Interweave's Easy Hoodie Crochet-Along [IN PROGRESS]

Hooker

It is SO not above your skill level. It is marked as "Easy" in Interweave Crochet. Although it did take me a few times reading through it to feel like I had a handle on how everything will come together (still don't know about the hood, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it).

As long as you try it in only one color. I got a little adventurous and I'm hoping it doesn't have disastrous results!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Amy. I will definitely only be using one color! I ordered some yarn and as soon as it gets here I will get started.

I really like the colors you chose. I am interested in seeing your progress photos. I give you lots of credit because I would drive myself insane trying to decide where to place each color. You are good. :-)

I give you lots of credit because I would drive myself insane trying to decide where to place each color.

I'm kinda letting the pattern tell me where to switch. I have three colors and I figured if every other row is bigger, then the colors should "rotate" through the pattern fairly evenly. I figured I shouldn't sweat it too much. If I do, I'll wind up giving up on it, so it's sort of like a discovery to me.

Amy- I love the colours you have picked and the way you've switched the colours is great. Will be very interested to see how you put the front together- looks like it may be a challenge, but with the colours you've chosen I'm sure it will be worth it :)

kippian- the pattern is pretty simple to follow so I'm sure you'll do fine :) I think it's already been mentioned before but it helps to make sure you count your stitches when working on the insert panel- I'd got all the way up to row 15 on the insert band last night and realised I'd missed a stitch or two right at the beginning.

I've 'treated' myself this weekend to some time to work on this big project (despite having 2 shrugs to make- one for my mum and one for her friend, not to mention all the birthday/xmas stuff I have on my to do list).

I've done just past the insert band and despite not counting my stitches on the insert band the first time- cos it 'looked right' :lol I've been really enjoying this pattern. I really don't want to put it down but I have other things I really need to work on to.

I've adjusted the pattern slightly to make it an inch or two bigger around the hips (I hate that cling). Am also considering changing the front so that it completely opens- but will think more about that when I get the back done.

pic of my progress

It's looking great Mel! I only had to count when finishing the insert band (the 2nd square mesh part), since I somehow added a stitch or two. Now I'm just into the hdc back.

I was thinking about making it open in front too, but I have enough alterations to make on this pattern, I think I'd better keep it as is.

Yah I went to price the yarn.. and well 22 balls was going to be roughly $242 plus tax! Can you even imagine?!?! So I started to look for another suitable yarn, Amy I think I will use the same as you Cascade 220.

Somewhere along the way I have not been updated when there is a post to this thread *screams wildly* Oh I feel so outta the loop!!!

Anyway, Amy I referred to your bolg in mine, I hope that is ok. Also, I need to get on it and make my blog more interesting with links and such to the fave blogs that I read etc etc etc

http://wickedstitches.blogspot.com/

is mine btw...

BluesForCp - I got it at my LYS. Can yours order it?

GarnetMoon - Link away!

Also, an update. I have all the pieces made except the sleeves. I'll start assembling the body tomorrow. However, I have my doubts about whether it will fit properly or not. I'm tall and I have a feeling it's not going to hit as low as I would like.

I've finished the back panel and the front panel (the first bit of the granite stitch + insert band). I've started on the first of the side panels. Here's a pic of the back panel -

easyhoodiebackpanel.jpg

I'm itching to get started on the rest of the pieces. I love doing the back panel first because it seems like it will have taken the longest to finish.

I'm going to my family reunion this weekend so I can't wait to work on it during the drive and while visiting. :)

I'm frustrated right now. I just have the sleeves to finish but I know that it will be too small on me. My gauge is spot on so it's not that, I think I chose a size a smidge too small on me. Don't get me wrong, I'll be able to get it on, but it's gonna be snug unless I lose some weight. The curses of being tall and somewhat overweight, I should have just gone for the biggest size and be done with it. Maybe my cousin might like it. I don't know. I guess I didn't look close enough because I did the size on the model thinking it would fit. Obviously I wasn't thinking.

Here's the thing, doing a test fit it's shorter than I would like, the waist will fit, but I don't think the hips will. The hood will be decorative, because it's just too small (I think that might be a design flaw though).

For those of you still working on it, don't get discouraged!

This is my first clothing item I attempted and obviously I have to get used to how sizing works in a pattern! LOL! I'm still going to do the sleeves and finish this weekend. Don't know what I'll do when it's done though. I did make it with wool so maybe I can shrink it and give it to my 7 year old to wear?

