Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

good  morning!

Yes, Im up, and have  my face on, and dressed, and it's not even 9 yet, l ol, brunch was called due to the sleet last night, and sidewalks and parking lots are no fun, couple on canes, so we called it, that means that I will have to deliver my goodies door to door, but handyman will do the running them up to the door, Ill just drive, lol thank goodness! He is more sure on his feet. Doggie even fell this am on the porch, just splat, lost her footing, and went down, she is a big girl, so glad handyman was here to get her up and in again. She isn't hurt, cept a little embarrassed about is all...

what else, nothing much happening yet, too early, missing my omelet I always order, lol, but I will survive im sure!
Least the phone rang before I struggled to get wire earrings in, i hate wires, but wanted to look Christmassy, so wanted them, but the phone rang in time beofre I started the struggle, lol. Now I don't have to wear them!

I hope people are getting thier giftees out there, lets see some pics, lol.....Nothing much else on the agenda, still those few errands to run, need jello, and whipped cream for my Jello cake, anyone ever done these, they are just short of strawberry shortcake cake, lol. Some call them poke cakes, or hole cakes, but I have always called them jello cakes, here's a recipie if you want to have it for a desert, we love them, and daughter wants jello cake, lol I make mine in a 9 by 11 rectangle cake pan, it has a lid, so we just cut and serve from the pan, and then pop the lid on, and put it back in the fridge, less trouble than dealing with layers, lol Experience taught me that, lol     

All for now, enjoy your day, tuesday, such a nice name for such a dreary day here anyways!! can't complain though, this afternoon, i will be something like 48 or something out, soooooooo beats snow lol      take care.

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone. Katie hollered at me on pm so wanted to poke my head in. Time is passing me by right now, stressing over trying to get everything done. I still have a boatload to get done before Christmas but getting there. 

Brenda, thank you so much for the candy cane, card and the turtles are adorable! I wish I had the ability to do the tiny crochet. It's beautiful. I wanted you to know I've sent out 30 some towels and holders to my work clients and another 20 or so to church people. :) Thanks again. Praying for your dad.

Katie, hedgie babies are all in their new homes this weekend. I even let Moose go... a 16 yr old has been wanting one for over a yr and parents couldn't find one. She didn't know they were getting it so he is making someone very happy. Here's a pic of the last little girl that left Sunday. 

My friend came by Sunday and we had lunch. This treatment is taking a toll on him. I cannot imagine how hard it is on him and he still goes 150% just so fatigued and in pain. I call him superman. I told him to hang in there, he's half way done with the treatment. I am spending Christmas Eve with him, going to cook. I normally cook him things like pot roast, meatloaf and ham... anyone have any ideas on something different? (no pasta) I was thinking maybe a Mexican casserole. 

Hope you are all doing good. Katie, love your ghans. I will get with you asap on the squares. I am running so far behind I can see my tail. lol  Have a good week everyone.

post-44513-0-31706600-1418744092_thumb.jpg

Hey its good to hear the candy canes are arriving at their new homes.  It's just my way of saying I appreciate you all.  I started working on them the week of Christmas last year.  I usually stay really busy up to the weekend before Christmas and then I feel like I should still be working on Christmas so I look and start on things for next year.  My problem is not crocheting with thread.  I do that while watching tv.  My problem is getting the things pinned out and stiffened.  I don't much like that part at all.  That often takes longer than actually crocheting the piece.  

katy sorry about the brunch bunch cancellation.  I think we just lucked out as it was warm and raining yesterday morning but the temperature dropped steadily throughout the day.  I have had the jello cake before but I really prefer this one.  We call it Twinkie Cake because it kind of reminds me of a Twinkie.  Make a yellow cake.  While the cake is warm make holes in the cake with a fork and drizzle on one can of sweetened condensed milk.  Add layer of Cool Whip.  I also make it in the 9 x 11 pan with a lid and refrigerate it like you do.  

pineknott, I pulled out my Hallmark wishbook for 2014.  It's on page 31 "Christmas in the City".  The photo of it doesn't do it justice.  It was in the Oct release of ornaments.  That one caught my eye along with "Hope Shines Bright" .  It has a scene with deer in the snowy woods with a spot of light glowing through the trees.  When I was a little girl it was special when you sighted deer or turkey in MO.  Now because of our conservation dept.  we see them all the time.  I haven't looked at ornaments as much this year as most of the Hallmarks have closed.   

yarn-monkey, thanks for the Peanut photo.  Blurred photos-----I hope your camera did not decide to go out this time of year------nooooooooo all the photos we will miss out on.  .  

sopo, those hedgies are so cute,  Mexican sounds good for Christmas, wow you really went to town with those towel rings.

