Deployment blanket.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you ladies, to be honest, I just see colors I like and match them together, if they look good via skein I buy them lol. I'll grab one in his shade, one in mine and Ta da, if they look good apart side by side, then I think they look good together. I'm weird, I love color, and the more of it the better it is. They are his favorites and mine, mostly blues blacks whites and greys, with yellow hints for him. Pinks purples and pastels for me. It's what I like, what he likes and they mesh amazingly! Thank goodness lol. :cheer

This week is going to drag on as I wait to work on the next strip, I can't believe I added a week to the count down lol. I was just eager for it to be over lol. Thanks ladies I love and adore all the encouragement and watchers. It nice having somebody around that can comment on it. :manyheart usually he does but he's not here to say something, and he said he wants to wait to see it when he gets home, but he can see the progress on Facebook pictures lol. Silly boy.

Well Friday I'll start the new strip and update when it's done. :) see y'all then!:yay

Yeah! I think you're going to be able to cover the whole Marine Corps with it if you make 48 strips! Maybe not the Army, they have a few more folks than the Marines.

But I have to say, I just LOVE this idea. If I didn't have two in the works already, I would have started this one too. Maybe just enough weeks to get me through the hot Arizona summer!

Oh my, been several days since your last post, and im not seeing the next strip! I have come to count on one a week, lol HOpe all is well, and you are hooking away! Love the doggie too!

I'm with you neighbor............ I'm a little worried!

I hope she is just crocheting like crazy. :hook

:heart

:mug

I'm alive ladies I swear lol!! I'm bordering week 6 now! I'll probably be done tonight and I'll get pictures posted. But remember one strip a week, so it won't start the next one until Friday! Lol. Which is the start of a new week. But I go shopping for new yarn soon ! :)

That's my Noel. She's our Christmas baby. Always crying for her daddy. :(

Well off to Hook! :crocheting

:devil

Oh my, I just found this thread and I absolutely :manyheart this blanket!!! I want to make one too. I just need to finish a couple of things up first.

I really hope she is ok and that she posts another picture soon. This is GORGEOUS and so inspirational!

I'm alive ladies I swear lol!! I'm bordering week 6 now! I'll probably be done tonight and I'll get pictures posted. But remember one strip a week, so it won't start the next one until Friday! Lol. Which is the start of a new week. But I go shopping for new yarn soon ! :)

That's my Noel. She's our Christmas baby. Always crying for her daddy. :(

Well off to Hook! :crocheting

:devil

:lol There she is!!!

okay ladies!! HERE SHE BLOWS LOL yep two days of stitching to get some stress out. I cant wait until friday to start the night strip! WOO!! sooo pretty!

colors are pink, and medium country blue. very rustic! :clap

I love this one! :manyheart

next week, dark raspberry and peacock! WOO makes me feel colorfully morbid! lol :devil

post-40223-135897678923_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897679188_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897679191_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897679194_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897679197_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897679201_thumb.jpg

Oh my goodness! I got a present in the mail today! My honey, being the manly man he is, has been listening to my complaints about the dogs picking up my balls of yarn and running around the house, taking apart my work, or worse yet breaking the yarn! He laughs and tells me they are just trying to make their mommy smile. But it's very aggravating for me, the one working so hard!! Lol so....

:manyheart

He found a new item to aid in my plight! He went digging threw the massive selection on amazon in an effort to stop the terror of four dogs hurting my yarn! With suggestions from other male soldiers, it became a group effort, from what I learned talking to him about it. Eventually, the group agreed, upon an all wood, very nice, Amish yarn swift! (even tho the men all agreed, they could make one that is so much better, an stain it nicer and blah blah, she will just have to settle...) it arrived in the mail today, and I have week 7 all swifted up! Lol I have pictures I'll post later. I just thought we would all get a good kick out of fifteen men all leaning over a laptop, trying to figure out what to buy the crazy crocheting girlfriend, lol.

Hope it made y'all smile as it made me smile! :c9

Those poor guys must really need entertainment! I say the word "yarn" and my husband falls asleep. Your guy must be some keeper if not only pays attention, but recruits the help of others to pick out that swift for you!!

He will sit an watch me crochet. He thinks it's amazing that my little hands can make something so quickly. When i say i need to go get yarn, he's the first one in the truck, because he loves watching my face as I'm searching for yarn I like. Lol he says it's amazingly cute how something so simple can make me so happy.

They are very bored, as flights come and go where they are. So one second it's deadly quiet with nothing to do, then super busy suddenly as flights come in, ready for repairs and so forth. From my understanding, it was a quiet moment for these guys, and most of the shop were talking to their wives and families when he started the search, it took another trooper, whom I know, to step up and say that he should find something to help me, since I keep making random odds and ends for all the guys. It took my honey saying, well she wants a swift thing. But I have no idea what she's talking about.

