Introducing....Best of Crochet Awards

Amy

Donna and I are thinking about creating a "Best of Crochet" our very own contest here at Crochetville. The idea is to recognize the best of crochet throughout the crochet industry for 2011. If we decide to do this, one idea is to announce the winners just before the Chain Link conference at the end of September. (I just don't think we can pull it together before Chain Link in July.) Here's how it would work:

How the "Best Of" Contest Would Work

--We'll provide a list of categories (Best Crochet Book, Best Indie Accessories Design, Best Women's Wear Designer, Best Toy Pattern Published at Crochetville, you get the idea).

--Crochetville members will be able to submit nominations for each category.

--Donna and I will look over submissions and select finalists for each category.

--Members will vote.

--We'll announce the winners, giving a cute "digital award" to each winner that they can use on their websites, promotional items, wherever they wish.

Needed Now---From YOU!

--Name for the contest: Post your creative ideas for a contest name here.

--Category Suggestions: Are there specific categories you'd like to see us give an award for? Let us know!

Thanks, Flia! Come on, everyone, don't you have suggestions for a name for our awards or some suggested categories we can use to recognize outstanding people/businesses in the crochet industry?

There's got to be some cute crochet-related name for the awards! But my brain just isn't coming up with it. :blush

Flia, that's a good idea. Do you have any more specific ideas about the types of accomplishments/activities that would qualify someone to be a nominee for such an award? Are you thinking of something like a "Lifetime Achievement Award" or something different?

This could be a lot of fun! :)

some thoughts...

Best Crochetville Toy Design

Best Crochetville Wearable Design

Best Crochetville Thread Design (I especially like thread ;) )

(etc?)

Best Indie-site (blog/etsy?)

Blessing Crochet Community Award/Lifetime Achievement/

Best Moderators Ever (I think that category's already gotten filled with winners ;) )

Jimbo, where are you? help us name the trophy...and some prizes!

Flia, that's a good idea. Do you have any more specific ideas about the types of accomplishments/activities that would qualify someone to be a nominee for such an award? Are you thinking of something like a "Lifetime Achievement Award" or something different?

I was thinking someone who promotes crochet, changes adversarie's minds, brings crochet into people's minds...

Just want to make sure that everyone realizes the awards will apply to the entire crochet industry, and not just what takes place here at Crochetville.

We do intend to give special recognition to some Crochetville-specific things, though, such as the designers who so generously post their patterns here for free. :hook

Great idea! And a name for the award??? Ok ..how about the Coup de Ville? oooooh I like that one!

The (Crochetville) Hook and Yarn Awards? The 2011 Crochetville Awards? The award could be a giant hook with Crochetville stamped in the handle. My, those are bad ideas! :lol

I agree with category awards for best afghan, clothing (which could be subdivided into individual awards for sweaters, vests, shawls, etc.), home decoration patterns, etc. How about a manufacturing category for new yarns or yarn lines introduced in the calendar year? How about best crochet magazine? How about regional crochet-friendly LYS's in the US (which could be divided into regions and members from those regions could submit a store, and offer why they are nominated, e.g., offer several crochet classes in addition to knit, always feature sample garments and items in crochet as well as knit, etc.). Best pattern book is a good idea, too.

And I'll start the nominating for the designer of the year awards right now: Annette Petavy, Julia Visconsin, and our own Lisa Naskrent have really helped re-define crochet in wearables and childrens clothes and baby afghans. Those three women cannot create a bad pattern even if they try! Lifetime Achievement? Oh dear, I've completely blanketed on the name of the woman who started CGOA, but she's my nominee.

I would like to see something related to charitable crochet - perhaps a person who is charitable AND something for the charitable cause?

Thread Crochet

Tunisian

Interlocking

Overall Designs

Men's ware

Women's ware

Kid's ware

Infant ware

uh....

Best New Upcoming Designer (pick me pick me!) hehehehe

This is a great idea, I like the Hook and Yarn awards title, and the categories all presented so far sound great to me. Home decor can also be divided into categories as well, as can thread crochet.

Great ideas, everyone! Keep them coming!

How about I keep this open through May 31 for everyone to suggest a contest name and various categories?

Ok... How about THIS category:

BEST LOOKING MALE CROCHETVILLE MEMBER WHO LOVES ROSERED'S LUMBERJACK FLANNELGHAN, MAKES HOOKS AND WAS THE DESIGNER OF THE FAMOUS "PRINGLES" BRAND SNACK CHIP CONTAINER COZY.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Will there be different categories for professional and indie designers?

That is something we've thought about doing, if we're able to make this happen. :)

Archived