Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone!  Well it happened again.  I had a post with comments to several people and it disappeared in cyberspace!  So I'll just wish you all a Happy New Year and hope that it's a better one for all.  I saw some beautiful eye candy.  Lovely blankets and nice secret santa gifts!  I would love the pattern for the crocheted basket.  The handle for the pan is nice!  Funny, I was going to make one for my son & DIL but hubby didn't think they would want one.  I made them a pot top cover instead and they asked me if I could make them a handle cover because they've been looking all over for one! LOL!  I made them 2 for the next time I see them  :)   They've also shown me a headband that their friends like, but I haven't been able to find one like it.  I think it's knitted, so I'm on a pattern search, lol.  I love it when they ask for something!

Gotta go get ready for tonight.  I think we may watch a movie and try to stay up to see in the new year.  More than likely we'll be in bed by 10, lol.  Happy New Year all!   :party

It's  :wbrr  :wbrr  :wbrr  My morning started off with a run to the bank.  Had new checks printed with a minor deletion on the address line and when I got them they had deleted hubby's name off them as well.  Good thing he is good natured or else they could have gotten me in trouble.  Then we went to the zoo and the polar bear is loving this weather.  They did a count down at noon and tossed him a ball with something he likes coated on it.  He had a blast with it. Found out that polar bear fur is colorless.   They had a swatch to look at and it is.  One piece of hair looks like nylon fishing line. Then it was off to the tropics house to soak up the heat.  We swung by the sea lion pool before visiting the penguins where we got to see them way the 2 baby chicks. Stopped for tacos on the way home. We will be spending this evening at home with a cup of hot cider or cocoa and a fire in the old woodstove.  

Happy New Year everone!

Sharing time! It's not yarn, but this is what I've been putting all my other projects on hold to work on. Finished the quilting, the stitching together, the binding and the labelling, and wrapped and delivered it! Not entirely to my surprise, the little cousin it was for was more interested in the Lego minifig Little Viking wrapped up to give him (out of his own stash, no less), but his parents liked it a lot. Everybody likes the barn door. :) (That's a horse in there; Little Viking took that picture for me which is why it's a little blurry!)

The fabrics are mostly clothes from his grandmother, my aunt, who passed away several years before he was born. I had made a wallhanging out of the clothes for her daughter when she got married, and for some reason (I mean, there're obvious ones, but I can't remember what specifically sparked it) I decided I should make a quilt for the grandson (my aunt's son's son). I thought this would be another way for him to have a piece of her, even though he didn't get to know her.

I printed the label on fabric transfer paper, so I was able to include all the details about where the fabrics came from - in addition to my aunt, there's some from my grandfather (also gone), and the camo in the sashing was from my brother's fatigues. He's not dead, but I needed something different and he's still family. :D Some of the background fabrics and the backing fabric were out of my aunt's fabric stash as well - they gave me quite a few of her craft supplies when they cleaned out the house.

When I thought, "Man, now I should probably make another one for his sister, and for his cousin (aunt's daughter's daughter)" I wanted to curl up and hide; this thing took me four years! But I'm treating it like Christmas - it doesn't all have to be done at once, and there will be time in the future to work on it. So I can tackle another project if I want after enough time has passed that I feel recovered from this! :lol

Ok, wordy, I always have trouble turning that off. Sorry!

post-62070-0-19992700-1420078793_thumb.jpg

post-62070-0-60828100-1420078804_thumb.jpg

post-62070-0-24383900-1420078810_thumb.jpg

oh,  we are staying in, we don't like being on the road with a lot of crazies on holidays like this, so inside, staying warm, eating up all the leftovers in the fridge, oh and handyman made a german chocolate cake for desert tonight, turned out good, I had a small piece but am not that into cake, and or chocolate, lol, but I had some.

still cold here too, but m ade it through the coldest night of the year,l last night. was like 5 below zero, with wind chills making it like 17 below out there,makes me worry so about all the outside creatures, how do they make it through weather like that!

well, everyone out there, Happy New Year to you all, i hope 2015 brings you health, healing, wealth, happiness, and love, to start with,and build from there!!!!    BEST OF THE BEST, TO YOU AND YOURS!!!!! :ghug

:mdust Happy New Year!  :mdust 

VikingRunnerGirl, That quilt is amazing and full of so many family memories.

