Looking for a good hook case

I have a plastic, tupperware-type box that is clear, rectangular, and the lid has four snapping tabs to hold it secure. All business, but it's sooo perfect for me! I have hooks, needles, scissors, small yarn cuttings to serve as stitch markers, and even a small thing of fabric paint in there for the bottoms of slippers.

I have two traditional needle cases that my Aunt and DH gave me and I use them for my project bags when I am out and about :crocheting. However, for my home :crocheting I just got a kids plastic pencil box during the back to school sales for $1.00 and I am loving this thing. I can reach in grab a hook, set it down and grab another item from the box without having to open the case and slide the hook into its place. I can cover it or leave it open. I have a plastic shoe box on the table near where I work that keeps some of the larger supplies that I use that I recycled from another project.

I have "Crochet Dude's" case. Love it!

I got mine online through Simplicitiy's web site but I have also seen them at Joann's

If you get Joann's coupons you can get a great deal on a really nice case.

I have two hook cases--one sewn one (it was a gift) that holds *ALL* my hooks--I love the way it keeps them all in one place, in very little space, and they are organized from smallest (.05mm) to largest (P, I think). Previously, I kept them, like pencils, in a jar, but this is much, much better, because I keep this nearby all the time, and I can quickly find a hook I need.

My second hook case is actually a leather pen case with three slots (meant to hold pens or ink cartridges). It's the perfect size for hooks, and I keep my favorite, most-frequently-used, or current-in-use hooks there, in my project bag. It also has a flat outside pocket on the back, where I can slip a small pair of scissors. I've had it for years, and it's definitely extremely functional.

I think one of the reasons I like my box so much is that I'm in LOVE with the Clover Soft Touch Hooks, and I've not seen many patterns to fit their handle. I'm sure you could adjust the sizing fairly easily? I love the hook case pattern at GourmetCrochet.com though and just found another pretty one on Ravelry/Etsy. Sooo many to choose from~LOL!

Thank you so much! I appreciate it, and can't wait to try them, or look them up! I love the pencil box idea. I was thinking of an eyeglasses case, but it was too short--so a pencil box, or the tupperware box, or the pen case--of course. But I do want to get an actual organizer, too, so I will check out the others. I looked up the one on CourmetCrochet, and it is pretty! I'll have have to see what the wristlet is--sounds like a creative idea. All good ideas! Thank you!

Thank you so much! I appreciate it, and can't wait to try them, or look them up! I love the pencil box idea. I was thinking of an eyeglasses case, but it was too short--so a pencil box, or the tupperware box, or the pen case--of course. But I do want to get an actual organizer, too, so I will check out the others. I looked up the one on CourmetCrochet, and it is pretty! I'll have have to see what the wristlet is--sounds like a creative idea. All good ideas! Thank you!

I have both, they serve two purposes. I think its a great idea to have different cases for different purposes. I like the more traditional cases for traveling. They are flatter and take up less space in my project bag. However, for home I like my pencil case for ease of access.

I have this one, I really like it, it's pretty and it works very well with a lot of space. The one thing I wish is that it had a zipper for my measuring tape and stitch markers (I had the stitch markers attached to a safety pin, so I just pinned that to the inside, which works very well).

In light of wanting a zippered pouch, if I was going to get different one, I would want this one.

I have used all sorts of "hook cases" during the years but I usually use one of my two cases that house my Boye Master sets: http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/073270.html

Of course this doesn't work for my wooden carved hooks, comfort hooks, or lighted hook. Those are currently in a zippered makeup bag but I feel like I need something better so my wooden ones don't get scratched up.

post-36681-13589768469_thumb.gif

I have used different methods of storing hooks, pencils, paper ect. I even have an old plastic zipper case that I got from either curtains or a pillow case. I also like going to the goodwill and seeing what i could use for storage. I found a cute little square tin one time and I use that for my stitch markers, measuring tape, scissors and tapesty needles. :)

I've been gifted lately with some lovely hook holders but I was using a tackle box. This isn't the exact one, as the one I have is smaller but it came from Walmart for $2 or $3. The blue dividers are removable so you can make the slots however big you want. I have a place for hooks, one for scissors, one for beads for eyes, a place for needles and stitch markers.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flambeau-Tuff-Tainer-Tackle-Box-with-Zerust-5007/16326922

I have one that I bought at Walmart that looks just like the one DebraKay has. I prefer the Susan Bates hooks and have doubles and even triples of some sizes. I keep hooks from F-J on one side and on the other side I keep some of the smaller steel hooks from 3 upwards and my B hook, D's and E's on the other side. I also stitched up a hook-roll to hold some of my Boye hooks and a smaller hook-roll for my small steel hooks.

That pencil case isn't so good to use for your hooks. You need one that has a flap that folds over the top of your hooks or they can fall out when the case is rolled up. Here are several links on how to make one. You can probably even find more if you googled it. I rec'd one in a swap that was like a book and it didn't have a flap. At first I thought how nice but the hooks kept falling out. A roll with a flap is the best type to sew.

http://todaywemade.co.uk/2008/02/crochet-hook-roll-tutorial/

http://pugnotes.blogspot.com/2010/01/crochet-hook-case-tutorial.html

http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-crochet-hook-case/2011/01/11/

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2007/03/how_to_sew_a_crochet_hook_case.html

http://www.planetjune.com/blog/roll-up-crochet-hook-case-tutorial/

I have the lite up hooks and the handles are thicker than regular hooks, so I made a crocheted case and since each size hook handle is a different color I made each slot the color of the handle so when reaching for a hook I know by the color of the slot what size hook is in it. Since it is crocheted I keep my sewing needles on it as well.

Archived