The hunt was on, and more guys came to see what my honey and the trooper were giggling about. (umbrella swifts, they said it looks like a strange deadly weapon that would hurt). And as the search continued, they liked this Amish swift the best, plus as my honey said to all of them, we need something safe that my clumsy butt wouldnt get hurt by lol!

It was an effort that shows for a man who took 8 months to finally voice that he loves me, (the night before he deployed) showing that my hobbies and interests mean a great deal to him, and he's willing to help me keep steady. He also knows that crocheting is what is making this deployment go by for me and keeps my stress down to a very small amount. When I'm stressed, I grab a hook and start working, that or clean. Lol. Now im not saying y'alls honeys don't care about your hobbies or interests, but we are still a young couple. My dad brushes my moms cross stitch off with a very loud annoying yawn if she talks to him about it, and he walks away from her.

And to me, it shows he misses the little things.

Just like I do.

:yay

Hey Lori, My husband still calls what I do "knitting". Sigh.

BUt I have been quilting for more than 20 years and once I heard him while giving a speech talk about how it takes 4 things to make a good quilt, a top, some batting a sturdy backing and thread and applied the analogy to the city, businesses, citizens and something else..(we work for the city - he does a lot of public speaking). I was impressed.

Hey Lori, My husband still calls what I do "knitting". Sigh.

BUt I have been quilting for more than 20 years and once I heard him while giving a speech talk about how it takes 4 things to make a good quilt, a top, some batting a sturdy backing and thread and applied the analogy to the city, businesses, citizens and something else..(we work for the city - he does a lot of public speaking). I was impressed.

Oh my goodness! Knitting! Everybody says that when they see it. But meh it correct it by saying, Noo that's two needless! Lol. But if he knows what it takes to make a good quilt, and make an analogy, then at least he knows what your doing, I bet he loves it about you. :)

(¯`v´¯)

`*.¸.*´

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• Love it!!!! •¨¯`•

Grand idea!

My son is stationed in Virginia at the moment.

hmmm.... :think Navy colors? or RW&B? or his favorite colors? oh to decide!

I'll get back to you on this!

I cant wait to see your progress!

okay ... off to dive in my stash ... maybe that will help me decide on color.

:heart

:mug

Hi Teakaycee -- we have something very important in common! A son in the US Navy in Virginia! My son is a Mustang LT. His ship, USS Vella Gulf, just went on a 6 month deployment this past year, returning in January and now they are leaving again this fall for another 6 month cruise! That will be two years in a row missing his birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve with his wife and daughters. He did make it kind of nice for the girls and actually had a Christmas in January when he returned. His wife kept all the decorations up and they woke up on the designated morning and unwrapped presents just like it was Christmas. But it is still not quite the same and very lonely for them to spend these important dates out at sea.

I think a deployment afghan is a great idea. Not sure when to give it to them though, on departure, or return. Not sure I will get one done before he leaves so I may have to make it a welcome home gift.

I love the afghan so far. All the colors are so beautiful and go together so well. Can't wait to see the finished afghan. I know it will be huge. Want have to turn on any heat in the winter. Just cover up with the huge afghan. May have to turn on a/c though.:lol

Thank you so much for your wonderful compliments. I really appericate them and it makes me feel great knowing that at least im not the only insane one that thinks its beautiful.

As for our Navy moms, I suggest working on it like me while they are deployed, and saving it until they are going to leave again, then passing it to them, saying its to keep them warm on those cold nights on those ships, (which from my navy uncle who i called for information, lol like how long they are out, and if its a good idea to send a crocheted blanket out). He said they can get really cold in the winter on ship, and laughed and wished he could have had one. He is retired now. I would suggest their favorite colors, Navy colors, or maybe their kids favorite colors....OH I like that, their kids favorite colors, because then they can think of their babies while they use it, and be wrapped in the kids when they are asleep!! oh thats cute! I gotta start adding a color or two for my daughter now!

Krazy, here in texas we are in the worst draught that we have had in years! we need 15 inches of rain just to equal it out. so right now, the a/c is on, 105 degrees today! OMG SO HOT! but I do stitch early in the day or late at night! when its cool. in the winter, it will be getting use. being that it doesnt get to cold around here, 30 at night, 60 during the day, at its coldest, it will make for a nice heater! LOL

Well, Here is a preview of week 8.... :D

Its got a little bit of Sparkle, and I figured, every two months, I will get more with sparkles! it would be....a sign that I have made it this far. that its been two months, and then two more, and then two more. it would make me happy! I also got a lovey gift the other night, a phone call, and he talked my ear off. that was a new thing usually Im chatting it up with him. He says he misses me, and wants to come home already. I hated saying that we still have 10 months, actually 9 due to the waiting game for him to be done. R&R isnt until april :( so we have a while to see each other. We will make it!! Well off to start week 8

:crocheting

post-40223-135897682815_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897682819_thumb.jpg

Archived