We watched the live streaming of Disney World's count down to the new year and ate ice cream sundaes. We don't really have any plans for today. Guess I'll go take a look at the birthday list so I can get started on squares for this month. Have a great day everyone.

Ok, I took a look at the birthday list and I pledge 2 squares for each of the birthday girls.

Sharing time! It's not yarn, but this is what I've been putting all my other projects on hold to work on. Finished the quilting, the stitching together, the binding and the labelling, and wrapped and delivered it! Not entirely to my surprise, the little cousin it was for was more interested in the Lego minifig Little Viking wrapped up to give him (out of his own stash, no less), but his parents liked it a lot. Everybody likes the barn door. :) (That's a horse in there; Little Viking took that picture for me which is why it's a little blurry!)

That is completely amazing!!!

Happy new year everyone!!! I hope you all have a year filled with FO's!  :yay

I have a question for the birthday bash, it might be a duh-huh question, lol, okay so can we make any square to send out or should they all be regular granny squares? I just want to make sure I'm not doing things wrong. lol  :no  :yes

Brenda, gorgeous ghans. I love the oranges and greens together. Which zoo did you go to? We use to go to the Springfield zoo all the time. 

Viking, LOVE that quilt. So pretty.

I went and got sick Monday, throwing up. :/ then Tuesday came home and water pipes burst outside under ground so no water that night until yesterday afternoon. Disagreement with my friend left me in tears all day yesterday but new day, new year, new joy. 

Happy New Year to you all. Praying it's our best yet. 

Viking that is an awesome quilt.  Just beautiful.  And so neat that it's made with fabric from different family members. 

JustAddGlitter unless they specify a particular pattern on their request I do any square I feel like at the time.

sopo, it's the Kansas City Zoo.  We live about 45 minutes away from it.  What a way to end the year---flu, broken water pipes and disgruntled friend :hug  :hug

That is completely amazing!!!

Happy new year everyone!!! I hope you all have a year filled with FO's!  :yay

I have a question for the birthday bash, it might be a duh-huh question, lol, okay so can we make any square to send out or should they all be regular granny squares? I just want to make sure I'm not doing things wrong. lol  :no  :yes

Well i dont really know maggi, pm them and ask if they have any objections to that, that is what I would do, I most normally do the grannys though, but any pattern, so, lol hope that helps...I personally wouldn't mind  a change up in my ghan, but that's just me, lol .

Brenda, gorgeous ghans. I love the oranges and greens together. Which zoo did you go to? We use to go to the Springfield zoo all the time. 

I went and got sick Monday, throwing up. :/ then Tuesday came home and water pipes burst outside under ground so no water that night until yesterday afternoon. Disagreement with my friend left me in tears all day yesterday but new day, new year, new joy. 

oh, so rry sopo, things will get better, hope you feel a lot better soon, i too have a mild cold, nose running, and eyes itching, so even though it's uncomfortable, Im glad at this point, that is all it is.....

Brenda, I may have been to that zoo years ago now, when in your city, but we have the Henry Dorley zoo, and when daughter was small, had year passes to it, and it is soooo big, and sooooo much walking, it is certainly something to see though!!

The zoo, all of us preferred, was a smaller one in Lincoln Ne. it was more kid oriented, and lots of interaction, course it didn't have the aquarium, the desert dome, the ice palace thing, or the jungle, lol like ours, but honestly was a great zoo to go to with kids!! I enjoyed it too!!

