Yet Another Pineapple Shawl

Starpoint Lee

I've wanted to jump on the pineapple shawl bandwagon since the first time I saw one posted here a couple of months ago. Amy's (Yarn Angel) gorgeous shawl finally got me going, and I made the jump :).

I made note of the pattern corrections (thanks Amy!) and grabbed 5 skeins of my favorite (albeit sometimes annoying) yarn, black Microspun. I used an N hook, which gave me a large and lacey result. I do like the large and drapey look, but may try a smaller hook the next time (maybe a J or K) if I use the sport weight Microspun again. Here's the result modeled by my 5' 3 1/2" 15 year old daughter, who currently prefers a sultry look to a smile (should I tell her that her "sultry" comes across more like "sulky???" ;)

For those who may have missed it elsewhere, here's the original 1944 doily pattern with corrections from Amy's post:

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/PineFan.html - actual pattern

Pattern correction:

at the begining on row 1 its suppose to be ch3, 16 dc in ring, ch 3 turn

round 2 is dc in next 15 dc

round 3 should be a total of 34 dc counting the turning ch

I just LOVE this pattern! Can't wait to wear it:bounce

--Lee

pineappleshawlback-rs.jpg

pineappleshawlfrontcl-rs.jpg

pineappleshawlfront2-rs.jpg

pineappleshawlfrontcl2-rs.jpg

is it too long to wear tied around the waist as well?

When I want it as a shorter shawl, I roll or fold the top. That makes a sort of collar or lapel. I suppose you could do the same wearing it around the waist and it would make a sash-look, but I think mine might be too wide to wear it around the waist. I'll try it out tomorrow :).

I'd probably use a smaller hook, which makes a smaller garment. You could also try using a heavier weight yarn. Microspun is sport weight, but I love the drape and movement it produces.

--Lee

very very nice, you did a great job, i love the way it drapes around you. is just what i would look for in a shawl pattern. now will have to add that to my to do list:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek:devil :devil :devil :devil :devil thanks for sharing:hug :hug :hug

Well this made me bring out my printed paper to the top of the pile!! I too love microspun but I am afraid to use it for the fear that I may not have enough to complete a project:) I just keep fondling it and then putting it away for a "special" project lol!!!

Very nicely done and modelled!

hugs

Vims

Thank you all very much :blush.

It was the first time I'd done anything in pineapples (also my first "show and tell" here in C'ville), but I was so taken with the concept of creating a shawl from a doily pattern, and so impressed with the results I saw here, that I had to try. Thanks for the encouragement :).

--Lee

YOU GO GIRL!! :yay

You think like i do. i have seen many patterns that are very interesting but the use for it is just "not down my ally" but i try to use the concept for other ideas like a doily for the top part of a hat and so forth.. what you made was a very creative approach ;)

from Korjuen

Archived