2012 Stashbusting CAL

CLLinda

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished my navy blue and dark orchid Ugly but Warm cap yesterday. But doggone it still had enough yarn left of both colors not to count towards my stash busting. Started a new Ugly but Warm cap using chocolate brown and camel. Close to finishing it but again I think I will have too much yarn left to count. I guess I will have to look at it as at least I am using up yarn.:tup:yes

Just killed off a skein of Vanna's Choice for the popcorn afghan. Used 2 balls for the scrap-ghan. Went to organize the yarn closet and found two bags of yarn barf to untangle and put into balls. I'm on my way now!

Finished my navy blue and dark orchid Ugly but Warm cap yesterday. But doggone it still had enough yarn left of both colors not to count towards my stash busting. Started a new Ugly but Warm cap using chocolate brown and camel. Close to finishing it but again I think I will have too much yarn left to count. I guess I will have to look at it as at least I am using up yarn.:tup:yes

I think you need to start a scrap 'ghan to put all those ball ends into :lol I have one that seems to be just for hat leftovers :hook

Well, I guess I'll have to come up with a Plan B. I got out the yarn for a Crystal Beauty afghan and started on the first motif. I quickly decided that this pattern just wasn't going to work for me. But I guess I can use the white and light blue for something baby and the silver millennium yarn for a holiday something. Disappointing, but on to the next project.

I think you need to start a scrap 'ghan to put all those ball ends into :lol I have one that seems to be just for hat leftovers :hook

Funny you should mention that. I have been thinking about it as I got out all of my balls of odd and end yarn the other day. But some of the balls are so small that I think they would only make one round of a cap if that much. Since I have been wanting to learn the "Russian" way to join yarn I thought all of these odds and ends would be perfect for that. Then I could start a scrap afghan.

That's what I'm doing as I make my rectangles! I'm making yo-yo's to put into a scrap afghan. :yes I've made a granny's daughter before & wanted to try something different this time!

Finally finished off a skein working on a project for one of my swaps. It was one of those skeins that I thought wild never end! lol. At least I'm beginning the week with a +2!

Funny you should mention that. I have been thinking about it as I got out all of my balls of odd and end yarn the other day. But some of the balls are so small that I think they would only make one round of a cap if that much. Since I have been wanting to learn the "Russian" way to join yarn I thought all of these odds and ends would be perfect for that. Then I could start a scrap afghan.

I LOVE the "Russian join" method - I've been using it like crazy when working on the Magic Ball afghan! It's great! Once you've done it a couple times, you'll love it, too, I'm sure (No more ends to weave in!!) :yay

I LOVE the "Russian join" method - I've been using it like crazy when working on the Magic Ball afghan! It's great! Once you've done it a couple times, you'll love it, too, I'm sure (No more ends to weave in!!) :yay

My grandma did that when she was making all her scrap afghans. I wish she would have taught me. But she did give me the beginnings of crochet, for which I am truly grateful.

:manyheart

I've never heard of it, so I'm going to google it and check it out :yes

Gotta love this way of doing it!!! If you're making a magic ball it's the way to go. That's how I'm doing the scrap-ghan I'm working on. I'd be bonkers if I had to weave in all those ends.

Ribbit, ribbit, ribbit!

uhoh..... frogging???

I've tried the russian join but really didn't like that double thick yarn. Maybe it looks ok when doing a double strand scrap ghan more than something in single strand?

uhoh..... frogging???

I've tried the russian join but really didn't like that double thick yarn. Maybe it looks ok when doing a double strand scrap ghan more than something in single strand?

I've only ever used it with worsted weight, and while you can tell a difference if you know what to look and/or feel for, and where to look and/or feel, once the object is finished you can't really find where the join took place. Oh, and I've never made any wearables (like a sweater) so I don't know how it would be for something like that; for squares, and totes, and the Magic Ball afghan I'm doing now, I really couldn't tell once I got past "the spot". (Actually, that's not entirely true - the magic ball afghan switches colors all the time, so where ever there is a color change, you can pick out the join, since it goes from one color to the next. Kind of tips you off, I guess! :lol Not so easy to do with the strand of black though!) I'm sure it's a matter of personal preference, too, though! :hug

Can I join in on the CAL? :)

The more the merrier. Be sure to read the first post of this thread. It will explain how to count your yarn as you use it up. Or in my case add new yarn to my stash. Plus any of the members of this thread will be glad to explain things to you. I just joined towards the end of last year and found everyone very helpful. Welcome to the club.

I finished my chocolate brown and camel Ugly but Warm cap this morning. I knew I would have plenty of the brown left and I did. There is just a very small ball of the camel left. So I think either later today or tomorrow at the latest, I will begin to learn the Russian method of joining yarn.

Manged to finish off another skein today (only a little bit left). Not bad considering I'm still sick.

Feel better soon! There's a lot of junk going around.

Feel better soon! There's a lot of junk going around.

Thank you. I'm hoping I feel better by tomorrow. If not, I guess I'm gonna have to cave & call the doctor.

Or in my case add new yarn to my stash.

I think to many of us resemble that remark :lol

I forgot to mention I am so proud of me. Joann.com had a special online with a 1 cent shipping charge. I resisted. I did not buy any yarn. :yay:woo:yay

I did too! aren't we good :angel

Archived