Interweave's Easy Hoodie Crochet-Along [IN PROGRESS]

Hooker

I am definitely in this one. :) I was gifted the yarn by my mom after I found what I wanted to use on sale at Herrschner's. I'm about halfway through the back panel and am loving the pattern! My mother-in-law is coming into town later this week so I jumped on starting it while I had a bit of free time.

I'm using TLC Cotton Plus in Moss, which is a great "mossy" green color.

Wow, it's really looking good and you say it's easy? may I ask what size you are making it in, I'm always afraid to make a sweater and then not have it fit my hips when closed.........all that work for someone else..........I don't think so!!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm making it in XL. I measured my bust circumference and 49" would put it about as loose as the one on the girl in the photo. I could fit two fingers between my bust and the measuring tape which would give me room to wear it over something heavier than a t-shirt.

The back panel is coming along nicely so far, but I may change my mind once I get to some of the front panels. :P I love the "granite stitch" pattern you use throughout most of the hoodie. It's basically two half double crochets together.

Here's a pic of my progress so far -

easyhoodieback1.jpg

The insert band makes the waist so it's smaller than the rest of the pattern. I guess I've got about 10" of the 27" back panel and it took me about three hours, maybe more.

I think I'm making it in XL. I measured my bust circumference and 49" would put it about as loose as the one on the girl in the photo. I could fit two fingers between my bust and the measuring tape which would give me room to wear it over something heavier than a t-shirt.

The back panel is coming along nicely so far, but I may change my mind once I get to some of the front panels. :P I love the "granite stitch" pattern you use throughout most of the hoodie. It's basically two half double crochets together.

Here's a pic of my progress so far -

easyhoodieback1.jpg

The insert band makes the waist so it's smaller than the rest of the pattern. I guess I've got about 10" of the 27" back panel and it took me about three hours, maybe more.

Thanks Tiffany, I would make an XL as well and I like the idea that the waist gets a bit of a cinch to it, I need room for my hips and because I'm high waisted I would probably make the part from the waist to the shoulder shorter than from the waist to the bottom. I love the color you chose and you're right about the texture of the stitch, a real beauty, can't wait to see the finished hoodie :hook

Hey there

I've also started the Hoodie, as of yesterday. I'm attempting the XL using Bernat denimstyle (white/off white color) - if this turns out ok, then I might attempt another with a different yarn. This was fairly cheap, so we'll see how it works. The feel isn't quite what I was wanting, but it might still work.

I'll post pictures as soon as I make some more progress.... I'm still working on the initial back and having gotten to the insert band yet, so it's kinda plain looking yet. The granite stich is really easy...woohooo!!

This might just be an easy pattern after all :clap

Looking good Tiffany!!! I do like that Moss color, I might have to try that yarn.

April in OK

Alrighty,

I messed up somewhere and I'm improvising. After the insert pattern my work really started to fan out, soooo I turned it around and continued from the supposed bottom. Oh well, if I can get through this once and actually make something I can wear - I'll try try again. Also I'm making the biggist number on the pattern...maybe that's larger than an xl?..hehe Tis ok.

Here's what I have so far (not the best picture) ~~ too lazy to try to figure out what went wrong ~~

:confused

hoodieback9hw.jpg

What a great project. Would love to sign up, but have too many WIP's going on now. When I finally catch up, I will need to make it for my daughter. That is just her style. I hope you post pictures when your done. Gonna have to go out and get that magazine (like I need another.LOL):D

Alrighty,

I messed up somewhere and I'm improvising. After the insert pattern my work really started to fan out, soooo I turned it around and continued from the supposed bottom.

I noticed when I was working on the insert pattern that I really had to count my stitches every round. I always felt like I was getting a few extra stitches in. It looks like you ended up with too many stitches toward the end of the insert pattern which would make the granite stitch increase in stitches also, making it fan out. You should have the same numbers of v-stitch pairs in the bottom band of the granite stitch as the top.

ya I followed the correction, and I will admit I didn't carefully count the stiches, but some how I did indeed end up with way more.

I'm working on the front pannels now... Not sweating the back, I think I can fudge it and learn from my mistakes for my next one (going to try to make a small for my daughter....next) if I'm motivated. I just bought a ton of homespun on sale and am going to make some afgahns for Christmas presents.

WOW! I must have fallen behind somewhere! I need to get started on this project! What yarns is everyone using? I will make a mad dash later this week to run out and get the yarn needed! I would love to actually make something for myself and not as a gift or to sell in my shoppe or at the Yule Bazzar!

I'm using Cascade 220 in three different colors (couldn't tell you what they are though - one is rusty reddish, another is pine greenish, and another has a teal-blue sort of tone to it, but dark). Each have little flecks of color in it. It means I'll have to hand wash the thing and I'm wondering if it's going to look like crud with the different colors, but we'll see. I'm hoping it's not something I'll want to frog after it's done. I'm trying my hardest to finish a poncho tonight so I can start this tomorrow.