hello all, i remember now, that i forgot to remember to comment on peanuts pic, how adorable is he anyway!!!!!! Cutest little boy I have ever seen, (my daughter was that cute, so she was the cutest little girl, ha ha)

and for that hedgie, she is darling too!! I hope we see some pics of people getting their puffy's, we only have 4more mailing days ladies, lol..

snseezing my head off here, one sec.

ok, got my jello and whipped cream, some eggs, we were down to two, lol,and oh, got a turkey breast for us to have whenever, as they were on sale, no bone, all meat, which suits us fine!! still forgot to get more diet coke,a nd some seven up for kids on Christmas eve,  but there is always tomorrow!! Don't know when I will get handyman's help delivering the brunch goodies with me, lol but it should be this week, sometime.

not gonna warm up much today after all, reaching about 28 as the high, and it is dreary,and overcast, and damp from the sleet yesterday, but no problem for the traffic, at least, I didn't run into any, thank goodness.

Im sneezing again, whats with this anyway, hope I am not coming down with the Christas Flu or something, ha ha.

ok, check later, I hope everone that needs an addy, has it already, but if not, please pm me, and Ill get it to you!! much obliged!!

oh, never tried that cake brenda, that might be very good too! That would be good then too, with banana pudding, and topped with nanos too, me thinks!! cept the pudding, might set up too fast putting it in the holes, hmmm, have to try those both one time soon, he he.

Nikki yarn_monkey, Thank you so much for the gifts :) they are amazing :hug the ornament is lovely ( ive never seen one like it) and the sketch book will definately be put to good use. And the squares are beautiful. Ill let you know how the cocoa is ;) im sure its awesome tho. Thank you again :hug

Hi everyone!

Brenda, thank you for the lovely card and beautiful candy cane, I love it and it's already on the tree.

dragnlady5,  :birthday  have some :cake

sopo, the hedgie is adorable.

Peanut looks super cute too!

I got all my gifts wrapped today, now to get cookies done next week and I think I'll be ready for Christmas. Not much else happening today. Have a great evening.

Oh girls I am just so overwhelmed by everyone here on Crochetville! First grannyannie's wonderful Secret Santa package, then the sweet card and candy cane from Brenda, and now today two beautiful pair of earrings/stitch markers and a card from Tampa Doll! I've been crying off an on from happiness for days! Mary Jo had included a pair in her package to December's C'ville bag recipient and another lady and I had commented that we would have to wear them as earrings on Christmas and then use them as stitch markers for the rest of the year and she sent me not only those but another pair!  :manyheart  I just can't even handle all the love! 

And I have pictures!!  :yay  I figured out my camera issue! Well, not the problem with it uploading to my computer (those never did upload) but I figured out the blurry issue and I swear sometimes I worry about my brain! I never took the little protective plastic "frame" off the camera part and 8 months having the phone has finally made it come loose and it shifted over the lens! I realized it late last night! Voila! Perfect pictures again!  :reyes

So without further delay... lots of eye candy!! 

post-11765-0-74535700-1418781094_thumb.jpg

post-11765-0-03722000-1418781089_thumb.jpg

post-11765-0-78236000-1418780932_thumb.jpg

First my wonderful package from Anne!  :hug Let's see if I can do this without forgetting anything! 5 pattern sheets, a Hershey Bar, hot cocoa mix, a cupcake notepad that magnets to the fridge (I love these and use them for grocery lists), a sweet Christmas card, a tissue cozy and crocheted cover which is going straight into my purse, a Santa cross stitch kit (Yes, I do know how to cross stitch and I can't wait to do it!  :) ), 2 skeins of yarn in pink and blue (my favorite colors), several things to use for my Christmas snow globes- little reindeer, snowflakes, Christmas buttons, and carousel horses (I already have ideas and will post pictures when I finish them), a handitool (which I'm really excited about!), Christmas pen and pencil, 2 Christmas notepads, a slouchy beanie that I will wear with pride and love, and the sweetest little turtle measuring tape! Funny enough, my measuring tape just croaked so I needed another one! Well, I murdered mine... But that's not the point! Lol! And a little frog that's going right on my dresser with my other frogs! Plus a gingerbread ornament, which already has a place of honor on my tree, right up top under the topper, and two squares for my ghan! Which I'm stitching on tonight!

