Acrylic yarn - why the bad rap?

Je-Rel Drood

I would be willing to bet that the "yarn snobs" don't make a lot for charity, wouldn't you?

There are charities that want wool items, like Afghans for Afghans.  So I would think someone who only likes to work with wool would seek out those charities for their charitable donations.  

I think acrylic got its bad rep. From the early days, horrible scratchy Orlon, I believe it was called. Since those times it has improved no end, there are some beautifully soft acrylics available now.

Perhaps those who dislike it so much haven't taken the time to check out modern versions.

I use all acrylic, for cost and practicality. Virtually all my crochet is for charities and with very few exceptions, I make afghans, baby blankets and lapghans, so I love the low cost. I personally love RHSS - the color range is so wide it's fun to plan projects with it and though some of the colors are pretty stiff and scratchy off the skein, so not as nice to work with, the color makes up for that. And it seems to be getting better.

I also like the easy care for those who receive things I make. The last thing I remember crocheting for myself (except for some coasters) long ago, was a wool afghan. Eventually in a brain freeze moment I forgot it was wool and washed and dried it. You can imagine. It had been a large afghan made with fairly bulky yarn, and it became a small afghan, and thick enough that I could have slept under it on the tundra in mid-winter. Sadly I live in the south and eventually just threw it away as useless.

I am planning on making a shawl and have been looking at acrylic/wool blends,  but I've been rethinking that too. The ones I had my eye on aren't terribly expensive, but there are some nice lighter weight acrylics and I will probably just go with one of them. Actually, last night when I got the mail there was a Knit Picks catalog in it, and I browsed through it white I ate supper just to have something to do. I spotted the Brava that someone mentioned and the "I want, I want, I want..." started. Beautiful colors.

If I knitted socks and gloves or a shawl now and then for the queen, I would probably use some of the more expensive fibers and brands. But for what I do, I love acrylic. It's perfect.

Certainly part of the "bad rap" reputation of acrylic comes from the fact that in the earlier days of acrylic, there really WAS some awful acrylic yarn. Most of it was the "I don't recognize that brand" type, or the "I can't even find a company name on here" type. Some of it is still floating around. People dig it out of attics and closets. I wouldn't worry too much. You can tell this stuff just by looking at it.

Those who often give acrylic yarn a bad press tend to be people who haven't tried using it recently. 

I never use wool I have very sensitive skin which will sting and develop red blotches when in contact with wool.  I was give some alpaca yarn last month but it did just the same thing I took it to the local charity shop in the end.

I used good quality acrylic for knitting and crochet it's so soft and supple and never require's blocking and I a make wearables in both crochet and knitting.

It's also washable, lasts a lot longer, looks better for longer.  I same times use cotton but tbh it's never the same never as soft and the more you wash it even using conditioner items became harder.

If you ever want to do any hand felting then wool is the way to go.  I've always hated how wool mats over time myself and have never really like woolen's being 'hand felted'    It come into contact with some lovely soft wools but within minutes my skin is stinging and coming out in those tell, tell red blotches. 

But it's best always to use what you yourself prefer to work with, try out different brands, weights, blends and find what work best for you.

All the best

A little late, but I just saw your yarn snob story, and I love it. Wish I'd thought to say that several times to some of the knitwits who own yarn shops.

Some people are allergic to the different dyes that are used in the acrylic. I knew one woman who couldn't use a certain color because her forearms would be covered in hives.

Wool makes me itch. I don't care what anybody says about it - wool makes me itch so I don't use it.

What it comes down to is that other people's opinions don't matter. If you're happy with what you're using, how it comes out and looks when it's finished - then you're happy with it.

Funny story - I went into the local quilting shop and asked about yarn. I got the typical looking down her nose and 'We don't do that here'. I told her "That's too bad. You should see the beautiful blankets and lace that I make." She was surprised at my answer. When she asked if I was ready to ring up the fabric purchase I told her "No, I'd much rather spend my money in a store that doesn't look down on my beloved craft." and out the door I went.

I know - I'm more outspoken then most. If a store is going to belittle what I do and love then they don't get my money. It's a simple concept. I don't get along well with snobs of any variety - be they yarn or craft.

To answer your original question - yes, acrylic yarn gets a bad rap for wearables. That's not to say that I haven't seen some flat out GORGEOUS wearables made from regular old 4plyWW. If someone can make that look good then they are just amazing!

I love my acrylic yarn. LOVE IT. I crochet a lot for charity or gifts and people like the afghans I make. I make a lot of baby afghans too. The favorite for that? Lion Brand Homespun. I get raves from the mama's telling me their baby's love the blankies.

I crochet with cotton too. For wash cloths, dishcloths etc.

I recently bought some wool/cashmere yarn. It is gorgeous and wonderful to crochet with, but, I couldn't use it on a regular basis because of the cost. And is it really practical for a baby blanket?? Above all, I am practical.

So, to the acrylic yarn snobs, so what!! I LOVE acrylic yarn, and I can buy a lot and make a lot to donate.

Just a reminder: We do our best to treat others nicely and respect here. Please don't make disparaging remarks about specific individuals or groups of people.

Case in point: there are plenty of people who prefer not to use acrylics who make lots of things for charities. I know quite a few of them myself! :)

• 1 month later...

I think it's all about working with what you got! Some items I have made (bows) do not look as nice in acrylic than other materials (cotton and fine weights). But other items (blankets, hats), I think work wonderfully in acrylic, I don't care what anyone says! And after a few washes, an acrylic scarf can feel pretty soft! If you learn to work with the materials you have, you can make some really amazing things! It's all a matter of matching, pairing, and combining with endless possibilities! That is a reason why I love crochet! :)

Archived