Acrylic yarn - why the bad rap?

Je-Rel Drood

I don't know any other crocheters in my area, but the few knitters that I knew had this thing against acrylic yarn. It didn't matter what the weight, but they felt that it was an inferior quality of yarn and wouldn't touch it.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on yarn, and I like what I've used so far. I'm new to the whole fiber arts scene beyond my local Michael's, is there a problem with yarn or were they just being fiber snobs?

IMHO, there are a lot of yarn snobs among knitters and I've known som. On the other hand, acrylic yarn is made from petroleum, wich is a non renewable resource. That said, I prefer synthetic yarn because it's easy to care for and requires no blocking. Plus, crocheting for me is more about the process and the textures created by the stitches than than the materials used. And, because I make so many afghans, I use a lot of yarn, and synthetic is cheaper.

There's a big difference between knitters and crocheters. Jean Lienhauser did a wonderful article on it but I have no idea where the bookmark went on it.

Anyways - to paraphrase - in general - knitters make more wearables, crocheters make more things like afghans and toys.

The truth of the matter is - it doesn't matter what other people think. If you're happy with it and working with it - that's all that counts.

Me personally - I LOVE soft acrylic yarn. You should see my stash of Caron Pounders. They wash up wonderfully, wear great and last. I mean - how much better does it get for one of the cheaper yarns?!?

I think Red Heart Super Saver is AWESOME for kids blankets. The colors are vibrant and it wears like iron. It holds up to the abuse and the washing.

Do you want to make a lacy pull-over sweater out of it? Probably not.

It's really easy for a handmade sweater to cost $200 plus depending on the specialty yarn that you use. Are you going to make a bunch and give them away? I doubt it.

It's really easy (when shopping sales) to make a full size afghan for less than $20.

There's nothing wrong with acrylic yarns. It depends on what you're making and how it'll be used.

There's a big difference between knitters and crocheters. Jean Lienhauser did a wonderful article on it but I have no idea where the bookmark went on it.

Anyways - to paraphrase - in general - knitters make more wearables, crocheters make more things like afghans and toys.

The truth of the matter is - it doesn't matter what other people think. If you're happy with it and working with it - that's all that counts.

Me personally - I LOVE soft acrylic yarn. You should see my stash of Caron Pounders. They wash up wonderfully, wear great and last. I mean - how much better does it get for one of the cheaper yarns?!?

I think Red Heart Super Saver is AWESOME for kids blankets. The colors are vibrant and it wears like iron. It holds up to the abuse and the washing.

Do you want to make a lacy pull-over sweater out of it? Probably not.

It's really easy for a handmade sweater to cost $200 plus depending on the specialty yarn that you use. Are you going to make a bunch and give them away? I doubt it.

It's really easy (when shopping sales) to make a full size afghan for less than $20.

There's nothing wrong with acrylic yarns. It depends on what you're making and how it'll be used.

hmm... I think she maybe right. I can only speak for myself, but I don't make a lot of wearable items. I certainly have made more afghans than sweaters.

I love the variety in color, texture, availability and price of the various acrylic yarns.

I think that acrylic gets a bad rap based on SOME yarns not being up to par. I think we have all had some experience with a substandard skein, but that can happen with any yarn no matter what the material it is made from. I do think not all acrylic is created equal.. rhss for instance is not as soft as caron simply soft. Still 100% acrylic, and while I love the look of ss, it does have issues too (I find that it splits frequently). But while each one has pros and cons, I personally am not ready to give up acrylic all together. I frequently by several brands, I can't say that about "natural" fibers, while I do have some wool/alpaca/bamboo/ and cotton yarns, all of that combined would be less than my acrylic stash.

I think it is all about personal preference, as long as you are comfortable with it, doesn't matter if it 1% acrylic or 100%.

I do want to get into making wearables, both for myself and to give as gifts. I've made hats and scarves, and am now wondering if there's a difference with accessories and sweaters/cardigans? Is there something technical about the yarn that makes it less desirable for use in apparel?

Much as I love the idea of wearing handmade creations, the thriftiness in me (not to mention checkbook) has a hard time justifying a $50 sweater when I can buy one much cheaper in a store. (obviously gifts are different as the focus is a hand-made gift of love to the recipient)

I do want to get into making wearables, both for myself and to give as gifts. I've made hats and scarves, and am now wondering if there's a difference with accessories and sweaters/cardigans? Is there something technical about the yarn that makes it less desirable for use in apparel?

