question about a gift

I'm making a basket weave baby blanket for my niece for her first baby. I've already made a white, lacy christening type blanket, some bibs & a hat to go with the white blanket & I need to stuff & assemble a toy.

Here's my question - The shower is this Sunday & I may not be done with the basketweave afghan. She's due the first of May. My husband says to wrap it up, unfinished, with a note that explains that I need to finish it, but I want her to see it now & will get it to her when it's finished. I think that it will look like I'm fishing for compliments from everyone. I feel like it would be better to finish it & give it to them when the baby is born. What do you think? :think

Personally - I would buy her something small for the shower and then give her the blanket when it is done. I think I would feel the same as you are thinking - feeling like being show-offy even if that is not the intent.

In my little humble opinion, I wouldn't show an unfinished gift. I would, however, give her the items you have already finished and then surprise her when you do finish the basketweave afghan and the little toy. This way, it wouldn't look like you didn't have enough time to do it all. And I also agree, some people would look like you are fishing for compliments.

LI Roe

Yep I agree, you could always write a sort of promise you note or something to go with the things you already have. I think the basket weave blanket and the toy would be lovely for when the baby arrives.

Are you giving her the bibs and christening blanket at this shower?

I would not worry about the larger blanket. Just give her the gifts that are finished and give her the other blanket when the baby is born.

I had a Great Aunt who used to give us a piece of silver (fork , knife spoons) with our gifts. Only sometimes she did not actually have them at the time we all got together so her cards would have a note "I owe you a spoon".

Another Aunt would send the birthday cards on time but they would say "Watch for a package"!

So, your card could read "Blanket to be delivered"

Thanks everyone. I won't stress this week to finish the blanket. I'll give it as a gift when the baby is born. I told my DH that I'd ask everyone on the 'Ville their opinion & go with that & he knows that he can't argue with the members here!!

I've done that - wrapped a baby afghan that wasn't finished - nobody seemed to think it was terrible, or anything. I wanted the recipient to see that I was working on something for her and I promised to get it to her as soon as possible. I actually delivered it to her while she was in the hospital after giving birth, so I guess it was done right on time! :lol Maybe it depends on how close you are to your niece. If your relationship is not close, then it may come across wrong, but if you're close, I'm sure she'd understand.

I think a basket weave blanket wouldn't get the attention it deserved next to a lacy Christening set. I think that the set and assorted other goodies are great for the shower. It's wonderful to get a gift with the birth of the child as well.

If you want her to know she's getting the blanket I would quietly tell her that you're still working on a surprise for later at the shower or afterwards.

I don't know what the difference is if it were complete or not. I guess I don't get the 'fishing for compliments" thing. I have given a blanket that wasn't quite done and i finished it at the shower after she opened it (It was that close to being done lol) I didnt see a problem and I don't think anyone else did.

If we don't want compliments then we'd better not give hand made items? I sure hope someone doesn't think that something I made, that is unique, could be bought in a store :D

My vote is to give what is finished and then give the blanket later when that's finished. Main reason being I don't trust anything to go well until it's finished. Like running out of yarn, same dye lots actually being different, the hairy-butts somehow getting into the project and causing damage, etc.

I guess I don't get the 'fishing for compliments" thing.
I do. I have very few friends who do handwork of any sort. I feel extremely conspicuous when I give my things in a public setting, which is why I kind of avoid giving them at places like showers.

I agree to not give a half-made gift. I knew someone who used to do that and then not necessarily finish for years! If something happened to keep you from finishing in a timely fashion it would worry you, and make the new mother wonder if you really meant it. Give at least a token gift now and your lovely blanket later.

Thanks for all the input. I'll stick with the basketweave blankie & stuffed toy as a gift when the baby is born. Some of my hesitation is that while I get along fine with all my SIL's, I know they sometimes think that I'm grandstanding. (their word, not mine) They feel that I grew up more affluent than they did - we had an inground pool (no pool service - just us kids) & two horses (no stable hands - just us kids). If I showed up with TWO blankets, one of them not even finished, well, just start the eye rolls & whisperings. The oldest (70 yrs) starts & the younger follow......so one blanket set will be enough, for now. ;) Some sun hats for summer, a hoodie for fall, then Christmas...... :P lol

Hers an idea.

Take a picture of the Work in Progress.

Then, she can look forward to seeing it , when your finished making it.

This is how I would go about it, unless

you do not know her that well.

Yep, I'd give the Christening set at the shower (sounds gorgeous, by the way!) and the basketweave & toy as a "Welcome to the World" gift later, you could actually give that to the baby instead of the mom if you wanted... ;)

<Opens penny jar, digs out two cents, tosses it into the thread......

I agree with most of what has been said especially about gosh how generous you are being in the gifts that are finsihed, and giving the other one that you are working on when the baby is born. I think the photo idea is a neat idea, if you like, but fine without it. I feel you must be close to this niece, or you would not give so much of yourself in your work as someone you don't know well, and one more thing, *tosses in a couple more cents worth, I do think the Christening set, most definately will be greatly loved and appreciated, oohed and ahhed at, (not fishing for compliments, simply acknowledging your beaufiful work, and you ccepting them, with grace, ) as will the basketweave blanket be at the birth day of the new baby! Either way, your are a very nice Auntie!! ANd Im sure your gifts will be treasured for many years to come! :yes

You could take a picture of you working feverishly on the afghan. Make it as corny & funny as possible -- then write a little poem or just a note if you don't like that sort of thing about how you were trying to finish but it's not quite done; but you'll keep on working and promise it will make it here before her little one. :)

Actually if you have the white set -- that seems like plenty for a shower gift for now and the basketweave one will make a wonderful "hello baby gift" when it comes.

Archived