts sure are fun! Keep up the good work everyone! ;)

Just wanted to check in with you wonderful ladies and let you all know I have moved into the new house. We are trying to settle in. My hubby is gone for 5 weeks working in Canada so the house doesn't feel like a home just yet, we need him here to truly appreciate the new house. He got to help move us all in and then was on the road the very next morning. How is that for timing? lol. My mom even visited from FLorida ( a trip that was planned earlier this year ) and she too was able to experience the new place for a week before my hubby was even able to enjoy it here!! LOL It was neat because she hasn't even been here and to be able to see our new place was a bonus! Oh and the BEST part of my momther's visit...... she picked up crocheting (the right way) !!! There was an elderly woman back in Viet Nam that taught her and it was one stitch (dc) and she never learned how to read patterns, or to turn properly so when she made a afghan, it never came out square/rectangle, it was always lopsided. She learned the granny square and was amazed that it turned out SQUARE! lolol Yep , I am pretty proud that I was able to teach my mom something! I am still on #8 and hope to start advancing along here inbetween unpacking. Have a great day! Happy Crocheting!

Glad to hear that things are going well in your new home, Vicki! That's so great that you were able to teach your mom how to do granny squares; what a nice memory to have of your new place! Keep going on those squares -- you're almost 1/6 of the way there ;) Finding time is half the battle!

Sue, thanks for the support! I hope you have lots of time to crochet today :) We're almost there. . . .

Julie, I like your afghan better! I'm psyched to try that one myself. . . after our next 63 squares, of course! :manyheart

Great to hear you're moved into your new place, Vickie. Good luck with all that unpacking! Soon your hubby will be back to make the place feel like a home. :)

I'll try and catch up with you this week, Celeste, but I don't know. Seems like you can make 4 squares to my one! ;)

Good job, Tonya --

You're just rolling right along . See you guys, we can get this thing done if we set our mind to it !

:knit

Keep up the good work. I am waiting for someone to join me on book 2 !

i havent seen book two....does it have to be ordered?

Ok ok Ill hunt down the yarn and the few squares I have done in my yarn closet and after I bake a cake I may just start the next square. ;)

As for book 2 at this point I have to say NO WAY :lol But I wish you tons of luck.

PS I have nine squares done.

HI ladies!!! I know I have been MIA from here :) I have been around posting elsewhere on the forum and even managed to start testing Celeste's hat pattern... I just took a short break from them squares!!! I have finished upto Square #26!

hubby tried a new cable for linking up the camera but that doesn't work too:( So he has promised me another and better camera but I have to be patient lol! I replied yeah yeah I will be patient and all that but please hurry lol!!!

In the mean time I find that I can't find the same yarn here in Bangalore(the city I moved to in April) I am sitting here wondering what I should do if and when i run out of yarn!! I have asked another Indian on the about forum who also happens to be in the same city to get in touch with me.. Hopefully she will know better!

So there is my story:) its been raining cats and dogs here and I want to cuddle up and crochet so ciao and talk to you all soon!

Hugs

Vims

Won't is be great, Kolkri, to have the group motivate you to pick up this project again? ;) We'd love to have you join us!

Great to hear from you again, Vims! :waving Can you order yarn via the internet? Do companies like Herrschners have shipping restrictions? What about eBay?

Celeste, point me in the direction of your hat pattern & pic! I'd love to see your creation! :)

I finished squares 33 and 34 last night. Yeah! I've got a busy day today but hope to get at least one square done by the time Amazing Race comes on! :juggle

Ok here I go. I had tried square number 8, Chevron Relief Stitch, over and over. It keeps coming out shaped like this. > Well not that extream but almost. Any ideas or hints on how to make this one square?:angry

i dont have all of the squares done for the first one!...but im getting the book anyway...im not really in this cal, but i am following and admiring, and picking up tips....and if a new cal starts for the next book, i'll follow that as well!

btw...checked out your blog, and your squares look wonderful!

Awww, come on Angie-- you can do it . Get those squares done then you'll be really on a roll and ready to tackle number 2 ! I know what you mean about the Chevron relief -- I tried it several times and each one it seemed to end up lopsided . The last time I did it , it turned out better though . Keep on trying -- if you can crochet the stitches a little looser, that might help it from bunching up on you . Or do any of you out there know much about blocking a square ? I have never done it, but that may work too .

Boy, Vims, it sounds like you have the patience of a saint ! First the camera, then the lack of yarn -- doggone - I'd be a raving lunatic by now ....( I probably am anyhow !) :eek

I wish you luck in finding the rest of the yarn you need and also in getting your old camera working or a new one bought ! You are doing great -- number 26 ~~~WAY TO GO !!!!

Sue and Celeste-- keep up the good work- you're both doing great !

Ok the chevon one was sorta cockeyed for me also but in the front of the book it says something about pins you put your piece on a piece of cardboard pin it sq. down a spritz with water. Hunh???? I had no luck with that either :( So I am hoping it will go sq when I stitch it in the blanket. Anyone else???

Mine was also sort of "sideways" Jimmie Lu. I am also hoping it will straighten out. I frogged this one like 6 times because it just didnt look right. I guess its supposed to be that way though. I got tired of it and just let it ride the last time.

I dont care for square #10. I dont know why, I just dont.

Hoping to start 11 & 12 tonight.

Nic

i dont have all of the squares done for the first one!...but im getting the book anyway...im not really in this cal, but i am following and admiring, and picking up tips....and if a new cal starts for the next book, i'll follow that as well!

btw...checked out your blog, and your squares look wonderful!

We'd love to have you join in whenever you can. The more the merrier! :)

Also, thanks so much...I just posted 30-35! I may have to ask santa for a new camera this year. The stitches are hard to see. :(

Angie, I had to do the chevron relief a few times to get it right too. It seemed like the stitches weren't lining up like they were supposed to. I really had to study to picture to get it right. :irk

I think the square will flatten itself out when the squares get sewn together. I'm not sure blocking is effective with acrylic yarn, if that's what you're using (I am). Blocking probably works better with cotton or wool. I've only tried blocking with acrylic and it didn't work. I've not tried it with natural fibers but it seems like it would work on those. :)

I finished #50 last night ( I'm coming Julie, hang in there!), and hope to do at least one more tonight and maybe a few tomorrow on my day off. I can't wait to be done, so I can get going with the next one (and all the other projects I've planned as gifts. . . eek!)

Sue, let me know your email and I'll get you the pattern!

Hi, I made this afghan a long time ago with K-Marts Color Match yarn. What bothered me most about the pattern was that the squares were different sizes, espcially the ones worked in the round. I found I had to use many different hooks. I think I used from a G to a K. But it is a good way to hone your skills and tear your hair out at the same time!

The afghan I like of this genre is the Granny Square Sampler by LA.

It works up fast, the 35 squares are simple but interesting and it's a quick gift for the bride's shower.It looks nice in 2 monochromatic colors, like off-white and beige.

PaganBaby69

Archived