Deployment blanket.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe I'll be joining you on making one of these(what an awesome idea btw). I'm about at the same point as you in weeks since dh deployed so mine won't be as big but that's ok too :). I'll add pictures in a few days when I get my first section done.

Well ladies, here she is. Week 12 is a mixed yarn of, purple, pink, grey, blue and green (the green looks kinda yellow) *my choice* and black, his choice, a lovely color combination. looks really good in my opinion. Then i got some shots of the whole blanket, I draped it over my queen sized bed, and as you can see, it drapes down past the bed, and falls completely over the mattress and box springs. this sucker is going to be one heck of a heirloom blanket. Ive got 38 more weeks to add to it. Im not doing the 2 weeks of R&R.....hence why they will be a little shorter then expected (of course once they come home, all bets are off on extra rows, because usually they come home early). Ive also decided if he gets extended *prays against that* Ill start a whole new blanket for those weeks. This is going to be a monster of a blanket.

:manyheart but I do love it. LOL :devil off to start week 13....

post-40223-135897693751_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897693756_thumb.jpg

post-40223-13589769376_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897693763_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897693766_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897693769_thumb.jpg

Wow! that's huge! It's beautiful, tho, and so much work.

Maybe it's time to start another one, a couple of smaller bedsize ones might be more useful in the future than one so big and heavy that you can't fit in your washer and dryer.... just something to think about. (you could make the next one in Autumn colors, then Winter.... they will show the seasons you missed together)

This thing is going to be huge! Lol

Matten, I would do that, but being that we have select color choices from him, seasonal doesn't work to well. So we are going to stick to the plan, of just making this one, doing the math, it's only 35 more strips to make, and I will be able to wash it, just at a laundry mat lol. The next weeks colors are a gold and mauve shade...they are really pretty and fit super well for our first week cooling off here in Texas. :)

:manyheart:hug

I'll post images when im done. :)

I'm curious where you get your yarn here or do you order it online? I'm not really impressed with hobby lobby's selection of colors & it's a good haul to Temple with my car seat hating toddler lol.

Anyway, my first strip is almost done, no thank you to my yarn loving dogs(who knew dogs would play with yarn??). I should have pictures tonight or tomorrow :)

I'm curious where you get your yarn here or do you order it online? I'm not really impressed with hobby lobby's selection of colors & it's a good haul to Temple with my car seat hating toddler lol.

Anyway, my first strip is almost done, no thank you to my yarn loving dogs(who knew dogs would play with yarn??). I should have pictures tonight or tomorrow :)

All my colors are I love this yarn from our local hobby lobby. Might not be the biggest selection, but if you mix'em right lol. Michaels has even smaller selection in temple, :(

As you have read, my honey got me a yarn swift to reduce dog munching. Yes all four of mind adore yarn. :(

Can't wait to see!

Where I live it is nearly impossible to find a laundry mat! Ha, I can see your kids trying to pull out the stitching between rows when it comes time to pass this heirloom down so they can split it between them.

You're going to have wall to wall crochet flooring soon. I have a queen size bed and always think that I could never stick with a project long enough to make it for my bed! You have made me look lazy!!

Where I live it is nearly impossible to find a laundry mat! Ha, I can see your kids trying to pull out the stitching between rows when it comes time to pass this heirloom down so they can split it between them.

You're going to have wall to wall crochet flooring soon. I have a queen size bed and always think that I could never stick with a project long enough to make it for my bed! You have made me look lazy!!

Well, the good news, laundry mats are everywhere here. So finding one won't be an issue. I only have one baby, so no fighting over it, and we don't want any more but her.

If you split the project into weekly tasks or (for my parents Cali king) 30 squares or so, it comes together quickly. It doesn't look like you can do it, but over time you get there. :)

Okay here's my first strip, I haven't bordered it yet & I think I'll only be doing a strip every 2 weeks because of time constraints :/ It'll still be a good sized blanket!!

I was noticing it looks weird like it's narrower in one area but I just went & double checked, it's not. Must have been the way it was laying.

th_get-attachmentaspx.jpg

Eta: I don't usually have problems but I couldn't seem to get the actual image on the board. I'll have to fish around & see if I can figure it out.

here is week 13, ill post fourteen (unbordered) and 15 sometime tonight. 15 is getting made as we speak. Sorry for the delay ladies, just a lot of running around has come up. Alot of issues also have come up that I cant really talk about so with all the extra get up and go Ive fallen behind sadly.

post-40223-135897698561_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897698566_thumb.jpg

here is week 13, ill post fourteen (unbordered) and 15 sometime tonight. 15 is getting made as we speak. Sorry for the delay ladies, just a lot of running around has come up. Alot of issues also have come up that I cant really talk about so with all the extra get up and go Ive fallen behind sadly.

It looks great!! :yesI have my yarn for my second strip & part of it going, I also have 2 baby blankets to uh..start/finish(shhh I'm behind on everything) so I have nothing to share yet.

You'd think deployments would be more time to relax but noooo it seems it gets busier & busier doesn't it? I just got a gift cert to the lys but I haven't even found the time to get over there either!

• 2 weeks later...

SO SORRY LADIES!

Life has gotten crazy with power outages, thunderstorms, transformers blowing, and of course, the prep for the holidays now starting up, dear lord Ive fallen behind. So now that I am down with the first fall cold, I started with week 14, and finished with week 15, bordered and attached, whew. today Im going to blitz week 16 (we started week 17 TODAY! EEK!) so im going to get those all knocked out and get another picture posted today, or tomorrow, and im caught UP! YES!! the insanity of life just kept me from doing it. Thank you for a cold, first time ive ever been happy to get a cold! I also have another present coming in, here in 7 to 12 days, I have no idea what, he just said, I would love it.

SO here yah are, Week 13, the plum and mustard strip, Week 14 a really pretty dark Mauve and rich blue, and last but not least hot pink and hot blue!

:manyheart

post-40223-135897700507_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897700512_thumb.jpg

Holy crap you're awesome! I haven't finished the 2nd strip yet, now I'm feeling motivated to do so! I'm sifting through a giant box of yarn my mother sent for the next strip too.

Your blanket is gorgeous! Keep us updated on what the surprise is!

Tonight is the first time Ive seen this thread, That is really pretty, I ve really enjoyed reading the posts it was lots of fun to read it.

Our brave men and woman in our services deserve to be thanked for the work they do to keep us safe.

My brother retired from the air force a few years ago.

I see their are 2 of you doing these afghans. Keep us updated on your progress.

Week 16 down. Week 17 almost done. I'll take pictures before I border and attach. Once they are there I'm caught up. Thank goodness!!!

On the surprise, it's something expensive after a check to the bank account....like 136.98$ expensive! Doesn't say where it was bought. He told me 6 to 8 weeks for delivery, and that it ships on the 14th. He's up to something!

33 more weeks. Can't this be over? I'm ready for him to come home. Does that sound bad?

Archived