Going through my winter coats, sheesh, have I shrunk, all the sleeves seem so long now, lol picked out a good warm one to wear to the store and errands, easily cared for in the wash and dryer, which is what I like!! I have a fake fur one, that is gorgeous, but don't wear it only for good, as the care is dry clean only,

Now to the hat and scarf, and cowl box to pick out something to go with, lol I always make things for me, to match my coats, lol it's like a thing with me, lol But get lots of comments, lol good ones!!

so, hope everyone had a good day today, first day of 2015, iI need to get a new calendar soon, am lost without one hanging in my craft room at least, lol

maybe tomorrow, my bank will have one, who knows!

well, settling in for the night, watch some tv maybe, pick up a hook for a bit m aybe, I dunno, gotta clean up this coat mess first, lol back to the closet, have a good evening all!!

oh, brenda, made a mate to that hot pot sitter, lol that you made for me, I love it, it's so thick and I really needed one, as I forbid anyone to put any hot bottomed anything on my counters, lol so I use yours quite a bit now, and decided the other day to make a mate for it, I can't match your gorgeous small stitches, but I made one, Ill pic it tomorrow, and show you it, it's in the round, for contrast, but blue too!! I just can't use anything smaller than a g or a 7 anymore, or my wrists bother me..I tried but the darn cotton kept splitting and it was tedious, so i frogged it, and grabbed my g hook! ..darn it. but it turned out ok, lol now I have two, for those long casserole dishes to cool off on too!! yay.

and while at it, made up a few more for my friends, he he he, in their colors, least what i can remember of their kitchens, lol I know one is a blue person, like me, one is red, for contrast, one likes spring colors, one doesn't care as long as i made it for her, lol and a couple more... Im working on those now, these are not as big as yours, nor mine, but just the same will sit a hot pot or casserole dish, comfortably on the counter, or table even, ill pic those soon, i had to cross hec and high water, to get to where i relocated the cotton that I have, lol but i  did it, without calling handyman for help getting things back in, i do that all the time, lol he does it, but he grumbles a bit,why didn't i think of that the other day, when all the stuff was out of the way?? Well, just cause i didn't, that's why!! lol  You'd think by now, he would be conditioned to just do it, huh, knowing that is just the way i am,lol and i think he is, but thinks I wont have him help if he grumbles a bit about it, ha, little does he know, right!!

Well i dont really know maggi, pm them and ask if they have any objections to that, that is what I would do, I most normally do the grannys though, but any pattern, so, lol hope that helps...I personally wouldn't mind  a change up in my ghan, but that's just me, lol .

Ah okay, glad I thought to ask that! lol I'll add that question when I ask for addresses :D

Oh no! I hope everything is going better. :hug

Well I hadn't planned on a long response but I've been out of touch for a couple days so that didn't happen. I'm on my tablet and it doesn't really like forums so pardon any typos please! Lol

I have no pattern for the basket but could write up one from my head of how i did it. Let me know if you would like me to do that.

If you had a moment to write up some basic instructions, I would really love it! They're such a great idea!

AngelRoseLite, you did a super job on Annie.  Gosh those are beautiful squares from your Secret Santa.  I really like the color combo of the large one.  The holly pin is really cute too.

yarn_monkey, poor Peanut, but it needed to be done.  And as far as the choice words for his mom I had to laugh as I have seen this too from my niece when she was a baby.   One time she was crawling across the floor and starting to get into something so I told her no.  She just looked over at me and jabbered something which I have always felt was a cussing out in baby jabber.  

katy, cold cold here to but kitty has a sun spot for now anyway.  I think we are going to try to go to the zoo tomorrow.  I really only appreciate the tropical exhibit this time of year.  It's just too steamy for me in the summer.  The polar bears love the cold and they have a nice warm area where you can sit and watch them, same for the penguins.  I am still finishing off candy canes.  I wanted some to take Sat night when the ladies I used to work with get together.  

yarn_monkey these were the afghans that i gave to my nieces, nephew, and great nephew. 

I made all of these

attachicon.gifDSCF0011.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF0013.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF0020.JPG

I put these together from squares my aunt and mom made and worked in the ends on the ripple which my aunt made

attachicon.gifDSCF0012.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF0015.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF0021.JPG 

attachicon.gifDSCF0016.JPG

I put this one together from my aunt's squares and gave it away earlier this year.attachicon.gifDSCF0023.JPG

The afghans are really beautiful! They turned out great! I'm sure everyone will treasure them and I'm sure your aunt is so proud!

