circular baby afghans

I was going to make a baby afghan from the circular baby afghan book.

I have seen where other people have used other yarn and wondered if a baby afghan made out of sport weight yarn would work?

Also, what kind of yarn has anyone used to make adult afghans with this book and what kind of changes were made to make it bigger?

I made quite a few of these. I used Caron Simply Soft. I, too, have wondered about using sport weight yarn. I haven't tried it yet. I imagine it would work up nicely but might be a bit smaller, depending on the yarn the pattern calls for. Sorry I'm not much help here. :yarn

Well I don't have a close supply for caron simply soft so I'll half to use something else.

The reason I thought of sportweight was I got a whole bunch of the balls for $5.00 each, I couldn't resist them. They were such bright colors!!! and cheaper than baby sport weight yarn.

Besides I thought that worsted weight yarn would be so heavy for a baby blanket, mayby not.

I would like to make these for adults too.

What you said about worsted weight being heavy for a baby blanket? I thought the same thing. Until I made one using Caron brand. I think because of the "openness" of the circular patterns, mine didn't feel heavy. Best wishes! I hope you post pictures of yours if you make them!:manyheart

I am just curious since my boys are not babes anymore. What is the point of round or star shaped ghans for babies? Is it just for looks or is there some function or advantage to the shapes?

I agree, there are some lovely designs and colors I just didn't know if there was some advantage to the shapes-do they wrap a baby better or ??????

I think it's just a trend in baby blankets. But they look so cute and are fun to make in the round. They seem faster than making a rectangle blanket for a baby. I love them.

:manyheart

I also just made 2 baby blankets from the book...I used the same pattern for both...the first one I made from Carron Simply soft, it was BEAUTIFUL it had nice drape and kept a great round shape. The second one I made from the new yarn from Red Heart “Super soft”, that blanket does NOT have a nice drape and you have to pull it into a round shape....I was really surprised that the yarn acted that way and was disappointed in that blanket! Both those yarns are #4 weight, while sport weight usually is #3 weight which will make the blanket smaller, but you could just add more of the border rounds to it.

• 2 weeks later...
I am just curious since my boys are not babes anymore. What is the point of round or star shaped ghans for babies? Is it just for looks or is there some function or advantage to the shapes?

My boys are all grown too and grandchildren are growing quickly too! But, I still have grand nieces and grand nephews to crochet for. I do think the round and star shapes are more for looks but I do like the way a star wraps a baby. I just wrap one point of the star in at a time, leaving one star at the head of the baby unfolded in. It just seems to work better than the usual rectangle. The round ones are great to lie a baby on when the play on the floor. They seem to squirm in a circle and this shape in the afghan works well! I enjoy making the circular and stars but my favorite is the round ripple! My new best favorite is the granny round ripple! FUN AND FAST!

I made a round ripple for a friend's daughter's baby. They both loved the shape. My friend said she liked it because there wasn't all that extra blanket in the length of rectangular one.

Archived