Yes, there are technical differences. Natural fibers, either animal or plant based, respond much more readily to blocking. Thus they have a smoother look in the finished garment. Acrylic tends to retain a bunchy, "stitchy" look even after blocking, whereas natural fibers relax more and the stitches open up, often elongate, and lay more smoothly. (Simple blocking is basically wetting the garment and laying it flat to dry, gently patting it into the desired final shape; more severe blocking can involve stretching the item and pinning it in shape, pinning out points in lace, or placing edges on blocking wires to give a straight edge.) I posted this http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102911

a while back, showing the difference blocking makes. You can see how the unblocked stitches have a more bunchy appearance.

the other big difference in my experience is that natural fibers breathe more than acrylic and thus are more comfortable to wear. I made myself a top in acrylic (Lustersheen) in about 1986 and have worn it only a few times because it is hot...and Lustersheen is pretty fine weight yarn. Now that I am older and my internal thermostat is touchy, I will not even consider using acrylic for a wearable. (Yes i do have some acrylic store bought/manufactured sweaters, but they are made with yarn that is about as heavy as sewing thread so the fabric is pretty thin...not planning to crochet myself a sweater with anything that fine lol.)

If you are interested in the properties of different fibers, Clara Parkes' book the Knitter's Book of Yarn is very interesting.

And here is a yarn I discovered recently, Cascade Heritage Silk http://cascadeyarns.com/cascade-HeritageSilk.asp

It sells for about $16 for 430 yds and is machine wash and dry and is heavenly. I made this http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137035 and had yarn left over. So there are affordable natural fiber yarns out there!

Thank you magiccrochetfan! That helps me out quite a bit! It makes sense to me now, how acrylic would be better for hats, scarves, and blankets, but not so much for sweaters.

And the cascade heritage silk looks absolutely beautiful!! I absolutely can't wait to use some of those colors!

Thank you magiccrochetfan! That helps me out quite a bit! It makes sense to me now, how acrylic would be better for hats, scarves, and blankets, but not so much for sweaters.

And the cascade heritage silk looks absolutely beautiful!! I absolutely can't wait to use some of those colors!

You're welcome:hook

Rose, are you thinking of this? http://crochetinsider.com/interview/jean-leinhauser

2006 Interview by Dora Ohrenstein of Jean (For those who might not know who Jean was, she passed away recently)

It is a really interesting perspective. I remember the era of women starting little businesses and losing money was a good thing---in my area it was little art galleries. The woman in my town who had a tiny yarn shop then was not hoping to lose money i am certain. Also remember buying yarn at Penneys, i actually still have some of it!

I do think things are changing and more crocheters are using LYS yarns, making garments, and pattern availability is certainly changing. So i think the differences between knitters and crocheters are lessening. And of course many people do both crafts. I am pretty sure i will never knit an afghan--did one doll blanket and it took forever!--but i have made sweaters and socks in both crafts.

As others have noted, synthetic yarns are pretty easy care. When I make gifts I always clip the washing/handling instructions from yarn labels and include it with the card. Some of the natural and blended yarns have rather daunting care instructions and I will get calls from the gift recipients asking .... "Now HOW do I wash and dry this???" ....LOL.

But overall I like lots of different kinds of fiber to work with but rarely make anything "large" with the pricier yarns. Just too expensive.

Kathy - you're just awesome. That's the article I was thinking of.

As far as wearables - you don't want to use regular 4ply worsted weight acrylic. It's too thick. If you're really interested in making wearables (and you'll have them for a lifetime) check out this book: Custom Crocheted Sweaters - Garments that Really Fit. http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Crocheted-Sweaters-Garments-Really/dp/160059798X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338408833&sr=8-1

For me, there isn't much choice. After years of being made fun of and told "no one's really allergic to wool, you just think you are"it turns out I really am--and so are most of the people I knit for. The knitters I knew were downright snippy about it. Öh, that's junk, you need this brand...oh, that's garbage, how could you spend only $10 for a skein of wool, you need this instead..."and all of it made me itch and made my nails crack. When I started wheezing during a fairly large project, that put an end to my using wool. If I want to do any felting now, I have to wear a dust mask and gloves.

There are some nice cotton yarns, and I really like the sari silk I got on eBay a year or so ago, but I didn't buy enough of it. Eventually, when I get the money for another big hank, it'll be a shawl. By the way, the reclaimed sari silk is dirty when you get it and has fuzz hanging out, but a wash and some hairspray tames it :)

Kathy - you're just awesome. That's the article I was thinking of.

As far as wearables - you don't want to use regular 4ply worsted weight acrylic. It's too thick. If you're really interested in making wearables (and you'll have them for a lifetime) check out this book: Custom Crocheted Sweaters - Garments that Really Fit. http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Crocheted-Sweaters-Garments-Really/dp/160059798X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338408833&sr=8-1

Haha thanks! I can remember that, but don't ask me where i left my keys:lol

Becky I have always taken someone at their word when they told me they were allergic to something, and that'sanother reason I was drawn to acrylic, which I've been told is hypoallergetic. My best friend is allergic to wool, so i made her baby shower items from acrylic just in case her daughter took after mommy!

Becky I have always taken someone at their word when they told me they were allergic to something, and that'sanother reason I was drawn to acrylic, which I've been told is hypoallergetic. My best friend is allergic to wool, so i made her baby shower items from acrylic just in case her daughter took after mommy!

Some people are allergic to acrylic, though it seems to be pretty rare. I have a friend who cannot wear acrylic at all.

