Deployment blanket.

Hello ladies!

I know a lot of us ladies have relations that are deployed, from mothers and fathers, husbands and wives, sons and daughters. My honey and I talked the other day, he deployed 2 weeks ago, and I had gotten an idea for a blanket a week into his deployment.

My idea was very simple. And he loved the idea. (this from a man that doesn't even know if it's knitting or crochet.) I decided i would buy 1 skien of yarn in his favorite color. And 1 in mine. I would double strand the colors together, until all of it was used in the stitch. I'm thinking half double crochet. Border it in white. The next week, (as a reason to get out of the house...lol) I would get 2 more in varying shades or our favorite colors, stitch them up...border. Then end project will be 52 strips. As long as a normal large skien. 352 yds of ILTY from hobby lobby.

The strips will be 20 stitches wide. And then until then yarn runs out. To work on until the yarn runs out for the week. Super easy pattern, super easy idea....but to me it will keep me sane. It will be both our colors, that we love. At this point I'll be going out to get the yarn this evening. I'll start the first strip and post pictures.

So ladies, and gents the few that are here!

It doesnt have to be for a deployment blanket, it can be a labor of love. 52 strips, a strip a week. Border, whip stitch. If any of y'all are looking for a project to keep you occupied that isn't a big major project, but will take a year! Join me!

I'll post a picture of my starting.

This will be my labor of love for his homecoming. If you got somebody deployed, or who is away a lot, we can be here for each other!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a fabulous idea, i wish you many happy crochet stitches doing it! What better gift for when he returns! What are the colors you are using? I am not going to do one, just will be watching this thread for your progress! Good luck, and have a "ball" .. pun intended! he he.....

(¯`v´¯)

`*.¸.*´

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• Love it!!!! •¨¯`•

Grand idea!

My son is stationed in Virginia at the moment.

hmmm.... :think Navy colors? or RW&B? or his favorite colors? oh to decide!

I'll get back to you on this!

I cant wait to see your progress!

okay ... off to dive in my stash ... maybe that will help me decide on color.

:heart

:mug

That's a fabulous idea, i wish you many happy crochet stitches doing it! What better gift for when he returns! What are the colors you are using? I am not going to do one, just will be watching this thread for your progress! Good luck, and have a "ball" .. pun intended! he he.....

He wants blues, whites, Greys, and black, with oranges as a random ooo I like that color. Mine will be mostly pinks, purples and yellows. They are our favorite colors. And since they blend so well...it's going to look wonderful. With a white single crochet border. It's probably going to be huge tho lol.

Amazing idea! What if someone wanted to make an afghan but they don't know anyone deployed? I wish I had time to do this and a bunch of other projects for a good cause, but I have to get some things squared away for people here. Good luck to everyone on this CAL in their endeavors.

Amazing idea! What if someone wanted to make an afghan but they don't know anyone deployed? I wish I had time to do this and a bunch of other projects for a good cause, but I have to get some things squared away for people here. Good luck to everyone on this CAL in their endeavors.

It doesnt have to be for somebody deployed or somebody who is gone for a year. I was just saying what it was for me! Anybody can join in! Deployment or not! :)

Oh. Kind of a duh moment. I'm sorry. It sounds like an awesome idea! My thoughts are with you and your partner. Take care!

Okay, week 1 colors, hot rose and graybeard. By hobby lobby I love this yarn.

Week 2 mixed berry and dark country blue.

I'll have pictures of the skeins and the first strip soon. I'll be using linen (the color) for the border. :) off to get busy!

:crocheting

Such a very nice idea and way to honor your loved one while they are away serving our country! My son goes out to sea for a 6 month cruise this fall. He had one this past fall too! That is 2 Thanksgiving and Christmases away from loved ones -- very hard on the wife and kids too! I might think of some adaptation of your idea and send him something. I have been meaning to make the flag afghan for him. This would be a nice time to do that.

Such a very nice idea and way to honor your loved one while they are away serving our country! My son goes out to sea for a 6 month cruise this fall. He had one this past fall too! That is 2 Thanksgiving and Christmases away from loved ones -- very hard on the wife and kids too! I might think of some adaptation of your idea and send him something. I have been meaning to make the flag afghan for him. This would be a nice time to do that.

God Bless your son my dear!!!

Oh.... a flag'ghan would be lovely!

It's hard on families when they spend so much time away from their families. I'm an army brat so I know and understand. Bless him for everything he has done. And bless you and all the rest of his family for his serivice.

:manyheart

alright ladies, here is the start. this is the rose and greybeard colors. the white is the border. and the other shades are the next strip. on the first, ill buy more colors, ill be getting 8 shades, so i can catch up two weeks that im behind on. the other 2 weeks for the actual payday. i am using half double crochet because its a smoother look in my opinion. its 19 stitches across. and a n 9mm hook.

ta da!! :c9

post-40223-135897668267_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897668278_thumb.jpg

post-40223-135897668287_thumb.jpg

post-40223-13589766829_thumb.jpg

This is really cool - I absolutely love this concept - can't wait to see how this turns out - please keep posting pictures - I'm really enjoying this even if I'm not crocheting along (too many WIP already) :)

Thank you. I should have my first strip done in a few days! It's turning out great!

:hook

alright ladies, here is the start. this is the rose and greybeard colors. the white is the border. and the other shades are the next strip. on the first, ill buy more colors, ill be getting 8 shades, so i can catch up two weeks that im behind on. the other 2 weeks for the actual payday. i am using half double crochet because its a smoother look in my opinion. its 19 stitches across. and a n 9mm hook.

ta da!! :c9

That is coming along fantastic! What a neat idea!!!!

·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸Good Morning·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

WOW..................... that is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!

·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸Good Morning·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

WOW..................... that is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!

Thank you. Week 1 down working on week two. Should be done in a few days. Tomorrow is the end of week three. I'm behind a little but I'll catch up! Lol I measured the strip, it's 84 inches long, 8 inches across. So its pretty big, lol I don't mind, my trooper is a pretty big guy. Lol. He asks about how it's going everyday. Curious to know how "our" blanket is doing. He says he can't wait to come home a use it. :manyheart

Well off to entertain fur babies and the munchkin. I'll post new pictures soon! :yes

Week 2, mixed berry and old country blue. Started it yesterday and ta da, its moving right along.

:cheer

Oh goodness.................thats going to be a really neat afghan!

Archived