I really really can't thank you enough, grannyannie! I love it all so much!!! :manyheart

Then there was my lovely candy cane from Brenda, also already on my tree...

post-11765-0-42611600-1418781615_thumb.jpg

And my beautiful earrings from Tampa Doll, which isn't really related to this CAL but I had to share anyway... Christmas trees and reindeer with jingle bell feet!  

post-11765-0-65320100-1418781819_thumb.jpg

I just really am in awe of this whole group of ladies on this board... I love you all dearly and you all mean so much to me!!  :ghug

hello all, i remember now, that i forgot to remember to comment on peanuts pic, how adorable is her anyway!!!!!! Cutest little boy I have ever seen, (my daughter was that cute, so she was the cutest little girl, ha ha)

and for that hedgie, she is darling too!! I hope we see some pics of people getting their puffy's, we only have 4more mailing days ladies, lol..

snseezing my head off here, one sec.

ok, got my jello and whipped cream, some eggs, we were down to two, lol,and oh, got a turkey breast for us to have whenever, as they were on sale, no bone, all meat, which suits us fine!! still forgot to get more diet coke,a nd some seven up for kids on Christmas eve,  but there is always tomorrow!! Don't know when I will get handyman's help delivering the brunch goodies with me, lol but it should be this week, sometime.

not gonna warm up much today after all, reaching about 28 as the high, and it is dreary,and overcast, and damp from the sleet yesterday, but no problem for the traffic, at least, I didn't run into any, thank goodness.

Im sneezing again, whats with this anyway, hope I am not coming down with the Christas Flu or something, ha ha.

ok, check later, I hope everone that needs an addy, has it already, but if not, please pm me, and Ill get it to you!! much obliged!!

I'm a little biased but I definitely think he's the cutest little boy ever! :manyheart  Now that I've got my phone all figured out, I'll have another picture to share!  

Nikki yarn_monkey, Thank you so much for the gifts  they are amazing the ornament is lovely ( ive never seen one like it) and the sketch book will definately be put to good use. And the squares are beautiful. Ill let you know how the cocoa is  im sure its awesome tho. Thank you again 

I'm glad you got them and I really hope you enjoy it all! I really am curious about the cocoa. I may have to get some for myself!  :D

I visited Peanut again today and didn't accomplish much else, but I'm okay with that! For good measure, here's another Peanut picture. He likes to wiggle when Sister changes his diaper, so I took pictures and he didn't move as much because he was too busy smiling and blowing raspberries and trying to get my phone. This is the raspberry picture... Still a little blurry due to bad lighting and "give me the phone, auntie!!" but not as bad as it would have been! 

post-11765-0-08777100-1418782442_thumb.jpg

Okay I'm off to add the squares to my ghan and for real get to work on my friend's scarf. I'm a professional procrastinator (proCRAFTinator??  :rofl ) so I know I'll get it done before Christmas either way! Lol! 

Thank you guys. I had a great day. We had our Christmas party at work. Plus my boss bought me Christmassy earrings and a broach. after work I went to dinner with the ladies group. We were sitting in the resturant and they started sining happy birthday and the entire room got quiet and starred at me then everyone clpped. ,y face turned as red as my shirt and my ears got warm lol. Had a great time and wonderful day.

Thank you guys. I had a great day. We had our Christmas party at work. Plus my boss bought me Christmassy earrings and a broach. after work I went to dinner with the ladies group. We were sitting in the resturant and they started sining happy birthday and the entire room got quiet and starred at me then everyone clpped. ,y face turned as red as my shirt and my ears got warm lol. Had a great time and wonderful day.

I love it when people get sung to for their birthdays in restaurants! As a general rule, I never pick my birthday dinner at a place that sings... only a place that gives you free dessert!  :lol

And since I'm on such a picture roll tonight, I got grannyannie's squares added to my ghan and thought I'd share a so far picture... I'll probably finish it up after my turn on the birthday schedule and give it some fancy border and then move on to another one.  :)

post-11765-0-74211800-1418785731_thumb.jpg

yarn_monkey wow what a haul.  Ann did a super job.  I love the gingerbread man.  The candy cane looks happy in its new home on your tree.  The earrings are adorable.  You just never know when Tampa Doll will surprise you.  And I am so glad you figured out the blurry pictures.  Peanut is so cute. 

LACEY!!!!! THANK YOU!?!??!? I keep forgetting to post here but I received my awesome secret Santa package the other day. It is lovely and have dispersed the decorations throughout my house(all a snowman theme) and used the cards already LOL. You are such a sweetheart. Hugs!

it wasnt the wait staff that sang it was the group i was with. The church ladies

I love it when people get sung to for their birthdays in restaurants! As a general rule, I never pick my birthday dinner at a place that sings... only a place that gives you free dessert!  :lol

And since I'm on such a picture roll tonight, I got grannyannie's squares added to my ghan and thought I'd share a so far picture... I'll probably finish it up after my turn on the birthday schedule and give it some fancy border and then move on to another one.  :)

attachicon.gif2014-12-16 22.05.25.jpg

yarb_monkey your afghan is really pretty.  It's kind of neat that you are joining the squares as you get them.  It would save on making ones' self crazy arranging and rearranging them.  Your's just looks so good the way you did it.  

Archived