Some people are allergic to the different dyes that are used in the acrylic. I knew one woman who couldn't use a certain color because her forearms would be covered in hives.

Wool makes me itch. I don't care what anybody says about it - wool makes me itch so I don't use it.

What it comes down to is that other people's opinions don't matter. If you're happy with what you're using, how it comes out and looks when it's finished - then you're happy with it.

Funny story - I went into the local quilting shop and asked about yarn. I got the typical looking down her nose and 'We don't do that here'. I told her "That's too bad. You should see the beautiful blankets and lace that I make." She was surprised at my answer. When she asked if I was ready to ring up the fabric purchase I told her "No, I'd much rather spend my money in a store that doesn't look down on my beloved craft." and out the door I went.

I know - I'm more outspoken then most. If a store is going to belittle what I do and love then they don't get my money. It's a simple concept. I don't get along well with snobs of any variety - be they yarn or craft.

To answer your original question - yes, acrylic yarn gets a bad rap for wearables. That's not to say that I haven't seen some flat out GORGEOUS wearables made from regular old 4plyWW. If someone can make that look good then they are just amazing!

My daughter and I both avoid wool. She knits and is really allergic and gets hives from even touching it. I am just sensitive to it and itch, so I appreciate nice synthetics. Wool is beautiful, but acrylic is often a "friendlier" yarn.

I don't have the budget for more the more expensive yarns, so I've learned to make acrylic yarn work for nearly all of my projects. I buy cotton yarn for certain things, but I mainly purchase acrylic.

I've noticed that tension and stitch choice can turn even the most "rough of acrylic yarns" into something to cuddle with.

Personally though, I buy acrylic because I can't afford the higher end yarns. I enjoy the consistency found in acrylics and like I said, I'll splurge and buy cotton for specific items only. I love finding yarn at thrift stores and garage sales --- this is how I've come to experiment with new types, brands, and materials.

Most charities only accept acrylic yarns. I would say 90% or more of my work goes to charities. You can find some very nice washable yarns

knit picks Brava yarn is very nice. Caron simply spot and there are many others. They are reasonably priced and maintain color and softness and

can be worn for a long time.

I only buy acrylic and cotton. I don't make apparel but have been thinking about it. I can't handle the scratchiness of wool, and the natural fiber yarns are beyond my budget anyway. I crochet for the love it and I try to ignore the yarn snobs. I won't let them spoil the joy I enjoy when I crochet.

• 2 weeks later...
hmm... I think she maybe right. I can only speak for myself, but I don't make a lot of wearable items. I certainly have made more afghans than sweaters.

I love the variety in color, texture, availability and price of the various acrylic yarns.

I think that acrylic gets a bad rap based on SOME yarns not being up to par. I think we have all had some experience with a substandard skein, but that can happen with any yarn no matter what the material it is made from. I do think not all acrylic is created equal.. rhss for instance is not as soft as caron simply soft. Still 100% acrylic, and while I love the look of ss, it does have issues too (I find that it splits frequently). But while each one has pros and cons, I personally am not ready to give up acrylic all together. I frequently by several brands, I can't say that about "natural" fibers, while I do have some wool/alpaca/bamboo/ and cotton yarns, all of that combined would be less than my acrylic stash.

I think it is all about personal preference, as long as you are comfortable with it, doesn't matter if it 1% acrylic or 100%.

I am so glad I read this post and I have to so I agree with you there is no difference it's all about what you like and your comfort. I have worked on patterns that required one form of yarn and I used a different something based on look and feel alone.

• 1 year later...

I'm a novice but I HAD TO start out using acrylics because of my allergy to wool.  Thanks so much for substantiating this with your comments and making me feel automatically welcome as a new member (I haven't introduced myself but hope to soon).   :)

Funny story - I went into the local quilting shop and asked about yarn. I got the typical looking down her nose and 'We don't do that here'. I told her "That's too bad. You should see the beautiful blankets and lace that I make." She was surprised at my answer. When she asked if I was ready to ring up the fabric purchase I told her "No, I'd much rather spend my money in a store that doesn't look down on my beloved craft." and out the door I went.

I know - I'm more outspoken then most. If a store is going to belittle what I do and love then they don't get my money. It's a simple concept. I don't get along well with snobs of any variety - be they yarn or craft.

I just LOVE that story!  I did a similar thing years and years ago, when I was Christmas shopping for my mother.  I wanted a really nice robe, and so I went into a fairly nice store that had high quality clothing.  While I was looking at some robes that were not cheap, a sales lady came up to me, and told me: "You'll find a selection more suited to you over there"--pointing to a pile of markdown junk!  I took one look at a price tag on the junk, and told her loudly: "Oh, no, I'd planned on spending at least 3 times that much!"  And I walked out, leaving a sputtering saleswoman running after me!  That was the LAST time I ever set foot in that store!

Most charities only accept acrylic yarns. I would say 90% or more of my work goes to charities. 

I agree--and, like you, I also crochet most of my projects for charity.  I would be willing to bet that the "yarn snobs" don't make a lot for charity, wouldn't you?

Archived