Wow, Brenda!  You made some gorgeous afghans!  I can barely tackle one a year if I'm lucky :lol  I have so many toys lined up to make that I'm thinking I'll break the tedium with a blanket or two.  They are hard work!  I really loved the squares, especially the big one.  The colors are great :)

I'm so glad you liked your package.  Have fun at Joann's :)

I always have several afghans going at a time plus other projects because I just get so bored with one afghan only at a time. I have a scrap granny, a ripple, a baby round ripple, and another one with different color panels and raised flower and leaf designs on it all in the process right now but I'm hoping to finish at least the ripple and the flower one this year. They're never fast projects for me! Lol

It's  :wbrr  :wbrr  :wbrr  My morning started off with a run to the bank.  Had new checks printed with a minor deletion on the address line and when I got them they had deleted hubby's name off them as well.  Good thing he is good natured or else they could have gotten me in trouble.  Then we went to the zoo and the polar bear is loving this weather.  They did a count down at noon and tossed him a ball with something he likes coated on it.  He had a blast with it. Found out that polar bear fur is colorless.   They had a swatch to look at and it is.  One piece of hair looks like nylon fishing line. Then it was off to the tropics house to soak up the heat.  We swung by the sea lion pool before visiting the penguins where we got to see them way the 2 baby chicks. Stopped for tacos on the way home. We will be spending this evening at home with a cup of hot cider or cocoa and a fire in the old woodstove.  

Happy New Year everone!

I'm so jealous you went to the zoo! DH and I love going to zoos and aquariums. Any time we visit a city that he one, we always make time to go. It's one of our "things"! Lol I always find a charm for my bracelet and a mini snow globe to take home with me. Polar bears are so cute. I had no idea that their fur was translucent like that. I always just assumed they were white. Learn something new every day, right?

The fabrics are mostly clothes from his grandmother, my aunt, who passed away several years before he was born. I had made a wallhanging out of the clothes for her daughter when she got married, and for some reason (I mean, there're obvious ones, but I can't remember what specifically sparked it) I decided I should make a quilt for the grandson (my aunt's son's son). I thought this would be another way for him to have a piece of her, even though he didn't get to know her.

I printed the label on fabric transfer paper, so I was able to include all the details about where the fabrics came from - in addition to my aunt, there's some from my grandfather (also gone), and the camo in the sashing was from my brother's fatigues. He's not dead, but I needed something different and he's still family. :D Some of the background fabrics and the backing fabric were out of my aunt's fabric stash as well - they gave me quite a few of her craft supplies when they cleaned out the house.

When I thought, "Man, now I should probably make another one for his sister, and for his cousin (aunt's daughter's daughter)" I wanted to curl up and hide; this thing took me four years! But I'm treating it like Christmas - it doesn't all have to be done at once, and there will be time in the future to work on it. So I can tackle another project if I want after enough time has passed that I feel recovered from this! :lol

Ok, wordy, I always have trouble turning that off. Sorry!

I love the quilt! It's beautiful and so sweet using those fabrics. I saved some of my mom's old shirts to do something not nearly as amazing for Sister and I. It's just a matter of figuring out how because I have mom's old sewing machine and now idea how to use it, or how to make a quilt. I thought about just crocheting them together but haven't figured out the method to that either yet.

Also wanted to tell you my sister loved the Yellow Submarine book! She didn't know it existed either so she was really excited about it. Thank you again!

I hope you're feeling better soon and I hope you and your friend can come together and move on. HUGS because I can't work the faces on my tablet.

DH and I spent last night in. We don't like going out and fighting all the drunk people. We went to a family friend's house and my dad cooked filet mignon on the grill and his girlfriend made roasted potatoes and broccoli so we ate and then came home to watch the ball drop from the couch. Everything was fine until the ball dropped and Elton John came on and did a performance of his song "I'm Still Standing." My mom loved Elton John and that song, so between that and the words (which despite being about a breakup still hit home with me because of the past year) and the year being over, even though it was a hard one, I just had had enough and my emotions got the best of me.

Prayers for 2015 being better for all of us!

Well this post already turned out 100 times longer than I had planned so I'll sign off for now to work on the chemo caps I'm going to donate to the places my mom had her treatments. Viking, I'll never say anything about your posts being long because that would be the pot calling the kettle black! Lol!

I really hope all my comments and quotes went right because none of the formatting showed up. Fingers crossed and I'll hit "add reply" lol

Archived