Interweave's Easy Hoodie Crochet-Along [IN PROGRESS]

Hooker

I've put mine down for the meantime. It would probably take me a weekend to finish, but I'm getting started on some Christmas things and those take priority. I'll try to pick it up next weekend! We CAN do this, I know we can. We can't get scared off that easily!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still feeling fairly positive about mine I just have to keep stopping myself from just working on it till its finished- it was supposed to be my big project to do in between the smaller presents I have to make. I was soo tempted to try get it finished but I still have a lot to do for the holidays (I have 3 kids birthdays coming up in the next couple of months too). Will allow myself some time on it over the weekend and will post about any progress I make.

Yes, Kippiann we will angst together! I pick mine up about once a day lately, in between other items in progress! I figure as much as I love the color and think I would look smashing in it...if it is not my size, I refuse to wear it looking like a rolled sausage. LOL In which case it will make a loverly giftie for someone! ;-)

Amy...of course we can't be scared off that easily... I mean after all it is considered easy level... ROTFLMAO! ALso I wanted to thank you for having my blog added to those you frequent! First time I have seen mine on someone else's! very cool!

Ok I put mine down for a bit, but after completing an afgahn for my mother in law (I just love Q hook crocheting) and beginning a simple poncho for my daughter, I felt guilty for not finishing this project for myself - sooo I picked it back up and organized the pieces (labled them) and began working on joining the front left/right and hood panels, and I've found it's not as hard as I was making it out to be in my head. I've gotten to row 4 on the insert band pattern on joining them, but it's time for bed. I am going to work on it more tomorrow!!!

Once that's completed, I think I might pin mine together to check the fit, before joining and might do as others have suggested and improvise if need be and add an extender panel or two ;) . We'll see.

:cheer

YAY, I might get this thing completed!!!

Alrighty...it's pinned!!!! I tried it on and it fits, a little baggy, in places but pretty dang good for my first real piece of clothing.

I hope to get it fully sewn together in the next couple of days.

Here are some rough pics of it pinned together.....:hook

frontpinned9bi.jpg

backpinned7vg.jpg

closepatternfront1by.jpg

Thanks everyone, I'm so excited :)

I was a bit scared about the size at first, but it ended up being about true for me....once I get it all together, I'll take a picture with it on. I made the biggest size. I did go longer on the sleeves (as it would be terrible if they were slightly too short) but they ended up being too long (about the amount I did extra) but that's fine with me... They are quite wide at the wrists, almost thinking of improvising and doing some kind of "drawstring" on the wrists in case I want to close them and be a bit warmer. I don't know though, first I just want to get the dang thing assembled.

Going to try to get some of it done now... :hook

April, your hoodie is soooo nice. I was thinking about making it, but the picture of it online only showed it from behind. Its quite stylish and feminine. I'm looking forward to seeing it after its sewn together. nice work! :clap Now I definitely have to make one for myself.

Tracy

:manyheart April, WOW....what a great job.......I even love your choice of color...........it's beautiful..........I didn't realize the hoodie wasnt' open all the way in the front, I can't wait to see you model it! I'm not part of your CAL but I do have the magazine and seeing yours finished really is an incentive to make one, WOW :manyheart

Motivated by April's gorgeous piece, I started my hoodie....again. I hadn't gotten that far the first time before I panicked, so I just ripped out and started over.

I chained my first row, did the v stitch and started the granite stitch pattern. It looks great !! however....(isn't there always a 'however?')....the starting chain part appears smaller, so the piece has sort of an arc to it. Is this because my tension/guage is changing? Can someone tell me how to correct this? If I start with a looser first chain, will that help? Does first chain row always have less give to it?

Have I asked too many questions yet? :hook Any yelp is greatly appreciated.

Motivated by April's gorgeous piece, I started my hoodie....again. I hadn't gotten that far the first time before I panicked, so I just ripped out and started over.

I chained my first row, did the v stitch and started the granite stitch pattern. It looks great !! however....(isn't there always a 'however?')....the starting chain part appears smaller, so the piece has sort of an arc to it. Is this because my tension/guage is changing? Can someone tell me how to correct this? If I start with a looser first chain, will that help? Does first chain row always have less give to it?