I do think that the pattern was a little on the small side- when I'd done the first couple of rows on the back I could see that it was going to be a little small so I started again adding a 6 extra stitches to get an extra inch or so.

I'm not sure what you could do to make it fit better- perhaps you could add a side panel at the bottom too to give it a little more room (you could add the decorative panel to these side panels so that it continues all around the sweater). If the waist fits in the right place you could add some rows of granite stitch worked around to make it a little longer.

Not sure if this will work I think better when I've got the pieces in front of me if that makes sense.

Mel, that's not a bad idea. I'll have to make extra panels but if that will help it fit correctly, it should be ok. I might make two for each side so both the front and back are extended the same amount and I don't run into trouble attaching the arms.

Thanks for helping me think about it more clearly. I guess I have a little more work than I originally thought.

Overall though? This is a very easy sweater to do once you realize how everything gets attached.

Overall though? This is a very easy sweater to do once you realize how everything gets attached.

Ya, I've been bad...kinda avoiding it (putting it off till I have some quiet time to figure it out - nice excuse)

Nice back piece Tiffany. I like that green.

Can't wait to see everyones!

Now that I have the back done, I just don't want to stop! I am terrified of joining the pieces together, but I think as long as my kids keep quiet and my husband doesn't ask when dinner's going to be ready, I can get through that first row just fine. :lol

I do think that the pattern was a little on the small sideif that

I was planning on making the same size as the model also. I haven't started mine yet as I am still waiting for my supplies to arrive. Could you be more specific on how 'off' the pattern is via size so I know before I start? I guess what I'm asking is what size do you think the model is wearing as in 'off the rack' sizes...6? 18?

I've never crocheted a garment before so I'm still kind of freaked out about trying this one.

I was planning on making the same size as the model also. I haven't started mine yet as I am still waiting for my supplies to arrive. Could you be more specific on how 'off' the pattern is via size so I know before I start? I guess what I'm asking is what size do you think the model is wearing as in 'off the rack' sizes...6? 18?

I've never crocheted a garment before so I'm still kind of freaked out about trying this one.

Right... I was wondering how much smaller the pattern runs, as I am making the second to the largest one, and if I will need to make the largest one, my dye lot will sooo be off.

I too have never done an actual piece together garment, so I am flipping out as well.

I just started this hoodies last night. For my mom!

I'm doing it in Paton's fresco (a tape yarn), and it looks very similar to the one in the book. Very cheap. I will be bummed if I have to buy more of this yarn, because I just made my sister a cape with it and I'm sick of looking at it!!

Since I have never made a garment before, I still need some hand holding in regards to choosing a size for this sweater. I am a 10-12 in regular clothes. I was thinking I needed the third size (45) but am not certain. Any advice?

I don't want to do all this work and end up with a sweater that is too small! aaahhhhhh! Please tell me there are others with this angst too! :eek

I just finished that back. Whew! What a bore. I'm waiting until someone else posts pics of the next part until I get started. I'm not sure I understand the instructions. And I need a break.

I personally quite enjoy doing the back section. It is a nifty pattern stitch that is pretty w/o being too terribly difficult, nor bulky as crochet can sometimes do.:cheer

I will post a piccie of my progress tonight (still on back panel) as well as what yarn I am using etc!

Since I have never made a garment before, I still need some hand holding in regards to choosing a size for this sweater. I am a 10-12 in regular clothes. I was thinking I needed the third size (45) but am not certain. Any advice?

I don't want to do all this work and end up with a sweater that is too small! aaahhhhhh! Please tell me there are others with this angst too! :eek

I am having big time angst over this! I tend to stitch pretty tight, to get gauge I am using a K hook. I am making the largest size (52). The yarn I am using is Lion Brand wool ease in Chestnut Heather. I am loving the color. However, I am terribly frightened it may not fit. Ahhhhh, the joys of making an actual garment!:eek

You can see a pic of my so called progress on my blog...see sig line.

I am having big time angst over this!

We can angst together! I, too, am worried about the size. I have put mine down because of it!. Your back looks beautiful. The color is really nice. I wish there was more guidance in how I should measure myself to ensure I am making somewhat near the correct size. Is this where faith comes in? ha ha ! You keep going on yours and I will pick mine back up, okay? we can do this we can do this we can do this!

:cheer

Archived