Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Good Morning!

I've already done my Walmart run this morning, it is so much easier when I go early. Have laundry started and I'll be heading out in a while to have lunch with some friends, then home to more laundry and some crocheting. I called my granddaughter to wish her a Happy Birthday on her real birthday (we celebrated last week). She was so excited I called and told me "You are the bestest Nana ever and I love you soooooo much", of course my heart melted. I can't wait to see her and my grandson on Sunday.

sopo, I saw your post and will get a couple squares out to you next week. I need to PM some people since I have squares for our Queen and new member too.

Howieann, those last couple of rounds always seem to take forever.

Pineknott, I think $30 for a tea kettle is expensive too.

Kuddles, have fun!

Hope everyone has a great day.

I think that's my hubby's other fav store besides Lowe's ( Bed Bath and Beyond) I go there mainly for the collapsible hassocks that you can store things in, they only have them when kids are going back to college,and since he gave one of ours away to the Canadian Aunt that visited in April .hopefully this one lasts a good long time,the last two weren't my fault

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes thankfully we were still able to flush the toilets.

The crate came today (thank you UPS guy) just before I left for knitting club. I did a bit of intro work with her tonight but I am approaching the crate very carefully as I want her to be comfy and enjoy her personal space. Training has been a very new thing for me but I have been doing very well and she is actively trying to learn new things. All in all it seems to be a positive experience for us. Lack of sleep is no new thing for me since we have three under 4. I will manage a bit longer lol. I have learned to rock the zombie look. :rofl

I hope everyone is doing well. Goodnight Ladies :)

Good luck with your puppy.  I once told my aunt that you don't really train the dog, they train you.

Hi everybody!

I am finally back again.  My account got screwed up before the Fourth of July and for a while I couldn't post or use the message service, so this is why I didn't post. I did look but I could not post. 

Who is our new queen this month?

Rusty is alseep under my feet as I type this. 

Had a problem with my easy chair since I have posted here. The footrest wouldn't come out or go in all the way, so when my friend came this month to clean the house, I asked her if she could push in the footrest and she got it in, but she told me that the chair's frame had been broken on one side and I needed a new chair and this one was just six months old. She was going to look for a chair for me, but she said that it would probably be awhile.  However, she called me on her way home to say that she knew where I could get a chair. She had remembered a mall where there was a chair that she thought would be just right for me. I told her that this was good, but I could not pay the full price, I could pay so much a month, and she said that she would just not buy it so I told her to contact my brother David and tell him about it and I thought that he would buy it for me.  He did and it came the next day. I love it. 

How is everybody doing? Rusty and I are fine.  The weather here has been hot and cloudy most days. I have not heard what the weather is supposed to be today.  

Glad you can post again.  I think I have seen someone else on another thread having problems too.  Sorry about the chair.  It should have lasted longer than 6 months.  I think I would be complaining to the store it came from about replacing it or refunding money.

good morning Rusty's mom and Kuddles and all who follow

just when the day was going so good yesterday,I did a very dumb thing

I put the teakettle on and stepped outside,for what I thought was to be minute,well many minutes passed ( trimmed tree branches)

I came back in to a very stinky kitchen,the water had boiled out of the kettle,I'm surprised the smoke detector didn't go off

went  to two Wal-Marts, no luck,went to BB&B,first one I saw was 49.00 say what !!!, we  usually leave the whistler part up, well all models now don't let you do that, well except for the 39.00 & 49.00 ones ,well since I was in a blue mood by the third store I got a cobalt blue kettle, with my coupon it cost me $ 30.00 gee whiz even that is expensive to me

as I'm reading through I sure like to use the word well  alot

I ruined one of my good pans not long ago because I forgot it was on the stove heating water.  It got so hot that the thick piece of metal on the bottom of the pan separated from the pan.  I was sick over it because it was a pan from my matchng set and one I used the most.  I can't find one that matches or anything similar to replace it.  I keep an eye out at garage sales and the thrift stores.  