Nah, no however.... the piece does in fact 'shrink' when you do the insert band pattern. This is where it will accentuate the waistline. Also giving the hoodie some shape to it.

Yelping here... :lol Sorry, couldn't resist, lol!

I've been following this thread as I am thinking about trying this pattern myself. But in answer to your question, yes the starting chain will often tend to be tighter than the rest of your stitches, which is why it is often recommended to make your chain with a larger hook than the pattern calls for and then switch to the proper size when you start the first row. This is especially valuable if you tend to work your stitches tight. That should help give you more ease along that edge.

And as Lady Garnet pointed out, when you get to the insert band, expect your piece to "shrink", it is part of the pattern there.

Good luck! Don't know how soon I'll have a chance to get around to this one, the yardage requirement is a bit daunting for me at this time.

the starting chain will often tend to be tighter than the rest of your stitches, which is why it is often recommended to make your chain with a larger hook than the pattern calls for and then switch to the proper size when you start the first row. .

THANK YOU! :) This is invaluable information. Thanks also to those who wrote in help, or yelp. :lol I ended up ripping out what I had done and rechecked my guage. Then went with a larger hook. I think I have it worked out now. It also helped looking at those who have already done parts of their hoodies. Thanks for posting pictures, y'all. :hook

Ok here's how it ended up looking on me...(hehe ..the back pattern is upside down from my "mess up and improvision", but really can't tell unless your looking for the mistake.)

If I had to do it over again - I'd make it an open jacket...:wbrr

Edit: whoops - sorry I used Bernat Denimstyle yarn (at first I didn't like the yarn, but now that it's all together and washed I like the feel).

http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=denimstyle

http://img274.imageshack.us/img274/7249/frontcomplete1ln.jpg

http://img274.imageshack.us/img274/2225/backcomplete0oi.jpg

That is gorgeous, April! It looks very nice on you. :-) You did a really , really, really nice job. Thanks for posting the photo.

I have my back piece finished. I kind of like the idea of making it open in the front. What would be the best way to do that to maintain the insert pattern?

That turned out really nice! :manyheart

I've been contemplating this pattern for awhile, but the amount of yarn the pattern calls for kind of scares me! :eek How close did your project work out to the amount of yarn specified for your size in this pattern, may I ask? Was it pretty much on track?

I'm also still trying to figure out which size would be the best one for me to make for myself. They stated the pictured version on the model was the 45 inch one, which probably explains why she looks like she's swimming in the darn thing - she's a tiny gal (I seem to recall most items she's modelled have been either small or extra small)! I don't know why they couldn't pick a model that the sweater would have fit better, or had a smaller version of the sweater to use with this particular model, this one makes neither look flattering! And it sure makes it that much more confusing trying to figure out which size is best for me! I remember reading that others were having similar issues with deciding which size they should work too, so I know I'm not unique here.

But anyway, back to the yardage requirements. Taking the info given in the pattern and selecting, say, the 45 inch size, I would need 2,768 yards of yarn for this project! :eek:eek:eek Is that right??? :think

Maybe it's because I've never made a full-blown sweater like this before, but I didn't think it would take as much yarn to make a sweater as it would to make an afghan. I'd like people's thoughts on this, as I had been considering picking up some more Wool-ease from JoAnns this week while it's on sale for $1.77 each. I've got 6 balls in 3 shades of pink and thought I'd like to make a colorblock version of this hoodie.

Sorry to be so long-winded! :confused

It looks great April! I love how we're all using different yarns than the one it calls for. It shows that you can substitute the out-of-price-range yarns and still have a beautiful product!

I've put off finishing the sleeves for mine because our weather is terribly hot. I hope to finish it over my Thanksgiving break next week while I'm wasting the days away in the country.

Oh, that looks great, April! :yayAnd seeing it put together and actually on a person for a full front shot makes it a lot easier to grasp how it all goes together than the shots of the model in the magazine did. I didn't quite understand the schematic diagram.

I am so going to have to make this...

Archived