uses for cotton yarn

SharonB551

You can make a Stash Buster Tote- Sue (turtlelvr) designed it- and is available on Ravelry or her Etsy shop!!! It comes out great in cotton. Check out the SBT's on the Tote Addict CAL here at the ville.

Here's a link to the pattern on Ravelry:http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stash-buster-tote

I use it for everything! :lol I :manyheart it! I have used it for totes, purses, toys and my friendshipghan is being made in cotton squares. Lots of things you can use it for. :hook

Totes! I just made a stash buster tote in cotton and an "I" hook and absolutely love it! I also have purchased lace weight cotton to make a little summer top for my ggd in FL, diaper bag for her mom that will be having a boy in August. Will get more of that weight to make a pair of socks with too. Love the feel of it. There are many things you can make from cotton besides cloths and potholders.

Anything you use ww yarn for. I make dolls, doll cloths, place mats, totes, pot and trash can covers. Once you get out of the cotton has to be used for pot holders and dish cloths, the uses are endless.:hook

Well Sharon I have to say I am right there with you. lol I bought enough to make a market bag once and decided when I got it filled it was about hanging on the ground when I walked home from the store so I put the cotton away.....yes, I know I didn't need to put that MUCH in it! lol I did buy some colors to match what I had and made bibs for New Beginnings pregnancy center over on the charity threads but all my children and grands are past that stage so not sure if they worked out. I only use Trasan cloths for dishcloth(they never seem to get stinky like others do) so dont use the cotton for much else. I shall give some of these suggestions a try too!

I have a drooly baby and like cotton crocheted bibs. They work up quickly and absorb nicely once they have been washed a couple of times. I do find when making a bib, you have to make sure to do a closed stitch (I <3 single crochet) and use a small hook. I usually use a 3.5mm or 4 mm hook with worsted weight cotton for my bibs.

One thing about bibs, is if you crochet ties on them, the know where the ties join is very cumbersome and tends to bother babies (well, at least mine.) I prefer to do a wider neck part and close with a button.

I especially like to make bathcloths (washcloths). I make 2 different kinds. One kind is tight, all in sc so I can steam my face without having my fingernails go through to my face. The other kind is for washing, and I use patterns with a good balance between sc and dc so they will soap up plus be scrubby at the same time, and they aren't harsh.

I use cotton yarn to make coasters, as well as amulet bags. I think I have made just about everything with cotton yarn. I also use the beadspread weight yarn and make the name doilies. I have on on the hook now as a Christmas gift for my oldest daughter.

LNsGirl

With all the sizes of cotton from fine thread to worsted weight, it can be used for almost anything. My favorite is to make purses as the worsted cotton doesn't stretch out from the weight of items in it like other yarns do. And with the wonderful size 3 and 5 threads it is a good weight for apparel too!!!

Don't pass up the cotton blends either, they can be just as soft as you would like.

Archived