Hi everyone, Haven't checked in with you guys in quite some time. Just haven't been in forums much at all. We've had a string of 'life' happening lately. I have posted in comfortghans hoping to get some squares for my sis in law. She lost her mom a few weeks ago and her brother was killed in a wreck just yesterday morning. :(  I thought a comfortghan might help ease some of the hurt. 

I checked out the front page and not quite understanding. Could someone explain the biggest square? I saw the list of people needing squares is pretty small so I'll get started trying to work my way through it. I see some names I remember sending to but will go back through again. :)

I hope you are all doing well and that life is treating you well. I'll try to be better at checking in. 

Glad you came back but sorry about all the life issues.  I will get busy and make a square or two for you.  We made a few changes when katyallen8090 stepped in to keep this group running.  We no longer maintain an address list to be sent out on request.  The administrators really did not like us doing that and it was a lot of work.   Now we pm each other for addresses when we need them.  We also started the biggest square or queen for a month.  The theory behind that is as many of us that can make and send squares to the queen their month in hopes that will move their ghan along a little faster.  You can make and send squares to others too.  Like before it is up to you who you send to and how many you want to send.  In Jan we are going to discontinue the biggest square for awhile and do birthdays.  We are just trying to  mix it up a bit and keep it interesting.  The group has dwindled down quite a bit but it seems like a lot of people have left the 'ville in general.  I have missed you and think about you often............the little bluebird you sent me is on the shelf in the living room.

Good Morning!

I've already done my Walmart run this morning, it is so much easier when I go early. Have laundry started and I'll be heading out in a while to have lunch with some friends, then home to more laundry and some crocheting. I called my granddaughter to wish her a Happy Birthday on her real birthday (we celebrated last week). She was so excited I called and told me "You are the bestest Nana ever and I love you soooooo much", of course my heart melted. I can't wait to see her and my grandson on Sunday.

sopo, I saw your post and will get a couple squares out to you next week. I need to PM some people since I have squares for our Queen and new member too.

Kuddles, have fun!

I think you have a smart granddaughter to realize that she has the bestest Nana ever.  

hi ya, you made me laugh with your zombie comment!!

Yes thankfully we were still able to flush the toilets.

The crate came today (thank you UPS guy) just before I left for knitting club. I did a bit of intro work with her tonight but I am approaching the crate very carefully as I want her to be comfy and enjoy her personal space. Training has been a very new thing for me but I have been doing very well and she is actively trying to learn new things. All in all it seems to be a positive experience for us. Lack of sleep is no new thing for me since we have three under 4. I will manage a bit longer lol. I have learned to rock the zombie look. :rofl

I hope everyone is doing well. Goodnight Ladies :)

Hey ya Jeanie, welcome back, finally, boy that took a long time, over a month actually, sheesh! Glad to have you back, and posting again!! sorry bout the chair, but like someone said, I would complain to the store I got it from too!!

Hi everybody!

I am finally back again.  My account got screwed up before the Fourth of July and for a while I couldn't post or use the message service, so this is why I didn't post. I did look but I could not post. 

Who is our new queen this month?

Rusty is alseep under my feet as I type this. 

Had a problem with my easy chair since I have posted here. The footrest wouldn't come out or go in all the way, so when my friend came this month to clean the house, I asked her if she could push in the footrest and she got it in, but she told me that the chair's frame had been broken on one side and I needed a new chair and this one was just six months old. She was going to look for a chair for me, but she said that it would probably be awhile.  However, she called me on her way home to say that she knew where I could get a chair. She had remembered a mall where there was a chair that she thought would be just right for me. I told her that this was good, but I could not pay the full price, I could pay so much a month, and she said that she would just not buy it so I told her to contact my brother David and tell him about it and I thought that he would buy it for me.  He did and it came the next day. I love it. 

How is everybody doing? Rusty and I are fine.  The weather here has been hot and cloudy most days. I have not heard what the weather is supposed to be today.  