Speaking of using three different colors, do you think I should do wide bands of color, or sort of random width stripes with the colors? I'm not quite sure how I'm going to approach this.

Ok, so time to copy the pattern out from the magazine, so I don't destroy it. lol

As well as determine what kind of yarn I am going to use for this...not to mention what color!?!?!? Hmmmm. Knowing me, most likely BLACK! It's so useful and goes with just about everything! :-D Though then again maybe a color that goes well for autumn and spring...hmmmmm any thoughts?

I'm using Cascade 220 in three different colors (couldn't tell you what they are though - one is rusty reddish, another is pine greenish, and another has a teal-blue sort of tone to it, but dark). Each have little flecks of color in it. It means I'll have to hand wash the thing and I'm wondering if it's going to look like crud with the different colors, but we'll see. I'm hoping it's not something I'll want to frog after it's done. I'm trying my hardest to finish a poncho tonight so I can start this tomorrow.

Speaking of using three different colors, do you think I should do wide bands of color, or sort of random width stripes with the colors? I'm not quite sure how I'm going to approach this.

Wow that is a lot of colors goin on there....

Well I wimped out (as you saw in my earlier pic) and used a whiteish color.

It will certainly be interesting to see - I'm thinking the random width stripes might be pleasing to the eye.

I've done a few more pieces (fronts and working on the sleeves now) I certainly needed the "head start" as I seem to not have much time to crochet and am kinda slow anyway.

I think I'm about to be confused on the construction of the pieces, but I'll deal with that in a bit. (as this is my first real clothing item to wear)

Crochet on!!! Can't wait to see everyone's progress :clap

I'm such a great coordinator, I started this CAL thread and I can't even start it this week. My husband has been out of town all week and between school and the kids' activities I haven't been able to start it. I'm hoping this weekend will work out. Maybe while I'm watching the first game of the World Series.

GO SOX!

I'm such a great coordinator, I started this CAL thread and I can't even start it this week. My husband has been out of town all week and between school and the kids' activities I haven't been able to start it. I'm hoping this weekend will work out. Maybe while I'm watching the first game of the World Series.

GO SOX!

:clap Yaaay! I too will be starting it this weekend, as that is when I will have the time to go yarn shopping!:hook

Well since I got the magazine sent over from the US so I could make this hoody I'm actually going to start it :)- I've been looking for a big project to do inbetween my smaller christmas gifts- I always end up not being able to decide what to do next so a big project will be helpful to pass the time whilst I'm deciding :) I actually started my own version of the colourwaves topper in the same issue last night as my 'big' project and finished it this afternoon :lol

Will go raid my yarn stash and see if I have anything I like to get started with,not sure how long its going to take my to get it finished though- there isn't a time limit of this CAL is there??:lol

Started this last night but when I went to buy more yarn they didn't have enough so bought a different yarn - so glad I only had time to get 4 rows done last night :lol

Was no way I was going to be able to afford to get the yarn used for the pattern but thought I would look to see how much it would cost me anyway- £120!! (about $213) Am still in shock now :eek

Was no way I was going to be able to afford to get the yarn used for the pattern but thought I would look to see how much it would cost me anyway- £120!! (about $213) Am still in shock now :eek

WOW- I didn't even go as far as pricing it, I knew it was going to be WaaaaaY to much for me - especially for a first time "assembly project".

I've gotten quite a few pieces done and am working on my second (and last ;) ) sleeve. I hope to (cross my fingers) get it done and constructed this weekend...we'll see. I really need to study how I'm going to do that.

I can't wait. The yarn I'm using( Bernat denum style) has ended up feeling better since I first began, so hopefully it will feel comfy.

Jpr54_ : all I did was find something that was near the same weight yarn and is used in making the same type clothing pieces.... I think it's going to work out fine for me. Not sure if that helps or not, but maybe.

:hook crochet on!

Ok, so I started this tonight while watching the World Series (GO SOX!). I got past the insert band on the back and a few more rows of the granite stitch. Complicating and slowing things down are the fact that I chose 3 colors to work with. Looking at the assembly, I have NO idea how the end product will look, considering that I'm going to have stripes running both vertically and horizontally. I'm hoping it looks somewhat eccentric without looking totally crappy. We'll see I guess. I suppose I could always do it in one color, but I made so much progress, I think I'll just keep plugging along and see what happens. I'll be posting pictures on Monday.

Ok here is my progress so far (I made it just past the insert band part on the back). It seems to be working up fairly quick. Quicker now that I'm more comfortable with the hdc.

hoodie1.jpg

I'm going to have to modify the pattern a little bit though to allow for my stripes. :think Specifically the side pieces and possibly the hood pieces. However it would just be a change of working them horizontally instead of vertically.

Amy that is really pretty! I think I might have to try to make this one. It looks beyond my skill level, but I'm going to try. The worst that can happen is that I will have to rip it out, right? Keep posting photos, it motivates me.

Kippiann

Archived