Deployment blanket.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so here is the weeks I have caught up on. Just so you guys can see Im back to stitching!!

First, Thanksgiving. A lovely Autumn mix with white,

Next, the finish of November, a love orange and maroon! I dunno why I love it. LOL

Next, a blue, and pine green. Reminds me of the start of winter...that chilly air, the pines nice and green

Next, A white, Like snow, and pine green.

Next, Green and red. I know off our color choices, but only right to have the holidays play a part.

The next one is a red, green and white mix, with White as the second strand, Im working on bordering the unbordered and then starting that. Ill post a picture when its done.. :D

post-40223-135897736367_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897736371_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897736374_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897736377_thumb.jpg

post-40223-13589773638_thumb.jpg

Okay so here is the weeks I have caught up on. Just so you guys can see Im back to stitching!!

First, Thanksgiving. A lovely Autumn mix with white,

Next, the finish of November, a love orange and maroon! I dunno why I love it. LOL

Next, a blue, and pine green. Reminds me of the start of winter...that chilly air, the pines nice and green

Next, A white, Like snow, and pine green.

Next, Green and red. I know off our color choices, but only right to have the holidays play a part.

The next one is a red, green and white mix, with White as the second strand, Im working on bordering the unbordered and then starting that. Ill post a picture when its done.. :D

Great job!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay ladies. Ill be posting some pictures after I spend some time with my family, this lovely sunday afternoon. I HAVE BLISTERED through some yarn these past couple of days.

I have however noticed, there is some changes in the yards of my skiens. Sadly, some of them arent holding up. Like....I was short on four of them. Its okay, Ive been able to work around it...as you guys shall see with these lovely strips coming about. Ill post pictures here in a few hours!

Woohoo on the progress of your blanket. Even more woohoo is your almost done with this year long misery. Almost time to order the welcome home banner! Many girls order there's around the 3 month mark and usually get it in time. :)

Sorry, my stupid camera was dead. So I had to charge it.

He doesnt want a banner, or fanfare. or anything special. He just wants a normal home act like he never left homecoming. Guess thats the way it goes.

Okay grabbing my camera...!

:clap

Here we go!

First up, Christmas colors, white and a verigrated red white green.

Next, A Teal and golden yellow

then we start the next month, which for me was a little dark, Jan,

First Brown and purple

then a bright! yellow and green, both pastels

then its called berry something, I dunno, it was just really pretty with black.

If you take a look, all of them look funny, some have extra boarder yarn as strips, because of short yarn, the Yellow has four rows (two at each end) of just plain green, ran out of Yellow, and the purple and brown has a SINGLE brown row LOL and the Mixed berry one has rows of duel thread of the verigrated yarn.

post-40223-13589773975_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897739754_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897739758_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897739761_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897739764_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897739767_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897739771_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897739774_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897739777_thumb.jpg

Sorry, my stupid camera was dead. So I had to charge it.

He doesnt want a banner, or fanfare. or anything special. He just wants a normal home act like he never left homecoming. Guess thats the way it goes.

Okay grabbing my camera...!

:clap

My husband said the same thing. I took him to a nice dinner (his favorite restraunt) and lit some candles that night. Not a huge fuss but he still enjoyed it. :) I think the small things that they missed is what they enjoy most about coming home. :)

• 1 month later...

Well ladies, after leave came, which he left on Easter Sunday I was informed that basically I have two months estimated of course and well he asked me to stop on the blanket, and work on other little things to keep me busy so I don't worry over the strips. So as requested ill be stopping. Thank you guys for staying with me through this, and all the wonderful encouragement. I'm excited that I'm almost done!!! Hard to believe I've made it this long!! Thank you again.

Lori, I was glad to hear he was home for Easter, that must have been nice for you. I'm happy to hear you've given this your best shot - making this blanket was a huge undertaking and commitment for you and it did it's job, and that was to keep you busy thinking about something else while he was away. It sure kept you busy! You were rattling off those colorful strips like crazy for months, using some pretty oddball combos of colors to make some gorgeous stripes each week. I so looked forward to your posts, to see what you had come up with and to follow your progress. That blanket grew by yards every time you posted pics! You did a great job on it and put a lot of thought into the colors of each new stripe... nice work!

Did you finally end up with 3 blankets? I hope they keep you both warm and snuggly for years to come!

A few months ago you mentioned you were accumulating quite the variety of colorful scraps. Maybe you'd like to make this, the Chapeau Afghan for daughter, it would be a fun project to use up some of those leftover colors and make a really special blanket for her. I think it would be fun to do, too, making all these fancy little colorful hats after all those stripes, haha.

Best wishes to you and your family! You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Im finishing the whipsitching on the last of the strips now. Ill have about three blankets. They are lovely and warm. I use the first one now as a couch blanket to cuddle with, the second is used mostly by my daughter, and the dogs.

The hat blanket is very pretty, but sadly my daughter wouldnt like it. the more designs in the blanket the more happy she is. She likes them kinda everywhere. She really likes to see a much of different things that I can make up, so I gotta find something more along those lines, great idea tho. My mom might like that blanket, and I have a chest (small of course) full of scrap yarn, so maybe I can stitch that out and make something for her. No idea what at this point. Ive started a lavender summer shawl using the All shawl pattern, by Doris Chan. Im using baby yarn so its light but drapes nicely, and I had a solider make a request for a heart shaped pillow as well to sleep with. Mostly on the flights LOL. So I have little tasks, like he asked to keep me busy.

Oh Lori, such lovely work! So glad you are moving on now, to simpler things, but this sure served it's purpose (s), and they will all be stunning, no matter where they begin and end! Glad to hear the time is nearing as well, that he will home again, and things then can straighten out a bit in that respect! Best of luck to you both, and thanks for the lovely pics and progress reports, even though we all know you have had a lot on your plate lately! Looking forward to your other projects and pics being posted as well!!

• 3 months later...

Just read through this whole thread - wow! You really did some work to be proud of there, I think. So very glad your sweetie came home safe and sound! My baby brother and my husband's younger brother are both Army SF Medics. I do not enjoy having either of them deployed.

I've thought about making something for my brother over the years, but it's very hard... He's not an easy person to design for. I just haven't been able to imagine anything where I go "oh yeah, he'll love that!" (One time I thought I got there, but then he left it at our parents' house when he moved to NC...)

Ok, enough self-pity. :) It's great that you had this way to feel close to him while he was gone! From what you've said, it sounds like you two have something really special together. Also, your color combinations are gorgeous!! :manyheart

(Sigh. Now I've used up half my yarning time for the night reading posts. *sniff* I couldn't stop though! I had to see what was going to happen next.)

Archived