Hi holly! Good to see you posting again regularly, and don't worry, just two more rows, and you are FINISHED yay! Would love to see a pic!

I'm trying to finish up a baby blanket for a shower on Saturday. It's a star and I'm on the last 2 rows, but it feels like it takes forever for each row now.

It's just in the last week started to act like summer around here, but I'd be ok with jumping ahead to fall. :)

Morning my friend, hope you and kiddles enjoy your weekend!

Good morning! No time to chat....gotta get ready to  go but wanted to check in and say have a great weekend!

kuddles

Oh poor pineknott, tea pots are not cheap these days, good thing I don't drink tea, huh!

I put the teakettle on and stepped outside,for what I thought was to be minute,well many minutes passed ( trimmed tree branches)

I came back in to a very stinky kitchen,the water had boiled out of the kettle,I'm surprised the smoke detector didn't go off

went  to two Wal-Marts, no luck,went to BB&B,first one I saw was 49.00 say what !!!, we  usually leave the whistler part up, well all models now don't let you do that, well except for the 39.00 & 49.00 ones ,well since I was in a blue mood by the third store I got a cobalt blue kettle, with my coupon it cost me $ 30.00 gee whiz even that is expensive to me

You are a busy girl carol!! A good nana too!!

Good Morning!

Kuddles, have fun!

I have never seen these hassocks.......

I think that's my hubby's other fav store besides Lowe's ( Bed Bath and Beyond) I go there mainly for the collapsible hassocks that you can store things in, they only have them when kids are going back to college,and since he gave one of ours away to the Canadian Aunt that visited in April .hopefully this one lasts a good long time,the last two weren't my fault

Good luck with your puppy.  I once told my aunt that you don't really train the dog, they train you.

Glad you can post again.  I think I have seen someone else on another thread having problems too.  Sorry about the chair.  It should have lasted longer than 6 months.  I think I would be complaining to the store it came from about replacing it or refunding money.

I ruined one of my good pans not long ago because I forgot it was on the stove heating water.  It got so hot that the thick piece of metal on the bottom of the pan separated from the pan.  I was sick over it because it was a pan from my matchng set and one I used the most.  I can't find one that matches or anything similar to replace it.  I keep an eye out at garage sales and the thrift stores.  

Glad you came back but sorry about all the life issues.  I will get busy and make a square or two for you.  We made a few changes when katyallen8090 stepped in to keep this group running.  We no longer maintain an address list to be sent out on request.  The administrators really did not like us doing that and it was a lot of work.   Now we pm each other for addresses when we need them.  We also started the biggest square or queen for a month.  The theory behind that is as many of us that can make and send squares to the queen their month in hopes that will move their ghan along a little faster.  You can make and send squares to others too.  Like before it is up to you who you send to and how many you want to send.  In Jan we are going to discontinue the biggest square for awhile and do birthdays.  We are just trying to  mix it up a bit and keep it interesting.  The group has dwindled down quite a bit but it seems like a lot of people have left the 'ville in general.  I have missed you and think about you often............the little bluebird you sent me is on the shelf in the living room.

I think you have a smart granddaughter to realize that she has the bestest Nana ever.  

Hello Bgs, sheesh, you are such a doll to explain to Sopo about the thread now, I don't have anything to add, oh, one thing Dear Sopo, in long absences from posting, one gets bumped off the list, so if you want to be back on, and it seems you might, ha ha, please be a dear, and send me your current addy, and preferences, pwetty pwease!! Then Ill get you back on the list, and look forward to making you some squares!! thank you, other than that, what Bgs said, lol thanks Brenda!!

Katy

I'll see if I can get Bill to set up a pic or two,they are really neat,this years colors left much to be desired,a grey one with a red stripe,the other was a crazy paisley print in white black & red,the last choice of which I picked was a solid tufted aqua  one.

the other year it was black on black kinda linen look (mine) Rene's was purple and black tufted top paisley suede look

Pineknott, ooooh, I went to bed bath and beyond's internet site, there are many, I like them all, most are sort of expensive however, the sit and stores are cool though which ones did you end up with, lol    heres their link.... take a look at that page, there are sure some cool ideas there, lol       

I can't find my tall pillar cream colored candles, I found the tulip holders for them, but no candles, I wonder if I didn't put them in the Christmas stuff box,,,,,,,oh my, there were sculptured, and about 2 or 3 inches around, and  6 high, and they fit in those tulip holders perfectly!!!! lol          oh well, there is more in underbed storage bins to look through, someday,,,ha ha ha....Least i found the dang candle holders, lol

Sounds to me like u need the Whistler part. lol 

I just boil my tea in a saucepan for ten minutes then pour it off with water and sugar.

Good news too,, :yay  daughters b day next week, and I need to get that cupcake package together soon, the chef's apron, the muffin tins, the muffin paper holders, sprinkles, the cake flour,THEE recipie  and asst. other cupcake making tools and accessories, lol she is after all the self proclaimed cupcake queen of Omaha but when she tries this recipe with the cake flour, oooo laa laa, she maybe advances to Cupcake Emperor of the World lol

Nothing much else happening tonight, quiet evening, in terms of weather, and activities in this house anyway.. Dog is asleep, cat is asleep, as I am sure handyman is on the couch, snoring, and I am up and moving about, but not too ambitiously, as was the reason, I went looking for the candles up there, lol   Been meaning to get those out again, they aren't just for Christmas anymore, lol

Ok, well, all for now, unless I find them, then Ill be back....... ;)

Man oh man there was a bunch to scroll through. As far as teapot we use cast iron. Again, pert near Amish. Not much happened today hubby got paid, I paid bills, now we be broke folks again lol. Vicious cycle. The puppy is spending her first night in the crate with zero crying. I feel she has had a very positive introduction. Best part this lady gets to sleep on bed again!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!

Oldest was accepted into free preschool double yay!!! But I had to go shopping today to start his back to school stuff.... There is no way I am buying that all at once. Insanity, x 3.... Rice and beans is going to become a staple in just a couple years. Oh the joys of raising kids :/

Triple yay of the day is that my house is silent and I am winding down. Oh the peacefulness.

G'night Squares! :))

Thanks Brenda for explaining. Thought about you all often as well. I can't remember if I ever told you all I have moved to Oklahoma or not. To help a sick friend but after the past month, that may have not been a great idea. :( My daughter has moved here too now though so I'm here for a while.   I've been teaching daughter and sil to ride (motorcycles). They are doing well. 

Crochetwise, been doing a lot of granny work. I had asked Katy but will post here too.... does anyone still like plain ole granny squares or are you guys wanting fancy? If so, I'll find some patterns. Also, any advice on joining squares with different amounts of stitches? I dug my squares out from before.. I had asked for 6" and they all have different numbers of edge stitches so what's the best way to join? 

This is what I've been working on lately... drops in the pond pattern. This one I made for a couple who's house burned over the 4th of July. They had nothing so I told them they could keep it or put it in the silent auction fundraiser. I've made one in bright colors for a baby blanket and started a king size in baby blue/white/black for my bed. I am loving it. Almost finished and then put it aside to do other work but am thinking of trying to finish it up this weekend. 

post-44513-0-64285400-1407550660_thumb.jpg

Quick random question; Sue that I've heard some people mention from awhile back, with the turtle lover handle, no chance she's from Virginia, is there?

Florida

Quick random question; Sue that I've heard some people mention from awhile back, with the turtle lover handle, no chance she's from Virginia, is there?

Unless she has moved she is in FL

Thanks Brenda for explaining. Thought about you all often as well. I can't remember if I ever told you all I have moved to Oklahoma or not. To help a sick friend but after the past month, that may have not been a great idea. :( My daughter has moved here too now though so I'm here for a while.   I've been teaching daughter and sil to ride (motorcycles). They are doing well. 

Crochetwise, been doing a lot of granny work. I had asked Katy but will post here too.... does anyone still like plain ole granny squares or are you guys wanting fancy? If so, I'll find some patterns. Also, any advice on joining squares with different amounts of stitches? I dug my squares out from before.. I had asked for 6" and they all have different numbers of edge stitches so what's the best way to join? 

This is what I've been working on lately... drops in the pond pattern. This one I made for a couple who's house burned over the 4th of July. They had nothing so I told them they could keep it or put it in the silent auction fundraiser. I've made one in bright colors for a baby blanket and started a king size in baby blue/white/black for my bed. I am loving it. Almost finished and then put it aside to do other work but am thinking of trying to finish it up this weekend. 

That's a pretty one.  As far as joining squares I think you just have to line them up and make it work.  It would probably be easiest to sew them together.   If they are close to the same size but different number of stitches you have to skip a stitch here and there to get them to come out.   You might try putting another round on the squares and by skipping or adding stitches make them come out to the same number of stitches. This method might work for you as she is putting together different  types of squares 

https://sites.google.com/site/hazel3crochets/expanded-use-of-the-flat-braid-join

hello again, just a few quickie notes to add,  thats a gorgeous afghan sopo, love that colorway!

oh, we may have another 'original" member re joining soon, i am awaiting her preferences, but both sopo, and crochet321 will be joining us, so welcome back two old'new members, and we are happy to have a couple "returnees" to crochet for!! Sopo and Crochet 321, i have pm'd you about preferences, and then I will change it on the first post from pending, to new members! Let the squaring begin!

If you don't have to edge the squares, the whip stitch too, might be the way to put them together, just like above mentioned, skip here an there to make it work, if edging, I personaly, would use the ones i have that mostly match in size and stitch count, adjst them if necessry and put the others aside for now, but that's just me,specilly if they vary in weight as well as stich count, which might make it more difficult to  hold shape when washed, i dunno. never have made a ghan in cotton!  lol

Good morning! not feeling well this morning and cant sleep. so i decided to read here. I have the boys and we are so excited. They went to daughters last night so they can swim. I will pick them up by noon today. Sunday mom is suppose to come down and pick them up.

Good Morning Squares!

Not much going on here. I think I will enjoy my last lazy day of summer crocheting. Tomorrow the grandkids will be here and Monday I will be back to work.

Glad to see members returning to us. Sopo that is a beautiful afghan.

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning everyone. Heres a picture of a blanket im working on. Lots of ends to hide later, but I dont mind. Would rather do it all at the end. Hope you all have a great weekend

Thank you everyone for the compliments. Owl, it's VERY easy.. I can do one in two days just working her and there on it and evenings. Hope yu feel better. Katy, I'll message you in a minute. Thanks for the welcome and advise. bgs, I've actually done that flat braid join before, just wasn't sure how to do it with uneven stitch numbers. Learned something! Rusty, that's good to know. Immafreek, your pic didn't show up for me. 

There's a big watermelon festival in another town but it's to get to almost 100 degrees today so standing around with 100's of other people doesn't sound too much fun. I am either going to try and finish my king blanket, crochet squares or work on a hippo I think and leave the festivaling to the others. ;)

Good morning! not feeling well this morning and cant sleep. so i decided to read here. I have the boys and we are so excited. They went to daughters last night so they can swim. I will pick them up by noon today. Sunday mom is suppose to come down and pick them up.

Hi owlvamp, sorry to hear that you didn't sleep and are not feeling well. Least you got the boys there, that's a good thing!!

Good morning everyone. Heres a picture of a blanket im working on. Lots of ends to hide later, but I dont mind. Would rather do it all at the end. Hope you all have a great weekend

I didn't see a pic either....

No problem sopo, I will get those preferences up for you momentarily!! and welcome back to the thread!

Archived